1998 Land Rover Range Rover - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Range Rover model:
What a change
By littlered3 on 09/09/11 06:53 AM (PDT)

1998 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

We sold our Toyota land cruiser, and brought a second hand Rover from the UK, we have had her for two months and she has already left us on the side of the road for 7 hours, and here in Africa thats no joke! 4X4 is great, on sand and rocks, comfort and power hard to match, yet i feel her reliability is very poor, i do loads of off roading even when on roads and for a change i dont have a sore back but im left tense any way at the thought of even making it to our destination.....any sugestion on up spares or things we can twig to help her cope here in summer eg: her cooling system! as it was our water pump bearing that collapsed and nearly sent our fan crashing into out radiator, in Africa!!

Rolling Lemon
By Brian on 02/07/09 14:10 PM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Range Rover 50th Anniversary 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this car two years old with 32,000 miles costing $ 34,000 down from $ 65,000 new. Thought I had a bargain. Gas cost a lot less back then and repair costs have ballooned. Radio broke, Air Suspension failed twice, head gasket leaking for years etc. Comfortable, spacious car but worst for repair and cost I've ever owned.

Best 4X4 ever!
By Ramsey on 03/13/08 17:52 PM (PDT)

1998 Land Rover Range Rover 4.0 SE 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my Range Rover with 190,000 miles on it. I am a mechanic and am in awe of the craftsmanship in this vehicle. Equiped to hand exstreme conditions will you are in comfort. Plus you drive out of the wood onto the road and never miss out on an exceptional ride. I drive it in 30" rivers and up 45 degree inclines with ease, drive on 4wheeler trails and watch the looks on others face with amazement. A lot of fun in the woods.

Never buy any other SUV
By Dante LaTerra on 05/06/07 14:10 PM (PDT)

1998 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

My 1998 Range Rover is the perfect car for me. When you think performance you cannot think about handling because it can be alittle sluggish. However that sluggish ride is made up for by the vehicles incredible comfort. When you think performance for this vehicle you absoultely must think of limitless terrain that you can navigate through in this SUV. This vehicle is comfortable, it has an incredible sound system, it filters the air outside before it comes inside, it goed up and down by the push of a button, and is built like a tank. You cannot beat the quality of this car, and most importantly you cannot get more luxury for the money! It is an excellent value!

love hate relationship
By bringyourcheckbook on 03/17/07 06:23 AM (PDT)

1998 Land Rover Range Rover 4.0 SE 4dr SUV AWD

I have had my RR for 8 years. I really love the styling and look of the car. When running it's a fantastic car to drive and very comfortable. Problems have been numerous and a typical trip to the dealer is $1000+. Have replaced my air suspension system, car ran hot on me so I replaced the radiator, had to have my head gasket replaced ($9k) from running hot, heater core replaced twice. I typically keep a close eye on it and oil change regularly. It's a joy to drive if you have the $$'s to dish out or find a good cheaper mechanic.

Must Have Cash Reserves
By rolkdenskr on 03/29/06 09:30 AM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Range Rover 4.0 SE 4dr SUV AWD

Admittedly one of the most refined and capable luxury SUVs made...when it's not in the shop. Most common trouble spot is the air suspension system, which will leave you stranded when it fails. The complex electrical system is British...not high in the reliability category. Don't expect much warmth from the heated seats, if they're even working. They're prone to early failure. Make sure that you do not own this vehicle without a warranty as the average trip to the shop is in excess of $1,000, not including a rental car and flatbed.

So far it's been a joy!
By SRB on 02/18/05 17:32 PM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Range Rover 50th Anniversary 4dr SUV AWD

Having owned my 50th anniversary Range Rover for 5 months and about 5,000 miles, I can't say how pleased I am so far. It's a joy to drive, rides like you're riding on air, and has given me absolutely no problems. I expected the worst after reading about all the problems Land Rovers have but can say that this vehicle is the most capable, fun car I've owned and I've owned everything from a 300ZX to an Infiniti. You feel like a king driving the Range Rover and the visibility is second to none. The only thing I don't like is the fuel economy, but is to be expected for such a heavy duty truck.

98 range
By dreddenpr on 07/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Land Rover Range Rover 4.0 SE 4dr SUV AWD

Build good , runs good , looks good....

Hated it
By Mitzim on 04/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

owned for six years. It's been towed probably a dozen times with various different failures. Stranded me late at night or along the freeway at the most inoportune times. Very unreliable. Cupholders poorly placed..will not hold onto a beverage can around sharp turns. The seatbelts in the back are poor (one even broke). Difficult with child car seats. On a positive side, the leather has stayed very nice and it seems almost resistant to door dings (only one in 6 years)

long time owner
By sryan on 02/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Land Rover Range Rover 4.0 SE 4dr SUV AWD

I am a long time RR owner and have never experienced any problems. Dealerships charge thru the nose for service.. Local mechanics can do the same thing for much cheaper..