1997 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6L V8 AWD 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Solid and basically reliable

1997 Land Rover Range Rover - Consumer Review

4.6 HSE 4dr SUV (4.6L V8 AWD 4-speed Automatic)

Solid and basically reliable
By Farkle on

1997 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

I have owned many British cars -- including a Rolls and a couple Jags -- and I was used to unworldly service bills but with 112,000 miles on the odometer, this truck has been reliable. I have the 225hp 4.6 liter model. Truck has never let me down. I off road it a few times a year, pull a trailer (2000 lbs), fill up a roof rack and have screaming pre-teens in the back. Very few creaks and rattles! Short girlfriend really likes the air suspension, which can "kneel" to allow convenient access. I have not found service costs to be unreasonably high or extraordinarily frequent.

Favorite Features

"Go anywhere" personality Luxury appointments Durable! This truck has fallen into crevices off-road and just keeps going Great dealer support (Minneapolis, MN area) Good for towing (but get electric brakes if >2000 lbs)

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage sucks (but typical SUV) No heated seats in the back (OK ... that's the 12-year-old speaking)