Used 2006 Land Rover LR3 HSE SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific LR3 model:

top 4X4
By cbloomers

2006 Land Rover LR3 SUV HSE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I had a range rover a couple years back and loved it, then brought a new Escalade 2008 it was fun for a while but then bad build quality showed through. Sold it for the LR3 and realized what I had been missing. Next car will be a range rover or LR4. Sorry to hear some people have had problems but these are the best off roaders you can get.

Favorite Features

Looks, cool box, Blue tooth and the hand brake switch.

Suggested Improvements

better fuel economy, and change the headrest.

The standard in 7 seater luxury SUV's
By hidlebac

2006 Land Rover LR3 SUV HSE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

It is solid, heavy, and safe. I feel comfortable when wife is driving it with our daughter. It is a solid car, with a slick, ergonomic cockpit. Lots of buttons but they are very thoughtfully placed. The Nav is great. I would recommend a nav update DVD from Navteq for people who still have the original software. It makes things alot better.

Favorite Features

Nav, adjustable tranny, air shocks

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy could be better, DVD screen would be nice

headrests
By shawn moore

2006 Land Rover LR3 SUV HSE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This is my second Land Rover, they are just not the same anymore. The headrests are so poorly positioned that I am spending a fortune on neck pain!!! Land Rover North America is not doing anything for me!! Tires, had to be replaced at 13,000 miles. LR3 broke down for no reason and they still don't know why. It is not a safe or comfortable vehicle. Buy a toyota, at least they hold some value!

Favorite Features

Body design and third row seats.

Suggested Improvements

Change headrests and put SUV tires on new vehicles.

LR3 Review
By Darley

2006 Land Rover LR3 SUV HSE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This truck is driven mostly as a family shuttle and grocery getter. But there's the occasional roadtrip up and down the east coast, when I really make use of the 300HP and command feature. This truck comes alive at high speeds and the ride feel solid, but luxurious. Poor on gas, but what do you expect from a 3 ton truck. I suggest replace the air filter with a K & N for better fuel mileage and performance. I really enjoy the LR3's blend of the utilitarian look with the luxury amenities. If you're in the market for a purposeful luxury truck, the LR3 is the quentatiential vehicle for you. It doesn't scream poseur, ostentatious, or what’s the point like many competitors.

Favorite Features

The 3rd row seats and cooler box are my favorite features. I also like the Terrain Response System. I've used it numerous time in urban dridlock situations from climbing stairs to fording through street floodings.

Suggested Improvements

The HEADREST! please make that thing adjustable. Please reposition the memory seat controls they are difficult to get to when the door is closed. Replace Goodyear at OEM tires, they diminish the ride quality, are noisy, and reduce the effective of the terrain response system. Update the interior.

Good but quirky
By RJD

2006 Land Rover LR3 SUV HSE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

As the other reviewers said, it is solid, heavy, and safe. I feel comfortable when wife is driving it with our daughter. But for the money, there are so many quirky things that go wrong, the tire pressure guage is faulty, had an issue with brakes, the issue with water coming in the car from the sunroof, etc. It is a solid car, but Costco is the only jungle I'm headed to. Too many off road features and not enough attention directed to designing a slick, ergonomic cockpit. Way too many buttons, and the nav totally stinks. A paper map is more useful. My Acura TL has a nav that blows this away. I'll be turning my lease in in 2 months and not getting another.

Favorite Features

Everyone loves how the car raises and lowers, but my all time favorite features are the heated winshield and the tailgate. Great for having a picnic right out of the car.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy, better interior