Used 2006 Land Rover Range Rover Sport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Range Rover Sport model:

Emphasize Sport in SUV
By J.D. Giovinazzo

2006 Land Rover Range Rover Sport SUV HSE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This is a great SUV that's fun to drive. This heavy vehicle is a bit thirsty for fuel, about 16.5 avg. It is a very quality built machine that moves well in sport mode, and even better in the well positioned manual mode. I've driven several vehicles in manual mode and this vehicle is the easiest and ergo thoughtful of all of them, less vehicles with paddle shifters. The interior is classy and with the real wood trim, looks great. With the weight of this vehicle, be prepared to replace brakes every 30k or so, depending on driving habits. The brakes will run about $1,400 at the dealership. Only issue is the rear tailgate struts went out, otherwise, great Sport UV. JG

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, great styling, well appointed, comfortable. Soaks up big bumps well and has a quality European feel.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes well, but don't last long. Sunroof drain vents crimped, covered under warranty. Rear tailgate struts don't work. Rear headsets block rear view when up. Should have power steering tilt. Towing package should be standard, lites ($200) and hitch ($300)!

Amazing SUV
By mrjohnnycat

2006 Land Rover Range Rover Sport SUV HSE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought the Rover from a private party, the guy only had 18K in two years. I bought it for 40K it was in perfect condition. I bought someone's supercharged pipes for and put also purchased chrome caps for the side mirrors and most importantly 22" wheels. The car gets a lot of attention! Everyone digs this car because it is very clean but not over the top. We just took it up from Orange County up to Carmel, Northern Cali up PCH and this car drove like a champ! No power lag for a two ton and I avg 18 mpg, not great but hey, if you don't have money you shouldn't be buying this car period. I haven't had any problems from random lights a couple of times put I have been very happy with this car.

Favorite Features

This SUV is a tank, people get out of your way. The Sport is probably the most handsome out of the line. Bluetooth works well with my Blackberry curve. I also really enjoy the cockpit interior vs. the extra space, more sports car feel.

Suggested Improvements

How about the ability to lock your glove compartment? You think after paying 65K it would lock? How about a sunglasses holder and vented drivers seats? Other than that,better gas mileage. I will be the 1st in line if they make a hybrid that gets 20-25 mpg,

Mistake
By Simon

2006 Land Rover Range Rover Sport SUV HSE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Leasing this car was a big mistake. NO acceleration, car is sleepy, I have to change brakes every 10K miles ($600 each time) Rear hood is pain. But the most painful part is combination PRICE/QUALITY. My advice: think twice.

Love it!
By Rover Mom

2006 Land Rover Range Rover Sport SUV HSE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this car brand new. I had an MB E Class. The Rover sport is cute seems a little small when all adults are in the vehicle. I've been told the head rest are uncomfortable in the rear. I had a short in one of my headlights the 1st month I owned the car. I dropped it at the dealer they gave me a loaner, I picked it up 3 days later and never had the problem again. I just got rotors and brakes all around $1500, I never had such a high maintenance bill ever! I love the Rover sport I just wish it was a little more roomy, better on gas, and it's a little slow to take off, have to work speed up. I'm thinking about going to the full size HSE, but I wonder will it be worth it...

Favorite Features

I love the touch voice NAV. Perfect for people like me who can't find the way anywhere! I also love the bluetooth. The rear heated seats are loved by passengers. I have Giverny Green it really turns heads.. to top it all off it is a cool mom mobile, I still got it.

Suggested Improvements

Leg and head room in rear

I still love it after 33K mi.
By Emmett_III

2006 Land Rover Range Rover Sport SUV HSE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

After 33K mi, I have had zero problems. My only visits to the dealership are for the free maintenance included with the purchase.

Favorite Features

The offroad driving aids are fantastic and are terrific in winter driving conditions.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel mileage is bad (15 MPG). The Summer Only tires need to be supplemented with a Snow & Ice set of tires if you live any place with a real winter.