1996 Land Rover Range Rover - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Range Rover model:
Must be "hands on" owner!
By oc_range_rover on 07/25/14 10:46 AM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

Now that I've had mine for about 10 months I will say, this is a fantastic vehicle. To get all the comfort with the rugged of road capability is a true blessing. The value of these cars "used" is immeasurable. There is one big caveat to ownership however, that is, you must be a hands on owner. Must be able to do much of the maintenance and repair work yourself. also be able to source parts yourself. If you can do this the vehicle is an incredible value. If you cant, and must take it to a "qualified" shop when something goes wrong, then your wallet will be drained faster than your gas tank on this bad boy. Get your own hands greasy and be happy!

After 16 years of ownership.
By dench on 03/26/12 22:40 PM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Range Rover 4.0 SE 4dr SUV AWD

I have this car (1996 RR 4.0SE P38a) for the past 16 years and it has been one of my favorite car that provides most fun when driving it. I love the driving position that gives me the control of the road like no other SUV. There are many problems with the car, but the main thing is that it's a truly reliable vehicle when you take good care of it. I've also experienced things like EAS(changed to fixed suspension), disfunctional A/C (Auto failed), plastic parts on the door frames are falling apart, interior panels crack apart, check engine light on all the time (didn't have any clue) and it just keeps on going and going... I've done most of my maints on a local shop, didn't spend much $.

Awkward, expensive, and unreliable!
By turbostarr88 on 10/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Range Rover 4.0 SE 4dr SUV AWD

Nothing, I mean nothing, in this car works properly! The headliner is falling, the sunroof just stopped one day, the alarm doesn't work, the EAS is broken, the ignition is temperamental, all the trim pieces are falling apart/off, the power mirror memory has amnesia, the climate control does not function in "Auto" mode, the ABS system failed, the starer is slow to work, there is a mystery oil leak, the courtesy lamps in the back do not work properly, the tailgate jams, the nuts for the wheels are warped and EXPEN$IVE to replace (like everything else in this vehicle). The handling is that of a barge, but it can go anywhere. Provided nothing vital breaks and leaves you stranded!

Solid and Majestic
By Concorde on 06/25/10 00:20 AM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Range Rover 4.0 SE 4dr SUV AWD

Having owned my rover for some time now. I can say its been a great vehicle. Rovers in general are high maintenance but their cores are incredibly strong. Btw, the last poster said it's a Ford which isn't true. They weren't bought out by ford till 2001. And how does paint "fail"? I'm not going to lie, mine leaks, it creaks, and has plenty of quirks. But I love it. I have 164k miles on it and it shifts smooth, the engine purrs, and it's amazing off road. It does ride a bit harsh, but that is solid axles for you. Its incredibly easy to work on and a great DIY vehicle. Everyone in the family loves the rig and it has lots of room and its AMAZING in the snow.

Great vehicle, nothing else like it.
By lrscott on 03/18/10 22:33 PM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Range Rover 4.0 SE 4dr SUV AWD

It's been a decent truck. Got it a little over a year ago and was a little concerned about the decision, but went ahead and did it. NO REGRETS! Very well built, feels like you are commanding a luxurious cruise ship down the road in your captain's chair! Visibility is terrific! It leaks, get used to it... Recently drove a 2002 blazer. They don't even compare. Drives like a truck and is a bit of a slug, but is smooth as silk and gives you a feeling while driving it, that I cannot explain, and that cannot be replicated in any other car. Rovers are for enthusiasts and require more maintenance than usual, do it smart (don't take it to the dealership) and cost of ownership is fairly low.

A Great Vehicle
By scott f. on 02/06/10 17:29 PM (PST)

1996 Land Rover Range Rover 4.0 SE 4dr SUV AWD

I got it when gas was expensive as a second car. I have to say, I am very impressed with it. It is definitely not an average car and cannot be treated like one either. It is a conversation starter and still turns heads. However, this trucks is not for everyone. It does require a bit more maintenance and is not a vehicle you can skimp on. If you give it the very best, it will give you itís very best. if you want something unique and donít mind the extra maintenance get a rover. It won't disappoint you.

Best SUV vehicle that money can buy.
By Lord of Marlbrough on 12/11/08 14:38 PM (PST)

1996 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4dr SUV AWD

I've owned this beautiful 4.6 HSE which was a one owner car owned by a heart specialist and had onlt 65000 miles on it when I picked it up at the dealership. I've been blessed by this vehicle since day one, because it was properly maintained before than I kept up with it no bills higher than couple of hundred dollars twice in five years. this vehicle is 12 years old now and it still turn heads as you drive by.

Met Expectations
By 2nd time around on 03/13/08 17:45 PM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Range Rover 4.0 SE 4dr SUV AWD

Bought the vehicle 4 years old and kept it until 2008. Our 2nd RR. Probably better experience then most on a RR. This car has been vary reliable. Not typically the case from what I read. Key is to find a reliable NON DEALERSHIP mechanic. Remember it's a Range Rover, not a Toyota.

Own a life sized exterior paper weight!
By JTKRY on 01/21/08 21:26 PM (PST)

1996 Land Rover Range Rover 4.0 SE 4dr SUV AWD

The truck looks like a dream, but runs like a nightmare. The EAS system is a joke, the engine is as fragile as a crystal glass. I've had to change the head gasket within 2 months of owning the truck, to only have the engine crack while warming it up in the winter time. For an engine to crack while trying to warm it up is a disgrace!

Never again
By PAT on 08/26/06 09:58 AM (PDT)

1996 Land Rover Range Rover 4.0 SE 4dr SUV AWD

Bought it used with about 60,000 mile, seemed in good shapes. First air shocks went replaced with fixed springs. Paint job failed. Several interior trim pieces have cracked and fell apart. The dealership quoted a price of $300+ for a simple interior trim piece that should cost $50 to $75. They said it had to be imported. Oil leak that cannot be found. No independent shop can analyze the electronics but the dealer. Numerous noises and rattles that can't be found. This a high priced Ford and not a very well-built Ford. The Dealers sales and service departments have attitudes but the parts department are ashamed at the prices they charge. I WOULD NEVER BUY ANOTHER