Used 2002 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Land-rover Range-rover - Consumer Reviews

4.6 HSE 4.6L V8 4x4 4-speed Automatic - (15 reviews )

Most Helpful|
An Expensive Ride
By INSTANT ROVER FAN

2002 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

So far so good. I took over this Range Rover after it was garage kept and pampered at every routine dealer maintenance suggestion. I continue to do the same and have not been disappointed. It's an expensive vehicle to maintain, but it will not disappoint when its called to duty. Yes, the vehicle has some quirks, but its something I have found in each vehicle I have owned. Nothing is perfect, but this vehicle gets me and my family where we need to go regardless of the weather and most importantly it does it safely. Luxury is one thing, but safety and reliability is top priority in my book and that is why I chose the 2002 Range Rover as the chariot of choice.

Favorite Features

I love the overall look and agree that it is a timeless style. The windows are designed in a away that there are no obstacles to block your view of the road or the scenery around you. Touring in this fine vehicle is a great way to escape life's stresses. What a feeling behind the wheel!

Suggested Improvements

Yes,something should be done concerning the poor mileage. One should also consider that the weight of this vehicle is the main reason for the poor mileage. I prefer a heavy suv with poor mileage than a light suv with better mileage. You are safer in a heavier vehicle. It's the simple law of physics.

Stellar vehicle all the way around!
By eyefleye

2002 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Going on five years with my Rangey and surprisingly zero problems. I love the timeless styling and comfort. I bought 1 of 300 Westminster editions and hardly see any others on the road. I live in Atlanta and I think there's only one more here in town! Sturdy build quality, parts & paint keep her looking sweet and sexy, like the day she came off the truck. I bought it with 50k on it and now we're at 109k, nothing but routine maintenance. I bought the warranty through 100k and didn't use it once. I'm a true believer that if you take care of these Rovers, they'll last forever. My local shop says mine is one of the dryest underneath they've seen, for the mileage.

Favorite Features

Classic styling, not flashy, great reliability. Creature comforts are great, Westminster has upgraded leather that is plusher than standard HSE. At 109k there aren't even any squeaks or rattles that tend to plague Japanese and American SUVs. All electronics are well designed and conveniently usable.

Suggested Improvements

None...other than fuel economy, but if you're buying any large SUV you should know what you're in for. Comparably, the Rovers aren't any worse than most others.

Mixed Bag
By ff120

2002 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my Range Rover with low miles on it. It is a great vehicle to drive that has many problems. The air suspension gave me fits. I had to eventually replace the entire system with regular shocks. The cooling system is always giving problems also. Funny enough I still love the car. It is great in bad snow and rain. Besides the trips to the shop for maintanence it has been reliable. The door locks and windows will act up at times along with the check engine light. By the way the SRS light is "haunted", its goes off in warm weather. The engine and trans are perfect. The body is rugged and the interior still looks new. For the money the door rubber should be better. Good car needs work

Favorite Features

The look. The performance on the highway.

Suggested Improvements

Better small parts. The plastics on the armrests, and more reliable sensors. A much better air suspension system.

Not a good buy.
By Rover Mom

2002 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This SUV is always in the shop. Air suspension, auto locks go up and down while driving, truck "thought alarm was on" and wouldn't start ...left me stranded. It has something wrong with the steering. A/C and radio control buttons fall off. These are all reccuring problems that never get resolved at the dealer. And I've only had it 11 months. Like the looks and ride, but terribly dissapointed with maintenance. Did I mention it's a huge gas guzzler?

Better Buy Two
By rockman

2002 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Looking back, I should have bought 2 of these so I would always have one to drive while the other was in the shop getting repaired. It's great off road and reasonably comfortable on the highway. If I were to ever buy one again, not likely, I would sell it the day the warranty expired. Since the warranty expired about 3 years ago, I have averaged $3000/yr in repairs and I have all the receipts to show for it. Lastly, my RR leaks like a sieve when it rains and the dealer can't seem to find out from where. I actually drilled a hole in the spare tire well to let the water drain out on its own so I wouldn't have to suck it out with a hose after every rain.

Favorite Features

Off road handling, air suspension when working, built like a tank, exterior styling

Suggested Improvements

Performance, gas mileage, reliability, navigation system is outdated and years behind other SUV's, interior plastic cracks too easy.