1998 Land Rover Range Rover - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Range Rover model:
What a change
By littlered3 on 09/09/11 06:53 AM (PDT)

1998 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

We sold our Toyota land cruiser, and brought a second hand Rover from the UK, we have had her for two months and she has already left us on the side of the road for 7 hours, and here in Africa thats no joke! 4X4 is great, on sand and rocks, comfort and power hard to match, yet i feel her reliability is very poor, i do loads of off roading even when on roads and for a change i dont have a sore back but im left tense any way at the thought of even making it to our destination.....any sugestion on up spares or things we can twig to help her cope here in summer eg: her cooling system! as it was our water pump bearing that collapsed and nearly sent our fan crashing into out radiator, in Africa!!

Never buy any other SUV
By Dante LaTerra on 05/06/07 14:10 PM (PDT)

1998 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

My 1998 Range Rover is the perfect car for me. When you think performance you cannot think about handling because it can be alittle sluggish. However that sluggish ride is made up for by the vehicles incredible comfort. When you think performance for this vehicle you absoultely must think of limitless terrain that you can navigate through in this SUV. This vehicle is comfortable, it has an incredible sound system, it filters the air outside before it comes inside, it goed up and down by the push of a button, and is built like a tank. You cannot beat the quality of this car, and most importantly you cannot get more luxury for the money! It is an excellent value!

Hated it
By Mitzim on 04/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

owned for six years. It's been towed probably a dozen times with various different failures. Stranded me late at night or along the freeway at the most inoportune times. Very unreliable. Cupholders poorly placed..will not hold onto a beverage can around sharp turns. The seatbelts in the back are poor (one even broke). Difficult with child car seats. On a positive side, the leather has stayed very nice and it seems almost resistant to door dings (only one in 6 years)

Chrome
By Bling on 12/16/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

We purchased this vehicle 1998 model HSE with 72k. It was a choice of the ML320 or HSE, The HSE is a far better equiped and road competent vehicle. I love the road manners and the off road ability. The Seating is exceptional. The stereo had some problems, the tire are not readily available at you local tire distributor or BJ's. Overall the vehicle is fine. We have a 1992 range that I am rebuilding the transmission with 140k. Range Rover for ever and ever.. sounds like a rap!!

Traded my '98 4.6 after one year
By WoodyWW on 11/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

I owned a '98 RR 4.6 (that I bought used w/36K miles on it) for one year. Gas mileage was awful--about 12 mpg. And about 6 months after I bought the RR, things started to go wrong. Nothing major, just the A/C control, two stereos, the sunroof, etc. There was a 2 month time period wherin the truck was taken for one repair or another at least once a week! I was without a stereo for most of that 2 months. And the 36,000 mile service cost me $1000. I traded the RR in 6 months before the warranty expired--by then I was just too apprehensive about owning a Land Rover w/o a warranty. Oh, & did I mention the high depreciation of Land Rovers?

gotta love it
By Ross Cooper on 10/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

i love my 4.6 hse .....however i would highly suggest you buy a used one with a heritage extended bumper to bumper warranty. Landrover are expensive to work on like any hightech automobile

Awesome SUV
By HappyLady on 10/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

I upgraded from a '92 Range Rover to this '98. What a difference I LOVE this car. It is luxurious, yet safe feeling without being too big. I plan to keep it for a long time. (As I do most of my cars).

Diamond in the Rough
By Martmeister on 06/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

I've spent about 10 years in Europe during which time I drove predominantly 5 series BMW and Mercedes, Audi V8 quattro and the occasional Volkswagen Corrado. My driving consisted of autobahn and mountain switchback driving. Even in this context, my Rover 4.6 HSE stands toe to toe with any vehicle I've driven to date. It corners like a performance sedan, excelerates effortlessly (even from 60 - 90+) without the engine roar typical of most cars, stops on a dime, is luxuriously comfortable, quiet and well laid out. It would be nice to have better gas mileage but, one shouldn't expect to feed a lion on hamburger helper.

Love my Range Rover
By brammerf on 04/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

Simply the best SUV in the world.