Used 1998 Land Rover Range Rover 4.0 SE SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Range Rover model:

Best 4X4 ever!
By Ramsey

1998 Land Rover Range Rover SUV 4.0 SE 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my Range Rover with 190,000 miles on it. I am a mechanic and am in awe of the craftsmanship in this vehicle. Equiped to hand exstreme conditions will you are in comfort. Plus you drive out of the wood onto the road and never miss out on an exceptional ride. I drive it in 30" rivers and up 45 degree inclines with ease, drive on 4wheeler trails and watch the looks on others face with amazement. A lot of fun in the woods.

It has all kinds of driver comforts. Front windshield defrost, factory 6 disc changer, complete information system tells you everthing(headlight out, fuse blown, sunroof open) and more.

Cup holders and easier computer diagnostics for shops.

love hate relationship
By bringyourcheckbook

1998 Land Rover Range Rover SUV 4.0 SE 4dr SUV AWD

I have had my RR for 8 years. I really love the styling and look of the car. When running it's a fantastic car to drive and very comfortable. Problems have been numerous and a typical trip to the dealer is $1000+. Have replaced my air suspension system, car ran hot on me so I replaced the radiator, had to have my head gasket replaced ($9k) from running hot, heater core replaced twice. I typically keep a close eye on it and oil change regularly. It's a joy to drive if you have the $$'s to dish out or find a good cheaper mechanic.

Smooth drive, nice amenities. Love the look of the automobile. The air shocks for getting in and out of the car. The roominess of the car. It rides like a luxury SUV, which you would hope for the price.

Cup holder is too small for most drinks. Lack of acceleration. Once it gets going it rides well, but does drags a little on acceleration. Gas mileage is not the greatest (12 - 15mpg).

Must Have Cash Reserves
By rolkdenskr

1998 Land Rover Range Rover SUV 4.0 SE 4dr SUV AWD

Admittedly one of the most refined and capable luxury SUVs made...when it's not in the shop. Most common trouble spot is the air suspension system, which will leave you stranded when it fails. The complex electrical system is British...not high in the reliability category. Don't expect much warmth from the heated seats, if they're even working. They're prone to early failure. Make sure that you do not own this vehicle without a warranty as the average trip to the shop is in excess of $1,000, not including a rental car and flatbed.

Very capable in the snow and ice. This vehicle will go through absolutely anything! I've personally forded 18" of water with no problem, although I'm sure it will do more.

The 2000 model year and later have improved upon most of the trouble spots and are much more reliable.

98 range
By dreddenpr

1998 Land Rover Range Rover SUV 4.0 SE 4dr SUV AWD

Build good , runs good , looks good....

long time owner
By sryan

1998 Land Rover Range Rover SUV 4.0 SE 4dr SUV AWD

I am a long time RR owner and have never experienced any problems. Dealerships charge thru the nose for service.. Local mechanics can do the same thing for much cheaper..

All attitude.. This car is mean on and off road with a slice of pedigree.

cupholders aren't designed for the american diet.