2006 Land Rover LR3 Consumer Review: An honest real review

2006 Land Rover LR3 - Consumer Review

SE 4dr SUV (4.4L V8 4x4 6-speed Automatic)

An honest real review
By joea01 on

2006 Land Rover LR3 SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Here is a 3 month review -- First off I can't express how Important it is to HAVE THE CAR LOOKED AT BY A THIRD PARTY. If you buy one and its priced at or above the blue book value (which is fairly spot on) you give yourself no wiggle room if something goes wrong...and typically people don't keep great records and things WILL go wrong about every 4-5 yrs (amk pump). I knew this going in and this is typical car breakdown -- I spent $2700.00 the first week-> belts, out/in tire rod (100 each), control bushings (300) , alignment (80),amk suspension (800), bolts and clamps, air filter, computer reprogramming (6 comps), tpms sensors, ball joints, oil/lube/filter. Gas mileage 10 city/15 highway.

For its quirks, its so wonderful to drive. It has a real presence that is hard to explain. People will come up and say how much they love it. It has such an Iconic shape. The suspension is great and adjustable. Over the winter I drove with the suspension raised and could easily drive over 6-8 inches of ice on streets and rough terrain. I had a tow truck who couldnt even manage to get where I was going (Needed my help, but didnt take it) trying to get another car out of the snow. On my street over the course of one weekend I was the only person able to drive. Sits up high, spacious interior will spoil you. Tons of room for passengers or cargo. Can lower height for kids or older folks.

Lots of computers that are quirky.The battery wont ever fully recharge. I let the car sit over a week and when I drove again the battery depletion caused the emergency break (its electronic) to fault, which then somehow is linked to the low/high gear range to fault and not work. However once I drove it, and the batter charged more it was fine. Back clam design of the trunk -The bottom half cables dont retract well, and if you shut the bottom half too quickly itll crush and destroy the cable, leaving it with a kink that makes closing it even more of a pain...so close it slowly. Oil change is pricey because it takes more man hours, Sensors always go down which makes engine light come on.