1997 Land Rover Range Rover - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Range Rover model:
great car when it works
By niccoram on 01/12/10 02:55 AM (PST)

1997 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

This is my daily driver to and from home and school through city streets and the occasional bad traffic. Out of town trips are pleasant for as long as you check the hoses and water level so that overheating wont be a problem. changed suspension to Bilstein heavy duty shocks after the air stanchions gave way. Overhaul the engine every 35k Mi.. it makes a big difference. front windows come off alignment after a while which cause them to fall into the doors. I've already changed the climate control to Sanden AC. Carpeting has also given way and needs to be reupholstered after 30k Mi. Change oil once a year (Mobil 1 synthetic for warm climates)

Hey it's a Range Rover
By range driver 007 on 02/15/09 13:19 PM (PST)

1997 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

Beside the electrical problems, and other odds & ends, the truck is fun to drive. The key is have a good mechanic, the one I use has a graveyard of dead land rovers to pick parts from. Also I was recently in an accident (rear ended) and all I can say is you should see the other guy.

Once Bitten, Thrice Shy
By Wayne on 02/12/09 17:10 PM (PST)

1997 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

Always dreamed of owning a Range Rover. Finally plucked up the courage to buy one in 2005 and after extensive research and product comparison found a one owner low mileage one at a local premier car dealer ship. I must say the after glow of owning my first "luxury" SUV began to dim very soon after we took delivery. Silly things started to go wrong almost immediately. Heated seats stopped working, sway arm needed replacing early on (causing an alarming feature called "wheel wobble"), small coolant pipe perished causing leakage, mega bucks to replace, many many air suspension faults, remote central locking system troublesome, sun roof broke itself! (big money to repair) that was the final straw.

Range Rover great visibility and comfort
By kpacific on 02/24/08 20:15 PM (PST)

1997 Land Rover Range Rover 4.0 SE 4dr SUV AWD

I commute in the vehicle on the freeway, and love the height and visibility that I have. The Rover manuvers well on the open road, but pick up can be a problem. Sluggish going up hills. Does well on dirt mountain roads in rain and snow. The AWD is a plus. The cost of driving the car, from gas to repairs to replacement parts is very high. In my 30+ years of driving, I've never had to have my car towed in for repair until my Rover...it's been towed twice. With this vehicle, you must find a reliable, knowledgeable repair facility. This is difficult, even in an urban setting.

"P" OFF
By da_truth on 10/07/07 18:25 PM (PDT)

1997 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

I have grown to be very disappointed in this vehicle,because its has been a constant struggle to keep the engine light off, air condition continues to not work properly and last but not least I had to have regular shocks installed due the air suspension going out aleast 3 times within the first year of having it. I guess I would say that Land Rover needs to invest more money into their mechanics training, because their truly not get it done correctly. I think I will never invest so much time and money in Range Rover ever again. This was my first and problably the last that I will ever own.

97 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Review
By Best4x4 on 03/11/06 17:34 PM (PST)

1997 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

I've owned several Land Rover's and the 97 4.6L HSE is without a doubt the most comfortable vehicle to drive in especially on long trips. I would highly recommend any Land Rover product to anyone looking for a unique and extremely comfortable vehicle.

97 4.6 HSE
By Alex on 02/27/06 17:44 PM (PST)

1997 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

I really love our Range Rover. It truly is a great vehicle. It fits five people just fine, and handles great on slippery conditions. Thinking about getting another one. You will truly love how this car drives as long as you keep it maintained.

Beautiful & Clever - The RANGE ROVER
By kensingtonhse on 10/14/05 16:40 PM (PDT)

1997 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

The 1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Kensington Edition - Land Rover is unsurpassed for their unbeatable crafting of excellent veicles. The 97 Range Rover is no exception. I have owned this veicle for a year now (my first car), and its fantastic! The only thing I had to fix was an airbag, and the sunroof. It has a little over 100,000 on it. I maintain my own Rover. For the DIY owner (Or an independent LR shop if you wish)its quite resonable to fix. If you own more than one land rover - buy reasonable diagnosic software, to help you out with electronics - as it does have it quoter! As for fuel ecominy - what do you expect! Fuels not at $5 yet, so big deal! Wow what an excellent veicle.....

love this suv
By sparkette on 07/13/05 15:24 PM (PDT)

1997 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

I love this car!!! I have always owned BMW's and swore that was all I would ever drive. My husband bought this car when I got pregnant because it was big and safe and he had always wanted one.He thought after a couple months I would give it to him and get something else.I won't give it up. It is very fun to drive and I love how high you sit up and you can see everything. His Tahoe has horrible blind spots. It is more comfortable to sit in for long trips than his bigger Tahoe. Repair bills are comparable to other luxury vehicles, it is not a Ford and will cost more to fix. That's why it's luxury. The only drawback is it is a little slow on pick up but its not a sports car either.

RANGES ROVERS SUCK
By rover's suck on 01/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Land Rover Range Rover 4.0 SE 4dr SUV AWD

I hate the reliability of this truck. it breaks down often & repair prices are ridiculous. When this truck breaks down, the repair is $2,000.00 on average. this truck has parts in it that no other truck has & they all break down. I put $10,000.00 into this truck in one year. the blue book value has plummetted. i can't believe this truck was once $69,000.00. NEVER BUY THIS TRUCK OR YOU WILL PAY THE PRICE.