Used 1998 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Range Rover model:

What a change
By littlered3

1998 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

We sold our Toyota land cruiser, and brought a second hand Rover from the UK, we have had her for two months and she has already left us on the side of the road for 7 hours, and here in Africa thats no joke! 4X4 is great, on sand and rocks, comfort and power hard to match, yet i feel her reliability is very poor, i do loads of off roading even when on roads and for a change i dont have a sore back but im left tense any way at the thought of even making it to our destination.....any sugestion on up spares or things we can twig to help her cope here in summer eg: her cooling system! as it was our water pump bearing that collapsed and nearly sent our fan crashing into out radiator, in Africa!!

Favorite Features

Great 4x4, great sppen and power.

Suggested Improvements

Heating systems, and more dealerships in Southern Africa.

Never buy any other SUV
By Dante LaTerra

1998 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

My 1998 Range Rover is the perfect car for me. When you think performance you cannot think about handling because it can be alittle sluggish. However that sluggish ride is made up for by the vehicles incredible comfort. When you think performance for this vehicle you absoultely must think of limitless terrain that you can navigate through in this SUV. This vehicle is comfortable, it has an incredible sound system, it filters the air outside before it comes inside, it goed up and down by the push of a button, and is built like a tank. You cannot beat the quality of this car, and most importantly you cannot get more luxury for the money! It is an excellent value!

Favorite Features

I love the air suspension and large leather seats. Incredible leg room, and great visability for parking and high way driving. Most importantly, this vehicle is incredible off road! I can go anywhere in this vehicle, and still turn heads when I drive into town! I love it!

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement I think you could make is to buy some new tires. The stock tires are miserable, I think that Nitto makes a great all around tire for this vehicle.

Hated it
By Mitzim

1998 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

owned for six years. It's been towed probably a dozen times with various different failures. Stranded me late at night or along the freeway at the most inoportune times. Very unreliable. Cupholders poorly placed..will not hold onto a beverage can around sharp turns. The seatbelts in the back are poor (one even broke). Difficult with child car seats. On a positive side, the leather has stayed very nice and it seems almost resistant to door dings (only one in 6 years)

Favorite Features

- Leather upholstery - Hydraulics to raise and lower the car - Very comfortable

Chrome
By Bling

1998 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

We purchased this vehicle 1998 model HSE with 72k. It was a choice of the ML320 or HSE, The HSE is a far better equiped and road competent vehicle. I love the road manners and the off road ability. The Seating is exceptional. The stereo had some problems, the tire are not readily available at you local tire distributor or BJ's. Overall the vehicle is fine. We have a 1992 range that I am rebuilding the transmission with 140k. Range Rover for ever and ever.. sounds like a rap!!

Favorite Features

Chrome Wheels, Piping and and asthetic design to the overall vehicle exterior and interior.

Suggested Improvements

More power and reliabilty.

Traded my '98 4.6 after one year
By WoodyWW

1998 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

I owned a '98 RR 4.6 (that I bought used w/36K miles on it) for one year. Gas mileage was awful--about 12 mpg. And about 6 months after I bought the RR, things started to go wrong. Nothing major, just the A/C control, two stereos, the sunroof, etc. There was a 2 month time period wherin the truck was taken for one repair or another at least once a week! I was without a stereo for most of that 2 months. And the 36,000 mile service cost me $1000. I traded the RR in 6 months before the warranty expired--by then I was just too apprehensive about owning a Land Rover w/o a warranty. Oh, & did I mention the high depreciation of Land Rovers?

Favorite Features

Great looks; nice if quirky interior. Built like a British tank (except for moving or electrical parts).

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage. Handling (is ok, but not great). And most of all, reliability!