1996 Land Rover Range Rover - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Range Rover model:
Must be "hands on" owner!
By oc_range_rover on 07/25/14 10:46 AM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

Now that I've had mine for about 10 months I will say, this is a fantastic vehicle. To get all the comfort with the rugged of road capability is a true blessing. The value of these cars "used" is immeasurable. There is one big caveat to ownership however, that is, you must be a hands on owner. Must be able to do much of the maintenance and repair work yourself. also be able to source parts yourself. If you can do this the vehicle is an incredible value. If you cant, and must take it to a "qualified" shop when something goes wrong, then your wallet will be drained faster than your gas tank on this bad boy. Get your own hands greasy and be happy!

Best SUV vehicle that money can buy.
By Lord of Marlbrough on 12/11/08 14:38 PM (PST)

1996 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

I've owned this beautiful 4.6 HSE which was a one owner car owned by a heart specialist and had onlt 65000 miles on it when I picked it up at the dealership. I've been blessed by this vehicle since day one, because it was properly maintained before than I kept up with it no bills higher than couple of hundred dollars twice in five years. this vehicle is 12 years old now and it still turn heads as you drive by.

Baby is her Name
By son of a KING on 09/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

I picked it up a few days ago,from Don Johnson in Hollywood,I researched it real good,and if your looking for a preowned RR make sure you know what your looking 4,it has less than 9thousand miles a year on it,I drove it home with my lil bro for over 40 hours, right through Hericane Frances. we live in florida,pushed throught the storm at 90 MPH,no problem for this BABY,yes this truck is a lil more to service than any other car I have ever owned, but it is going to be a work truck and I can tell she is going to be up for it,im gonna use her on the farm, GOD WILLING,this girl has been taken care of,it was such a blessing,she is wounderful,Thank God

Unhappy with my RR 4.6HSE
By 4.6 HSE RR Owner on 12/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

It feels like every other month, there is always something that needs repairing:BeCM replaced $2200 EAS system faults (I am in the process of converting to springs)$1500 Center-caps for the wheels keep popping off $22 each, eight replaced thus far Rear hatch problems $200 Os2 sensor Replaced under recall, but the dealer wanted to charged for labor

Great SUV at tremendous cost
By eab6287 on 08/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

We purchased a 1996 Range Rover HSE about a year ago and it has been the best vehicle we've ever driven...when it's working. The alternator, engine computer, air suspension compressor, and numerous other parts have been replaced, costing thousands. Despite all this, at least for us, it's been worth it. Even when there was a problem, the in-dash display warned of it and the engine electronically limited its speed...it never left us stranded or needed to be towed.

highs and lows
By bay area rover on 06/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

Owning this vehicle is a combination of highs and lows. Overall, we hate the RR most just after we've paid another $2K repair bill. We love it shortly before it breaks again. I'd never buy another. We bought it as a family hauler right before the birth of our second boy. It's done OK there - hauling us to Tahoe a few times, never stranding us anywhere, plenty of space inside. However, its resale value has dropped so quickly that we're upside down on the loan and can't sell without paying $$. The controls - especially the power window switches - are infuriatingly obtuse. The owners manual is more than 200 pages, and you have to read every one.