Used 2001 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Range Rover model:

Love/Hate Relationship
By wytex

2001 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I love the look and image of Land Rovers and Jaguars. The 2001 Range Rover that I purchased has had way too many problems, but it still has an appeal that makes me continue sinking money into to keep it rolling. The styling has a classic appearance that makes it's age irrelevant. I like to fly fish and this vehicle is a perfect match to my bamboo fly rod and Filson vest and waders. Once I reach 200K miles in this vehicle I will likely buy a newer Range Rover and go through the whole love/hate routine again.

The whole concept of the car is very appealing with class on the road and serious capability off. The interior is nice, but has been eclipsed by the newer models by a significant margin. I appreciate the quality of materials across the board and the amazing visibility. The vehicle will never look dated.

Too many to mention. Reliability is just pathetic. Can't imagine how something that looks this good and is this rugged can be a vehicle constantly on the verge of a breakdown. This vehicle is best used in and around your home base as an extended trip can and will be a disaster if you own it long enough. Also, find a good mechanic and send him a Harry and David gift each month.

worst SUV
By leboniz

2001 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I spent thousands of dollars on repairs air suspension failed converted to coil spring with new shocks $2500 at landrover specialist, water pump failed $600 , heater core leaked inashboard $1800 due to dashbomoval, overheated due to radiator leaks $550 , Alternator & battery $1000 , windows regulator $600 , windows master switch $180, tires $600, brakes pads & rotors $400, Muffler $350, coolant tank $120, at end electric problem in door actuator door can not open & AC heater control stoped, rĂ¡dio stoped, , transfercase chain stretched out, i gave up and sold at big lost $3000 , it ruined my life and hard earned money :(

Beauty and Beast
By Coolerking

2001 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this to drive in comfort on the highway and never get stranded offroad. It excells at both. I hit a deer head-on at 65mph and was able to drive 80 miles home with all lights working and no steering problems-a very solid vehicle! Had the bladder leak on one of my suspension bags- replaced it with Gen III air bladders from Arnott and Bilstein shocks-now it's awesome squared! It's just a real pleasure to drive it anywhere. I want the most bang for my buck and I've got it with this. So far, except for more horsepower, the later model styles don't appeal to me as much as the P- 38. Turning radius and maneuverability is amazing. The first day I drove it I parallel parked it in ONE move!

air suspension body style plush interior it's a RANGE ROVER

better availability of parts- bumperguard is no longer available computer has OCD get familiar with a good Range Rover forum

Luxury, I think NOT!
By Michael

2001 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

So after owning two Acuras, I stepped down apparently into a Range Rover. Problems: Handle broke off when opening hood, plastic. Door handles breaking off, car's suspension deflates in the cold, takes 15 minutes to get it up. A/C didn't work well in summer, screen went out. DVD player doesn't work now, CD player doesn't work, back lights went out and bulbs don't fix it. Back lid won't stay up, pieces break off of this car constantly. Hood thinks it's open when it's not, key fab broke, and door locks don't work right. Sometimes car won't start and give reason why. I've spent about 3,000 on this car in less than 8 months (about 1/3 what I paid for the car in first place. FUN TIMES!

12 m/p/g on Supreme, yippee

Have designers hired from Toyota and Honda start building this piece of crap luxury vehicle. Recall all the things that SO MANY people complain about, rather than take us for $140/hr at the dealership on repairs required to be done by YOUR mechanics with their special computer!

Great vehicle
By Maryland

2001 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We bought this Rover certified used with 20K miles on it in 2003. We have used it ever since, and have put 51K more miles on it. We had issues with the air suspension (replaced under warranty) and the radio (an amp blew) but otherwise the Rover has been rock solid. We get a solid 17mph, which I consider fine given the size of the Rover.

Air suspension ride, confidence it inspires to go anywhere, powerful V8

Power windows are "British" (front to back, controls seem reversed to an American user).