Used 2008 Land Rover LR3 V8 SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Land-rover Lr3 - Consumer Reviews

2008 Land Rover LR3

View reviews for a specific LR3 model:

This is what a proper suv should be
By discovery3

2008 Land Rover LR3 V8 SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Where to start??? I have 2008 discovery3/lr3 with the luxury, cold weather, and heavy duty package with front parking sensors And rear entertainment center. Best car I have ever owned!!! And I have owned alot, 15+ since I was 18. This one is staying around for a while. There is nothing it can't do.. well everything except gas mileage. It is quite thirsty guzzling down premium petrol.

Favorite Features

Ride height adjustment, full folding seats with 7 passenger. Three sun roofs. Split tail gate. Very smooth 6 speed automatic with sport mode and comand shift. Tall side windows for great view. Most people stare and smile when they see the car. It is often confused with the higher end range rover model.

Suggested Improvements

Interior dash is a bit cheaply made. The hse looks a bit better with added the standard wood trim. The leather seats are really nice and durable but a tad bit too firm but still really comfortable For the long drive. The only other improvement would be to make the sunroof fully open. I guess the design with the step roof prevents this

Best SUV
By fallout79

2008 Land Rover LR3 V8 SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I had always considered a Land Rover but been scared of the reliabilty. I finally went for a test drive and realized just how good this vehicle is. In terms of design, comfort, style, and capability there simply is not another vehicle that comes close. I bought an 08 with 70k on it and got an awesome deal. It had a full service history and was in mint condition. I drive it all day for business in the week and get around 18mpg. At the weekend I can load it up for weekend trips to the mountains and go on offroad trails that are extremely challenging. Othertimes I tow our 25' boat with ease. I'm at 90k with no problems. I have it regularly serviced by the LR dealer who are great. Best SUV!

Favorite Features

Variable height suspension. Great looks. Driving position and visibility. Ease of adaptability of rear cabin from luxury seating to massive storage area. Towing ability. Size - just a bit smaller than a Tahoe combines with a tight turning circle to make this very easy to drive around town and in parking lots. All the luxury features. At 90k miles EVERYTHING works perfectly. Can't say the same for my wife's Lexus.

Suggested Improvements

Not much to improve. The power is adequate, but when the time comes I look forward to moving into an LR4 with the 375hp engine. Like I said though, I can tow more than many trucks, so can't really complain.

Bold and Beautiful
By Gautam Gupya

2008 Land Rover LR3 V8 SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Fun to drive, very comfortable ride. I have test driven BMW's an Audi but of no match. Shift it to manual and then feel the difference if you want to.

Favorite Features

Everything, the only car which has no blind spot.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage

Fun to drive plus much more
By kdflyer

2008 Land Rover LR3 V8 SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Great vehicle, went from a fully loaded Toyota 4runner to LR3 and after way to many years in a Toyota found something more fun, limited owner group and great dealer support. I recommend changing tires to standard SUV tires and watch fuel economy go up by 1 - 2 miles per gallons and better ride and longer life. Put 2 extra pounds of pressure in tire and she really sails down the interstate. 3rd row is awesome design compared to everything else in this class. Looking forward to the LR4. Trade off from the Toyota is better space, better visibility and after changing tires better fuel economy. Drawbacks is number of dealers but quality has been great.

Favorite Features

3rd row comes in extremely handy, 3 row sunroof is also appreciated then comes heated windshield and 2nd row seat heater - my girls have loved it.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of high dollar performance tires and go with good SUV tires, you'll lose a little sticky but I've yet to slalom a 4600lb SUV.

Design Flaw
By Vincent

2008 Land Rover LR3 V8 SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Love it! Contrary to some reviews, I like the lumbering feeling in the LR3. Very roomy, very safe. My wife drives my 2 kids around and about, and I am at ease knowing they are in such a solid and safe vehicle. Here is the flaw. After a severe fall rain storm, my wife opened the door of our LR3 and water poured out of the front passenger seat. The dealer told me that leaves clog the soffet for the moon roof drainage system. The H20 has no where to go, so it falls inside the car. She said it is a design flaw for all 3 models. She knew exactly what it was when I called it in. If you garage your LR3, then don't sweat it. If you have a garage that is too low for the LR3. Heads up!

Favorite Features

Clam shell style tail gate. Height off of the ground. Roominess. Solid feel. Stunning good looks. Stereo system. Glass roof

Suggested Improvements

Big soffet drainage, so it doesn't spill over into the front seat. Better fuel system. Make seat memory standard. I am 6'1'', my wife is 5'1''. On a rainy day, I get all wet.