2008 Land Rover Range Rover Sport HSE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Great ride
By skelly8

2008 Land Rover Range Rover Sport HSE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Bought used with 33k miles. Subaru driver needed a Schedule 179 vehicle for tax purposes. Averages 19 mpg on my commute, 21.5 on a run to Palm Springs down Hwy 5. Love the ride, sound system, navigation, turning radius. Does everything without drama. Freeway on ramp merge speed? No problem, put in sport mode and it winds to 7000 rpm like NOW and you are flying. Want to climb an impossibly steep trail? No problem, put it in low range and up you go. Brakes feel like you threw out an anchor. Big control knobs and buttons fit my stubby fingers and just feel right. I love this rig.

Favorite Features

Power, ride, quiet cabin, handling, braking, comfort, sound system and style

Suggested Improvements

Heated seats and mirrors should be standard.

Road Runner
By Racyldy

2008 Land Rover Range Rover Sport HSE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This vehicle is like driving on a cloud. It's smooth, comfortable, wraps around the driver and seems to float. It corners well, shifts very smoothly and will turn around on a dime. The gas economy is not wonderful but a fair trade for the safe and secure feeling it provides. I've had it on an off-road adventure and it really taught me what the vehicle would do. I would take it anywhere...in comfort!

Favorite Features

Dual glove compartments - very handy for a woman in construction. Viewing all the settings on the control panel

Suggested Improvements

I would like to have one a/c adapter connection stay hot even when the engine is off.

Keep on rock-crawlin' in a free world
By landrovin

2008 Land Rover Range Rover Sport HSE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

My 2008 Range Rover Sport HSE is the second Land Rover I've owned. I replaced a wiper blade once after it froze to the glass last winter (it was - 25 degrees). It has been unbelievably reliable and a joy to drive. My maintenance is complimentary, so the only thing I've paid for is tire rotations. If you want the most dynamic, safe, and enjoyable sport utility vehicle, you would be doing yourself an incredible disservice to not consider a Land Rover. I average 17mpg and I'm a pretty aggressive driver. If I set the cruise control at 73mph, I average 21-22mpg. And that's from a 4.4 liter V8 with 300hp. Eat your heart out, Mercedes.

Favorite Features

Terrain Response, cooler cubby box (small refrigerator in the center arm rest area), performance, and comfortable seats. The 550 watt harmon/kardon sound system is ridiculous (in a good way).

Suggested Improvements

Bring the diesel over! I don't blame Land Rover - I blame the idiots in California and their absurd emissions standards. A European Range Rover Sport gets over 30mpg and are only half a second slower than the Supercharged model from 0-60mph.

I dont recommend any Land Rover
By AnaJara

2008 Land Rover Range Rover Sport HSE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I have an 08 RRS with 3000 miles. It has a leaking sunroof that the dealer has tried to fix 4 times. They did not take it back the 5th time saying Land Rover said it was normal to have some water enter the suv. I spoke with Land Rover and they looked into it but have now closed my case saying "normal". This is not normal by any standards. Land Rover needs to build a better car! I only bought it because I loved the look of it. I am filing for help under the TX Lemon Law in hopes that they buy back the car so I can get into another car, not a land rover!!

Same Old Range Rover
By David

2008 Land Rover Range Rover Sport HSE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Best Looking SUV in its class. Too bad Land Rover has not fixed it's mecanical issues. Wait till you get to 25000 mile and the dealer tells you that you need new brakes all around. Dealer won't help nor will Land Rover. They claim this is normal wear and tear. Right!

Favorite Features

Front end is beautiful. Plenty of power. Stereo is excellent.

Suggested Improvements

Fix your engineering! Bluetooth is horrible. My wife has a Lexus and it is embarrasing to talk on mine. Lexus is superior.

Coolest luxury SUV around
By naes91

2008 Land Rover Range Rover Sport HSE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

When first looking at thr RRS I was just in utter amazement. They are a sleek and sexy machine. I have had mine since October 2008 and have no complaints what so ever. It drives like a dream, yes a little heavy but I feel it is needed. It's as nimble as my wife's Volvo S40 t5. In the snow it has proven better than my F-150 or past Jeep Cherokee. Sitting in the driver's seat is like sitting in a fighter jet. Comfortable and everything is within reach and convenient.

Favorite Features

Driving it everyday and the heads it turns makes you feel just good, mine is the remini red, so it sticks out even more! The sound system will blow you away!

Suggested Improvements

A back up camera might be nice, a heated steering wheel, push button start and maybe an auto open/close tailgate but that would just put it over the top! Hopefully Land Rover is reading these reviews!

Awesome SUV!
By alberto martinez

2008 Land Rover Range Rover Sport HSE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

It's been a fun experience driving the car. You will also get a lot of compliments -it looks great. The brakes are very good and it handles really well on curves for an SUV.

Favorite Features

Body style- sound system-super charged wheels.

Suggested Improvements

The HSE needs more power and the exhaust tips should have a sportier look. The current tips are awful- they look out of place even on the super- charged model.

Great but not yet...
By bizking

2008 Land Rover Range Rover Sport HSE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This is a GREAT SUV I've ever owned. I have 13K now and got lots of service because of the "check engine light". But the problem is the they cannot find the reason for that problem. Hope next generation has much better reliability. But I think this is really great SUV especially in mountains.

Favorite Features

Stereo, Performance, TRS

Suggested Improvements

Push button Start, rear view camera, better LCD.

This is a great Rover!
By JJF030

2008 Land Rover Range Rover Sport HSE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

After owning 2 LR3s and 2 X5s I upgraded to the RR Sport. This is a great SUV, and is truly king of the mountain. Don't be deceived by the scary reliability ratings, I've had more trouble out of Lexus and BMW products. The vehicles are sometimes quirky, but the issues are small and infrequent. Plus the dealer is great to work with and always gives you a Rover loaner. Plus, this is the best looking SUV on the market. I have never had so many compliments. I would recommend the RR Sport to anyone that appreciates a refined luxury SUV.

Favorite Features

The Logic 7 sound system is great, seats are very comfortable and the materials are top notch. The adaptive Xenon lights are great. You can't beat the ride and drive - very comfortable on a long trip. Plus the Rover is very nimble and responsive in town.

Suggested Improvements

Heated steering wheel, push button start, smart entry system (without a key), true ipod integration. Of course, we would all like better fuel economy. A diesel would be a great choice.

So far so good
By bestdeal

2008 Land Rover Range Rover Sport HSE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Range Rovers have a history of failing over time. The $6000 dealer cash sealed the deal for me. Although the Range depreciates faster than any other luxury SUV I feel it is still a good value. It just needs to be taken into consideration before purchased. Residual value is low. Don't let the TMV fool you! You can get a Range for well under factory invoice. I got mine for $5500 because of the dealer cash.The advertised $795 with no money down can be beaten by a large margin!

Favorite Features

It's a Range! Best looking LUX suv on the road. Not for those who care about the future of the earth. That's why I leased.

Suggested Improvements

Compassion for the environment. It's my daughters car and she only drives 3-4K per year so the mpg doesn't have that big of an , but she loves it and I love her.