2001 Land Rover Range Rover - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Range Rover model:
Love/Hate Relationship
By wytex on 10/29/13 21:05 PM (PDT)

2001 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I love the look and image of Land Rovers and Jaguars. The 2001 Range Rover that I purchased has had way too many problems, but it still has an appeal that makes me continue sinking money into to keep it rolling. The styling has a classic appearance that makes it's age irrelevant. I like to fly fish and this vehicle is a perfect match to my bamboo fly rod and Filson vest and waders. Once I reach 200K miles in this vehicle I will likely buy a newer Range Rover and go through the whole love/hate routine again.

worst SUV
By leboniz on 10/13/13 17:51 PM (PDT)

2001 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I spent thousands of dollars on repairs air suspension failed converted to coil spring with new shocks $2500 at landrover specialist, water pump failed $600 , heater core leaked inashboard $1800 due to dashbomoval, overheated due to radiator leaks $550 , Alternator & battery $1000 , windows regulator $600 , windows master switch $180, tires $600, brakes pads & rotors $400, Muffler $350, coolant tank $120, at end electric problem in door actuator door can not open & AC heater control stoped, rádio stoped, , transfercase chain stretched out, i gave up and sold at big lost $3000 , it ruined my life and hard earned money :(

Beauty and Beast
By Coolerking on 09/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this to drive in comfort on the highway and never get stranded offroad. It excells at both. I hit a deer head-on at 65mph and was able to drive 80 miles home with all lights working and no steering problems-a very solid vehicle! Had the bladder leak on one of my suspension bags- replaced it with Gen III air bladders from Arnott and Bilstein shocks-now it's awesome squared! It's just a real pleasure to drive it anywhere. I want the most bang for my buck and I've got it with this. So far, except for more horsepower, the later model styles don't appeal to me as much as the P- 38. Turning radius and maneuverability is amazing. The first day I drove it I parallel parked it in ONE move!

Luxury, I think NOT!
By Michael on 01/01/10 21:41 PM (PST)

2001 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

So after owning two Acuras, I stepped down apparently into a Range Rover. Problems: Handle broke off when opening hood, plastic. Door handles breaking off, car's suspension deflates in the cold, takes 15 minutes to get it up. A/C didn't work well in summer, screen went out. DVD player doesn't work now, CD player doesn't work, back lights went out and bulbs don't fix it. Back lid won't stay up, pieces break off of this car constantly. Hood thinks it's open when it's not, key fab broke, and door locks don't work right. Sometimes car won't start and give reason why. I've spent about 3,000 on this car in less than 8 months (about 1/3 what I paid for the car in first place. FUN TIMES!

Great vehicle
By Maryland on 12/25/08 07:23 AM (PST)

2001 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We bought this Rover certified used with 20K miles on it in 2003. We have used it ever since, and have put 51K more miles on it. We had issues with the air suspension (replaced under warranty) and the radio (an amp blew) but otherwise the Rover has been rock solid. We get a solid 17mph, which I consider fine given the size of the Rover.

Pretty but Terrible Quality
By cmh on 04/25/08 12:04 PM (PDT)

2001 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We fell in love with the drive and look of the car, but our love quickly faded when everything started to breakdown and cost a fortune to fix (not to mention that the Land Rover repair shops are so overbooked because these cars are lemons-- most places can't even look at the car for a week they're so booked up). Electrical system is a disaster. 3 times the car just died on me while driving my kids in our "safe" SUV. In the last month alone I have taken my car in 3 times for various major problems-- Electrical failure, alternater failure and hydraulic failure. It looks cool, but don't be fooled!

4.6 vogue
By ash on 11/16/07 06:43 AM (PST)

2001 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

A great vehicle which I have had converted to lpg. I have added a sport exhaust so that it sounds like a proper v8. Never had any problems since purchase in March of 2007. Electric seats don't work and the rear wash has died but the enjoyment I get when I drive this superb piece of machinery far out weighs these trivial problems. Haven't been off road yet, one day soon i hope.

Be Prepared
By Tiffany on 01/21/07 15:18 PM (PST)

2001 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I really like the uniqueness of the Range Rover--the style is superb if you like to stand out. But BE PREPARED for the maintenance costs-- they will kill your pocket--average visit to the dealership is about $2000- -and believe me this truck can go frequently of it wants to--the annual checkups range from about $1300-$1100 and are done every 15000 miles and there is always something extra to be done while in the shop. Remember to get spare keys--all keys are made in England and may take from days to months to get here.

Worse vehicle ever
By tripper on 01/14/06 22:05 PM (PST)

2001 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This has been a terrible vehicle. Since owning i have replaced the transmission at 45k, replaced air shock system, and now a new head gasket with only 72,000 miles on it and it has never been off road or out of the garage in the weather. Land Rover and Bear Valley Rover have not stood behind their product. It is a poorly made vehicle. I have owned BMW, Chrysler, Pontiac, Fiat, Oldsmobile, Buick and they were all better than this product. Even the car tag screw holes were drilled off-level so the car tag sits crooked.

Keep looking
By RoverOwner on 02/28/05 15:51 PM (PST)

2001 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Fun to look at, but expensive to own in all respects. If buying used, make sure you have an extended warranty. Car is frought with electrical problems and leaks fluids like a 72 Chevy.