1998 Land Rover Range Rover SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Range Rover model:
Best 4X4 ever!
By Ramsey on 03/13/08 17:52 PM (PDT)

1998 Land Rover Range Rover SUV 4.0 SE 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my Range Rover with 190,000 miles on it. I am a mechanic and am in awe of the craftsmanship in this vehicle. Equiped to hand exstreme conditions will you are in comfort. Plus you drive out of the wood onto the road and never miss out on an exceptional ride. I drive it in 30" rivers and up 45 degree inclines with ease, drive on 4wheeler trails and watch the looks on others face with amazement. A lot of fun in the woods.

love hate relationship
By bringyourcheckbook on 03/17/07 06:23 AM (PDT)

1998 Land Rover Range Rover SUV 4.0 SE 4dr SUV AWD

I have had my RR for 8 years. I really love the styling and look of the car. When running it's a fantastic car to drive and very comfortable. Problems have been numerous and a typical trip to the dealer is $1000+. Have replaced my air suspension system, car ran hot on me so I replaced the radiator, had to have my head gasket replaced ($9k) from running hot, heater core replaced twice. I typically keep a close eye on it and oil change regularly. It's a joy to drive if you have the $$'s to dish out or find a good cheaper mechanic.

Must Have Cash Reserves
By rolkdenskr on 03/29/06 09:30 AM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Range Rover SUV 4.0 SE 4dr SUV AWD

Admittedly one of the most refined and capable luxury SUVs made...when it's not in the shop. Most common trouble spot is the air suspension system, which will leave you stranded when it fails. The complex electrical system is British...not high in the reliability category. Don't expect much warmth from the heated seats, if they're even working. They're prone to early failure. Make sure that you do not own this vehicle without a warranty as the average trip to the shop is in excess of $1,000, not including a rental car and flatbed.

98 range
By dreddenpr on 07/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Land Rover Range Rover SUV 4.0 SE 4dr SUV AWD

Build good , runs good , looks good....

long time owner
By sryan on 02/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Range Rover SUV 4.0 SE 4dr SUV AWD

I am a long time RR owner and have never experienced any problems. Dealerships charge thru the nose for service.. Local mechanics can do the same thing for much cheaper..

Exceeded Expectations
By am on 11/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Range Rover SUV 4.0 SE 4dr SUV AWD

This has been a terrific SUV for three years. It is a '98 and still gets compliments. The only downside is it doesn't have great acceleration, but then again that's not why you buy a Rover. I've only had to do standard maintanence. Much less troublesome that I was planning on. Would make the same buy decision again.

Been Lucky.
By yolojims on 06/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Land Rover Range Rover SUV 4.0 SE 4dr SUV AWD

I bought new a '98 4.0. Very comfortable and easy to drive. Pulling power is astonishing for only 190HP. I have had a brake job ($1200) @ 40,000 miles - 2 new stereos, a fan bearing fail causing the fan to explode and create a large dent in the bonnet. Out of warranty now (78,000 mi.) and CD changer acting up, noisy air suspension motor. Other than these item, I have been happy with my Rover. I am dissapointed with the accelerated depreciaton. Looking to trade for maybe a '01 740iL.