2001 Land Rover Range Rover SUV Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Love/Hate Relationship
By wytex

2001 Land Rover Range Rover SUV 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I love the look and image of Land Rovers and Jaguars. The 2001 Range Rover that I purchased has had way too many problems, but it still has an appeal that makes me continue sinking money into to keep it rolling. The styling has a classic appearance that makes it's age irrelevant. I like to fly fish and this vehicle is a perfect match to my bamboo fly rod and Filson vest and waders. Once I reach 200K miles in this vehicle I will likely buy a newer Range Rover and go through the whole love/hate routine again.

Favorite Features

The whole concept of the car is very appealing with class on the road and serious capability off. The interior is nice, but has been eclipsed by the newer models by a significant margin. I appreciate the quality of materials across the board and the amazing visibility. The vehicle will never look dated.

Suggested Improvements

Too many to mention. Reliability is just pathetic. Can't imagine how something that looks this good and is this rugged can be a vehicle constantly on the verge of a breakdown. This vehicle is best used in and around your home base as an extended trip can and will be a disaster if you own it long enough. Also, find a good mechanic and send him a Harry and David gift each month.

worst SUV
By leboniz

2001 Land Rover Range Rover SUV 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I spent thousands of dollars on repairs air suspension failed converted to coil spring with new shocks $2500 at landrover specialist, water pump failed $600 , heater core leaked inashboard $1800 due to dashbomoval, overheated due to radiator leaks $550 , Alternator & battery $1000 , windows regulator $600 , windows master switch $180, tires $600, brakes pads & rotors $400, Muffler $350, coolant tank $120, at end electric problem in door actuator door can not open & AC heater control stoped, rĂ¡dio stoped, , transfercase chain stretched out, i gave up and sold at big lost $3000 , it ruined my life and hard earned money :(

status
By broncoyianni

2001 Land Rover Range Rover SUV 4.6 SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

this is one of the most comfortable vehicles on the road, you feel like you are in charge and own the highway, it has some quirks, but what car doesn't, i feel very safe and that is a big factor in driving on the roads today, it is a driving dream, feel as though i could drive it coast to coast non-stop, the biggest thing is keeping up on maintenance, preventive is always the best way, get a feel for your rover, it's a status symbol that you will always enjoy, mine has a 102,000 miles, going real strong, if you do buy one make sure the air ride is in place, a little maintenance, but the ride is worth it.

Favorite Features

comfort, air ride, top of the world feeling.

Suggested Improvements

none at this time, the car is a dream.

Beauty and Beast
By Coolerking

2001 Land Rover Range Rover SUV 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this to drive in comfort on the highway and never get stranded offroad. It excells at both. I hit a deer head-on at 65mph and was able to drive 80 miles home with all lights working and no steering problems-a very solid vehicle! Had the bladder leak on one of my suspension bags- replaced it with Gen III air bladders from Arnott and Bilstein shocks-now it's awesome squared! It's just a real pleasure to drive it anywhere. I want the most bang for my buck and I've got it with this. So far, except for more horsepower, the later model styles don't appeal to me as much as the P- 38. Turning radius and maneuverability is amazing. The first day I drove it I parallel parked it in ONE move!

Favorite Features

air suspension body style plush interior it's a RANGE ROVER

Suggested Improvements

better availability of parts- bumperguard is no longer available computer has OCD get familiar with a good Range Rover forum

Luxury, I think NOT!
By Michael

2001 Land Rover Range Rover SUV 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

So after owning two Acuras, I stepped down apparently into a Range Rover. Problems: Handle broke off when opening hood, plastic. Door handles breaking off, car's suspension deflates in the cold, takes 15 minutes to get it up. A/C didn't work well in summer, screen went out. DVD player doesn't work now, CD player doesn't work, back lights went out and bulbs don't fix it. Back lid won't stay up, pieces break off of this car constantly. Hood thinks it's open when it's not, key fab broke, and door locks don't work right. Sometimes car won't start and give reason why. I've spent about 3,000 on this car in less than 8 months (about 1/3 what I paid for the car in first place. FUN TIMES!

Favorite Features

12 m/p/g on Supreme, yippee

Suggested Improvements

Have designers hired from Toyota and Honda start building this piece of crap luxury vehicle. Recall all the things that SO MANY people complain about, rather than take us for $140/hr at the dealership on repairs required to be done by YOUR mechanics with their special computer!

Great vehicle
By Maryland

2001 Land Rover Range Rover SUV 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We bought this Rover certified used with 20K miles on it in 2003. We have used it ever since, and have put 51K more miles on it. We had issues with the air suspension (replaced under warranty) and the radio (an amp blew) but otherwise the Rover has been rock solid. We get a solid 17mph, which I consider fine given the size of the Rover.

Favorite Features

Air suspension ride, confidence it inspires to go anywhere, powerful V8

Suggested Improvements

Power windows are "British" (front to back, controls seem reversed to an American user).

Pretty but Terrible Quality
By cmh

2001 Land Rover Range Rover SUV 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We fell in love with the drive and look of the car, but our love quickly faded when everything started to breakdown and cost a fortune to fix (not to mention that the Land Rover repair shops are so overbooked because these cars are lemons-- most places can't even look at the car for a week they're so booked up). Electrical system is a disaster. 3 times the car just died on me while driving my kids in our "safe" SUV. In the last month alone I have taken my car in 3 times for various major problems-- Electrical failure, alternater failure and hydraulic failure. It looks cool, but don't be fooled!

Favorite Features

The roominess and look of the car. It also handles great in rain and snow.

Suggested Improvements

Electrical system is a mess. There are too many problems all around with the upkeep. This car is meant for people who can afford to have their car constantly in the shop.

4.6 vogue
By ash

2001 Land Rover Range Rover SUV 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

A great vehicle which I have had converted to lpg. I have added a sport exhaust so that it sounds like a proper v8. Never had any problems since purchase in March of 2007. Electric seats don't work and the rear wash has died but the enjoyment I get when I drive this superb piece of machinery far out weighs these trivial problems. Haven't been off road yet, one day soon i hope.

Be Prepared
By Tiffany

2001 Land Rover Range Rover SUV 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I really like the uniqueness of the Range Rover--the style is superb if you like to stand out. But BE PREPARED for the maintenance costs-- they will kill your pocket--average visit to the dealership is about $2000- -and believe me this truck can go frequently of it wants to--the annual checkups range from about $1300-$1100 and are done every 15000 miles and there is always something extra to be done while in the shop. Remember to get spare keys--all keys are made in England and may take from days to months to get here.

Favorite Features

I luv the air suspension system and the body style--those were the sellers

Suggested Improvements

I think all techs should have a refresher course on the Range rover

BestSUVin the World
By H

2001 Land Rover Range Rover SUV 4.6 SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have always admired the Range Rover from afar, and knew one day that I would have to get one. That day finally came and I must say that I love the Range. I read people reviews and with any product your going to have the good with the bad. The Range Rover is "King of the Hill" hands down. This SUV is in a class all by itself, case in point the next time you take that baby out for a ride count and see how many other Ranges you come across. You don't see them all over the place like the so-called- comparison SUV's BMW X5, Mercedes M- class, Cadiallac Escalade. You can pull up to the light and literally count about 3 BMW's and at least 2 Escalades. The Range reign supreme.

Favorite Features

I enjoy sinking into the supple leather high captain seats and the visibility is great. The sound system is awesome and there are many little bells and whistles. Friends always get a kick out of the Air Suspension their first time in the Range...

Suggested Improvements

This truck drinks up gas like it was just in a marathon. One suggestion to anyone thinking of purchasing one, make sure you keep that warranty up because this is a very tempermental vehicle. Even though I love this truck I seemed to know all the service people at all of my closest Land Rover dlrs.