Used 1998 Land Rover Range Rover Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Range Rover model:

What a change
By littlered3

1998 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

We sold our Toyota land cruiser, and brought a second hand Rover from the UK, we have had her for two months and she has already left us on the side of the road for 7 hours, and here in Africa thats no joke! 4X4 is great, on sand and rocks, comfort and power hard to match, yet i feel her reliability is very poor, i do loads of off roading even when on roads and for a change i dont have a sore back but im left tense any way at the thought of even making it to our destination.....any sugestion on up spares or things we can twig to help her cope here in summer eg: her cooling system! as it was our water pump bearing that collapsed and nearly sent our fan crashing into out radiator, in Africa!!

Favorite Features

Great 4x4, great sppen and power.

Suggested Improvements

Heating systems, and more dealerships in Southern Africa.

Rolling Lemon
By Brian

1998 Land Rover Range Rover 50th Anniversary 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this car two years old with 32,000 miles costing $ 34,000 down from $ 65,000 new. Thought I had a bargain. Gas cost a lot less back then and repair costs have ballooned. Radio broke, Air Suspension failed twice, head gasket leaking for years etc. Comfortable, spacious car but worst for repair and cost I've ever owned.

Favorite Features

Comfort, space, looks

Suggested Improvements

Everything else

Best 4X4 ever!
By Ramsey

1998 Land Rover Range Rover 4.0 SE 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my Range Rover with 190,000 miles on it. I am a mechanic and am in awe of the craftsmanship in this vehicle. Equiped to hand exstreme conditions will you are in comfort. Plus you drive out of the wood onto the road and never miss out on an exceptional ride. I drive it in 30" rivers and up 45 degree inclines with ease, drive on 4wheeler trails and watch the looks on others face with amazement. A lot of fun in the woods.

Favorite Features

It has all kinds of driver comforts. Front windshield defrost, factory 6 disc changer, complete information system tells you everthing(headlight out, fuse blown, sunroof open) and more.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders and easier computer diagnostics for shops.

Never buy any other SUV
By Dante LaTerra

1998 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

My 1998 Range Rover is the perfect car for me. When you think performance you cannot think about handling because it can be alittle sluggish. However that sluggish ride is made up for by the vehicles incredible comfort. When you think performance for this vehicle you absoultely must think of limitless terrain that you can navigate through in this SUV. This vehicle is comfortable, it has an incredible sound system, it filters the air outside before it comes inside, it goed up and down by the push of a button, and is built like a tank. You cannot beat the quality of this car, and most importantly you cannot get more luxury for the money! It is an excellent value!

Favorite Features

I love the air suspension and large leather seats. Incredible leg room, and great visability for parking and high way driving. Most importantly, this vehicle is incredible off road! I can go anywhere in this vehicle, and still turn heads when I drive into town! I love it!

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement I think you could make is to buy some new tires. The stock tires are miserable, I think that Nitto makes a great all around tire for this vehicle.

love hate relationship
By bringyourcheckbook

1998 Land Rover Range Rover 4.0 SE 4dr SUV AWD

I have had my RR for 8 years. I really love the styling and look of the car. When running it's a fantastic car to drive and very comfortable. Problems have been numerous and a typical trip to the dealer is $1000+. Have replaced my air suspension system, car ran hot on me so I replaced the radiator, had to have my head gasket replaced ($9k) from running hot, heater core replaced twice. I typically keep a close eye on it and oil change regularly. It's a joy to drive if you have the $$'s to dish out or find a good cheaper mechanic.

Favorite Features

Smooth drive, nice amenities. Love the look of the automobile. The air shocks for getting in and out of the car. The roominess of the car. It rides like a luxury SUV, which you would hope for the price.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder is too small for most drinks. Lack of acceleration. Once it gets going it rides well, but does drags a little on acceleration. Gas mileage is not the greatest (12 - 15mpg).