1998 Land Rover Range Rover - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Range Rover model:
Exceeded Expectations
By am on 11/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Range Rover 4.0 SE 4dr SUV AWD

This has been a terrific SUV for three years. It is a '98 and still gets compliments. The only downside is it doesn't have great acceleration, but then again that's not why you buy a Rover. I've only had to do standard maintanence. Much less troublesome that I was planning on. Would make the same buy decision again.

Been Lucky.
By yolojims on 06/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Land Rover Range Rover 4.0 SE 4dr SUV AWD

I bought new a '98 4.0. Very comfortable and easy to drive. Pulling power is astonishing for only 190HP. I have had a brake job ($1200) @ 40,000 miles - 2 new stereos, a fan bearing fail causing the fan to explode and create a large dent in the bonnet. Out of warranty now (78,000 mi.) and CD changer acting up, noisy air suspension motor. Other than these item, I have been happy with my Rover. I am dissapointed with the accelerated depreciaton. Looking to trade for maybe a '01 740iL.

Chrome
By Bling on 12/16/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

We purchased this vehicle 1998 model HSE with 72k. It was a choice of the ML320 or HSE, The HSE is a far better equiped and road competent vehicle. I love the road manners and the off road ability. The Seating is exceptional. The stereo had some problems, the tire are not readily available at you local tire distributor or BJ's. Overall the vehicle is fine. We have a 1992 range that I am rebuilding the transmission with 140k. Range Rover for ever and ever.. sounds like a rap!!

Traded my '98 4.6 after one year
By WoodyWW on 11/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

I owned a '98 RR 4.6 (that I bought used w/36K miles on it) for one year. Gas mileage was awful--about 12 mpg. And about 6 months after I bought the RR, things started to go wrong. Nothing major, just the A/C control, two stereos, the sunroof, etc. There was a 2 month time period wherin the truck was taken for one repair or another at least once a week! I was without a stereo for most of that 2 months. And the 36,000 mile service cost me $1000. I traded the RR in 6 months before the warranty expired--by then I was just too apprehensive about owning a Land Rover w/o a warranty. Oh, & did I mention the high depreciation of Land Rovers?

gotta love it
By Ross Cooper on 10/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

i love my 4.6 hse .....however i would highly suggest you buy a used one with a heritage extended bumper to bumper warranty. Landrover are expensive to work on like any hightech automobile

Awesome SUV
By HappyLady on 10/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

I upgraded from a '92 Range Rover to this '98. What a difference I LOVE this car. It is luxurious, yet safe feeling without being too big. I plan to keep it for a long time. (As I do most of my cars).

Diamond in the Rough
By Martmeister on 06/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

I've spent about 10 years in Europe during which time I drove predominantly 5 series BMW and Mercedes, Audi V8 quattro and the occasional Volkswagen Corrado. My driving consisted of autobahn and mountain switchback driving. Even in this context, my Rover 4.6 HSE stands toe to toe with any vehicle I've driven to date. It corners like a performance sedan, excelerates effortlessly (even from 60 - 90+) without the engine roar typical of most cars, stops on a dime, is luxuriously comfortable, quiet and well laid out. It would be nice to have better gas mileage but, one shouldn't expect to feed a lion on hamburger helper.

Love my Range Rover
By brammerf on 04/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

Simply the best SUV in the world.