1999 Land Rover Range Rover - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Range Rover model:
A Classic
By nadersoli on 02/02/10 07:22 AM (PST)

1999 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my Range at a dealer auction back in Aug of 09. It was in exceptional condition when I bought it. Problems: I had dry rot in the air suspension sacs on acct of the prev owner not driving it. About 1500 to swap out for coils beat out the 7k the dealer wanted to replace the susp system. Needed new tires which ran me about 700 and I'm due soon for new brakes and rotors all around for about another 700. I love the car, but I guess I'm getting bored of it quickly. It's a classic and I love it, but not roomy at all and it sucks down gas like it's goin out of style. My service light is on, which is not as bad as the check engine. Def doing better than some other folks who reviewed here.

Awesome off-road... Terrible reliability
By hogfan2007 on 06/10/08 07:01 AM (PDT)

1999 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this car 2 and a half years ago and 3 days later the engine overheated and blew. I checked the oil and water the day I bought it and the day after and there apparently was no leaks. Driving down the highway the coolant apparently dropped out of the car immediately and I had no warning until the damage was done. All in all I have spent close to 10,000 bucks on repairs and it is not running at the moment. Biggest waste of money of my life. On the other hand if you can afford the upkeep they are a lot of fun off road. My mom and stepdad both drive hummer h2s (yeah sue us hippies) and my range rover will go anywhere they can, and actually can climb better. More luxurious too!

An Unmitigated Disaster
By Warchild NYC on 02/06/08 13:57 PM (PST)

1999 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

After purchasing this car in September 2006 for $13.2K with 76K miles on it, I have paid over $8K in repairs for just 12,000 miles driven. The transmission went out and required a complete rebuild ($4K), the air suspension and associated compressor failed ($3K), and various other things electronic in nature failed ($1K+) such as the door locks, a bunch of interior lights and the display panel for the heater. The remote function on the key does not work at all, so the key must be used old fashion style to lock and unlock the vehicle. Just an awful experience compared to my 1994 BMW 540i that has 142K miles on it and has given me no problems except normal wear and maintenance.

Pleasure to Drive
By johnyesnot on 09/09/07 01:48 AM (PDT)

1999 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

I brought this truck in Atlanta, Ga., drove to NYC. Felt like I was driving around the corner. Later a couple codes, misfiring, cost $600 to fix it . After that no problems, strong engine, comfortable, nice features. It is a pleasure to drive, own, etc. For sure high class. Highly recomended.

Fantastic ride, glad its gone
By itsabowtime2 on 09/03/07 06:54 AM (PDT)

1999 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

This SUV, by far, had the best ride out of all the SUV's I have owned. Great feel from the steering wheel, and very smooth over the road. The large windows is what sold me on the truck in the beginning, compared to the Explorer,Grand Cherokee and Pathfinder I had in the past. Good power from the 4.6L. Strong brakes. The bad: What a repair nightmare. The air suspension would fail every other month. On 1 trip for service they found over 40!! trouble codes. Front axle went at 12000 miles. 2 head gaskets relaced. Both front bearing/hub/ABS assemblies. major oil leak and the list goes on. This one SUV had more issues than all my other combined. Even with the issues, I'd get another.

Great Car, but Expensive to Maintain
By Chris Hornak on 08/14/07 17:24 PM (PDT)

1999 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

First of all I've always loved this vehicle. Since seeing it at an auto show I wanted to get one. I've had it for almost five years now. I love the unique look. I love comfort. The biggest issue is the cost whenever you have to do any maintenance. If you get out of the shop without spending at least 2K then you're lucky. That will be the reason I don't get another.

Great Style, Truly Horrible Reliability
By Warchild on 05/08/07 14:38 PM (PDT)

1999 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

I have had endless problems including a failed airbag, a check engine light that won't go off (even after service at a dealership), dead battery, many lights burning out, a complete lockdown by the security function causing the starter to disengage and requiring a tow to the dealership to reset the computer, and a complete failure of the transmission at only 81,000 miles that cost $2,700 rebuild. Total repair costs $4,300 after just 5K miles/6 months of ownership. Remaining problems: door locks and alarm don't work, as well as the latch for the door to the gas tank, the disc changer for stereo recently died, and button to open back cargo door stopped working last week.

Nerer Again
By Joe on 08/25/06 14:17 PM (PDT)

1999 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

We have especially enjoyed the off road capabilities of this large suv. After purchase we attended a Rover sponsored event to learn off-roading. We were beginners and joined about 8 other Rovers, mostly Discoveries but two Defenders. I laughed as we roamed in air conditioned comfort and out- performed any thing in our group. I believe when these Rovers are right, they are at the top for luxury and taking you anywhere a 4-wheeler will go.

Most beautiful SUV.
By Aztrorover on 04/29/06 19:54 PM (PDT)

1999 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

I have owned it for 6 months now and I have loved every minute of it. Mine was pampered by its previous owner, and continues to be by me. I dreamed of owning this vehicle since I was 9. It's just perfect, nothing says snob like a range rover. Zero problems so far, just replaced the tires and it was cheap sumitomo (tirerack $98 each) makes the best tires for this vehicle, those people replacing them with Michelins are fools then complain about. Get a Japanese truck with no heritage then. This vehicle is the KING of all SUV's and everything else is a wannabe Rover. No one have ever rode in my vehicle and not been impressed. On the road, snow, sand or over rocks, Rover always wins.- UNSTOPPABLE

Like wearing a tux
By Freeloder on 02/12/05 03:21 AM (PST)

1999 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

The air suspension is very cool. Power is good for a 6500lbs truck. Gas mileage is around 14.7 average. Off road ability is unmatched. Whether you are going to the opera or pulling a Hummer out off the mud you can have confidence in its versatility and ability.