2002 Land Rover Range Rover - Consumer Reviews

4.6 HSE 4.6L V8 4x4 4-speed Automatic - (15 reviews )
An Expensive Ride
By INSTANT ROVER FAN on 12/04/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

So far so good. I took over this Range Rover after it was garage kept and pampered at every routine dealer maintenance suggestion. I continue to do the same and have not been disappointed. It's an expensive vehicle to maintain, but it will not disappoint when its called to duty. Yes, the vehicle has some quirks, but its something I have found in each vehicle I have owned. Nothing is perfect, but this vehicle gets me and my family where we need to go regardless of the weather and most importantly it does it safely. Luxury is one thing, but safety and reliability is top priority in my book and that is why I chose the 2002 Range Rover as the chariot of choice.

Mixed Bag
By ff120 on 12/18/09 18:25 PM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my Range Rover with low miles on it. It is a great vehicle to drive that has many problems. The air suspension gave me fits. I had to eventually replace the entire system with regular shocks. The cooling system is always giving problems also. Funny enough I still love the car. It is great in bad snow and rain. Besides the trips to the shop for maintanence it has been reliable. The door locks and windows will act up at times along with the check engine light. By the way the SRS light is "haunted", its goes off in warm weather. The engine and trans are perfect. The body is rugged and the interior still looks new. For the money the door rubber should be better. Good car needs work

Expensive piece of junk!!!
By Shaniece on 07/20/09 23:56 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

...horrible...I purchased a Range Rover from someone and in less than 24 hours, it caught on fire and burned up on the way to the guys mechanic, with my 3 year old in the car. I didn't even get a chance to insure it, because it was a weekend. I contacted Range Rover, they were like "oh well" and even took the seller to court for my down pmt back . Get this...he tried to counter sue me for pain and suffering for not receiving the remainder balance, and report my check because I stopped them. The judge did not rule in my favor, and I lost the fastest $5k ever in history...at least for me. I'm still devastated.

Stellar vehicle all the way around!
By eyefleye on 11/06/08 16:31 PM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Going on five years with my Rangey and surprisingly zero problems. I love the timeless styling and comfort. I bought 1 of 300 Westminster editions and hardly see any others on the road. I live in Atlanta and I think there's only one more here in town! Sturdy build quality, parts & paint keep her looking sweet and sexy, like the day she came off the truck. I bought it with 50k on it and now we're at 109k, nothing but routine maintenance. I bought the warranty through 100k and didn't use it once. I'm a true believer that if you take care of these Rovers, they'll last forever. My local shop says mine is one of the dryest underneath they've seen, for the mileage.

I know but I still can't part with it
By Rocks5 on 08/07/08 08:23 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We are into 6 years with this car and have had issues (all handled by warranty and extended warranty) but can't part with it. It has had enough work to seem new still and rides like it. It tows like a truck and during the worst Colorado winter on recent record was the only vehicle to get out of the neighborhood(including Hummers and a Ford f250 4 wheel drive). We have an SRX Caddy awd and an Audi w Quattro. We keep the RR as a second car now, but, when it snows the Range is what my wife insists on having drives. It's quirky but gets the job done when we really need it.

Better Buy Two
By rockman on 07/11/08 08:52 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Looking back, I should have bought 2 of these so I would always have one to drive while the other was in the shop getting repaired. It's great off road and reasonably comfortable on the highway. If I were to ever buy one again, not likely, I would sell it the day the warranty expired. Since the warranty expired about 3 years ago, I have averaged $3000/yr in repairs and I have all the receipts to show for it. Lastly, my RR leaks like a sieve when it rains and the dealer can't seem to find out from where. I actually drilled a hole in the spare tire well to let the water drain out on its own so I wouldn't have to suck it out with a hose after every rain.

The true King of SUV
By browrck on 01/17/08 11:20 AM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I brought this vehile with 27,000 miles on it. I had a Jeep and a Envoy before this, they are a 5 with the Range Rover being a 10. Gas mileage is poor 14mpg around town and 20hwy, but it weighted almost 5000lbs, so what can you say. There Rover can go any where, if you need to go thru snow this the vehile. I looked at the Hummer H2, but it looked to cheat on the inside and just felt cheat. I also looked an the BMW X-5, but like the Rover seating much better. My wife like it a lot and she have a BMW X-5.

5 years no problems
By sony on 01/14/07 14:00 PM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have had this vehicle for 5 years and have had no problems and would recommend it highly to anyone looking at one. This is the only vehicle that I have purchased and not leased and I don't regret it for one second.

Not a good buy.
By Rover Mom on 09/18/06 15:56 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This SUV is always in the shop. Air suspension, auto locks go up and down while driving, truck "thought alarm was on" and wouldn't start ...left me stranded. It has something wrong with the steering. A/C and radio control buttons fall off. These are all reccuring problems that never get resolved at the dealer. And I've only had it 11 months. Like the looks and ride, but terribly dissapointed with maintenance. Did I mention it's a huge gas guzzler?

Four years later
By Christophe on 09/08/06 13:08 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Have proudly owned 2002 for four years, 42-k miles, and had one problem with valve on suspension. Drives like no other, and best is last of true british design. Not the BMW/Ford redo. Original design stands for no nonsense, a true Rover owner.