2006 Land Rover LR3 Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

standing out
By dragos

2006 Land Rover LR3 SUV HSE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

nice suv overall... not your common look... could use some extra hp and some more mpg... a diesel version for usa would be desired for repeat customers... premium fuel is $3/gal... but... at 57K should not be a concern?!!!

Favorite Features

bluetooth, bixenons...

Suggested Improvements

400 hp option, massaging and cooled seats, rearview camera, push button start...

Terrific
By Jim

2006 Land Rover LR3 SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I have put 15,600 miles on my Rover so far and I love the vehicle. Mainly on road driving, but some off-road on iced dirt roads with inclines and sideways washouts. The Rover virtually drives itself with the auto programs and didn't hiccup. In some snow/ice storms I was forced to drive through-I always felt safe and secure in the vehicle. Near sports-car handling in such a big vehicle-contrary to some writing it is not tippy to me at all under any conditions I've encountered.

Favorite Features

Seating, engine, transmission. Off and on road confidence. Goes anywhere, anytime.

Suggested Improvements

One-touch windows. Better heater. Put sat. radio in standard. Needs retractible mirrors switch.

wouldn't buy one
By powershopper

2006 Land Rover LR3 SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

The test drive was impressive so much so that you could visualize yourself driving on the off-roads on the weekends but discover there is no compass! The windshield sensors don't work right and so you have to manually operate them which can be hazardous on long drives. (There is no intermittent control) I've had the car for three months and it has been in the shop for at least 3 weeks. Lots of trouble with the compressor and rattles we can't get rid of. There are a lot of blind spots. Should be more luxurious for the price. Hard to find climate control buttons. Doesn't have a lot of pick up for a V 8. Car has a nice exterior appearance. I'm a little worried about taking it on a long trip.

Favorite Features

Exterior appearance, It's the best car I've ever driven on snow.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the rattles, put an intermitant setting on the wipers and fix the rain sensors. Put in a compass!

the best
By nick

2006 Land Rover LR3 SUV HSE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

it is the best car i have ever owned and i have owned 20 some cars. my last was a volvo xc90 which is very nice but this beats it if you ask me

Great Vehicle SHORT TERM.. NO longevity
By jaison

2006 Land Rover LR3 SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Love the vehicle for the past 6 months+ few quirks that the dealer had to fix. Terrible gas mileage. I am not a stickler on gas though I am getting ONLY 10 miles to the gallon on average between city & hwy. It says that it should give you 14 city 18 hwy (B.S.) That is 60 percent less than expected! I have come from an Escalade and even that brougth me close to 15 mpg. Love staying with american products.

Favorite Features

Hydraulic suspension for easy access and lifted position for snow covered roads. The eight cylinder is definitely worth the added cost and Great in power. FULL roof moonroof.

Suggested Improvements

Give this vehicle some longevity for users to hold it for years as opposed to having to trade it in early because of HIGH maintainace cost. NOT to be held after the factor bumper to bumper expires!

Gas Guzzler
By Asif

2006 Land Rover LR3 SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Just bought the new LR3 SE. Love the drive and the feel of the vehicle. Probably one of the best handling and safest SUV's I've ever driven. In the last 10 days I filled up the 23 gallon tank 3 times with the recommended premium gas. Each fill up ran about $55. The vehicle got about 250 miles to the tank full or about 11 MPG in city/highway driving. It is suppose to get 14 city/18 highway. Remember it is 4 wheel drive 24/7 and has a V8 300hp, and it is one of the heaviest SUV's out there (over 7,000 lbs.) I would recommend that any potential owner rent this vehicle for one day and track the mileage based on the way you drive. If you're satisfied with the results, then buy this vehicle.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the sense of safety that I feel when driving this vehicle, for myself and my family. We test drove a number of SUV's including the Volvo XC90 and nothing came close to the LR3. The vehicle has good pick up and handles well getting on and off the expressway.

Suggested Improvements

Land Rover has to figure a way of reducing the weight of this vehicle. They may also want to consider adding a control to be able to switch into 4 wheel drive when needed as opposed to all the time. This would help save on fuel.

LR V8 SE
By retfalvi

2006 Land Rover LR3 SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

As expected the "Queen of SUV"s. Love the solid feel and the quietness of the V8. Straightforward design, cannot go wrong with a Jaguar engine. Features are tailored to my needs. This will be a keeper.

Favorite Features

Ride, presence, size/weight, audio (updated), cargo space, neighbor's facial expressions...

Suggested Improvements

Paint the fender flares, cover gap between rear seats (folded) and cargo space.

Excellent SUV
By Jamie

2006 Land Rover LR3 SUV HSE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I just purchased the LR3 HSE and it is the best SUV I have ever had. We just had a blizzard in the Northeast and this car did not even flinch. It feels extremely safe and it so much fun to drive. It has so many great features that other SUV's don't have. I would recommend it to anyone.

Favorite Features

.Bluetooth Phone system, 3 sun roofs, refrigerator in the consol, 3rd row is easy to put up and down, 2nd row all seats fold down individually, 2nd and 3rd row can listen to radio, while main cabin listens to cd's, car raises and lowers

Suggested Improvements

The HSE should have standard wood trim on interior. We had to add it and at this price point it should come with it. Needs automatic button to close trunk...when driver opens his door ALL doors should unlock...Back of car is a little ugly and flat looking

Best SUV around
By Best SUV around

2006 Land Rover LR3 SUV HSE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I've had the fully loaded HSE since November, 2005 and have 6000 miles on it. No problems whatsoever! I love this car...the smoothest SUV I've ever been in. I thought about the X5, MDX, Toureg, RX, Cayenne and ML.....I have absolutely no regrets for picking the Land Rover. The best part of the car is the ride....by far.

Favorite Features

I love the whole thing. Absolutely beautiful exterior and luxurious interior.

Suggested Improvements

Not exactly a speedster from the get-go, but still has plenty of power. Brakes squeel when in reverse, but resolved on it's own.

Awesome truck
By CMHaverford

2006 Land Rover LR3 SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I've had Land Rover Discovery's for over 10 years and have always loved them. The LR3 takes the experience one step closer to a Range Rover. It drives very smoothly, more like a car than a truck, it's fast, and very comfortable. Love the feel and look of the truck!

Favorite Features

The lines are very attractive, the sound system is great, the three fold down rear seats are very convenient.

Suggested Improvements

Fords influence shows in some of the interior details - more plastic and less attention to detail.