Love/Hate Relationship
By wytex on
2001 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)
I love the look and image of Land Rovers and Jaguars. The 2001 Range Rover that I purchased has had way too many problems, but it still has an appeal that makes me continue sinking money into to keep it rolling. The styling has a classic appearance that makes it's age irrelevant. I like to fly fish and this vehicle is a perfect match to my bamboo fly rod and Filson vest and waders. Once I reach 200K miles in this vehicle I will likely buy a newer Range Rover and go through the whole love/hate routine again.
Favorite Features
The whole concept of the car is very appealing with class on the road and serious capability off. The interior is nice, but has been eclipsed by the newer models by a significant margin. I appreciate the quality of materials across the board and the amazing visibility. The vehicle will never look dated.
Suggested Improvements
Too many to mention. Reliability is just pathetic. Can't imagine how something that looks this good and is this rugged can be a vehicle constantly on the verge of a breakdown. This vehicle is best used in and around your home base as an extended trip can and will be a disaster if you own it long enough. Also, find a good mechanic and send him a Harry and David gift each month.