Used 2006 Land Rover LR3 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific LR3 model:

An honest real review
By joea01

2006 Land Rover LR3 SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Here is a 3 month review -- First off I can't express how Important it is to HAVE THE CAR LOOKED AT BY A THIRD PARTY. If you buy one and its priced at or above the blue book value (which is fairly spot on) you give yourself no wiggle room if something goes wrong...and typically people don't keep great records and things WILL go wrong about every 4-5 yrs (amk pump). I knew this going in and this is typical car breakdown -- I spent $2700.00 the first week-> belts, out/in tire rod (100 each), control bushings (300) , alignment (80),amk suspension (800), bolts and clamps, air filter, computer reprogramming (6 comps), tpms sensors, ball joints, oil/lube/filter. Gas mileage 10 city/15 highway.

For its quirks, its so wonderful to drive. It has a real presence that is hard to explain. People will come up and say how much they love it. It has such an Iconic shape. The suspension is great and adjustable. Over the winter I drove with the suspension raised and could easily drive over 6-8 inches of ice on streets and rough terrain. I had a tow truck who couldnt even manage to get where I was going (Needed my help, but didnt take it) trying to get another car out of the snow. On my street over the course of one weekend I was the only person able to drive. Sits up high, spacious interior will spoil you. Tons of room for passengers or cargo. Can lower height for kids or older folks.

Lots of computers that are quirky.The battery wont ever fully recharge. I let the car sit over a week and when I drove again the battery depletion caused the emergency break (its electronic) to fault, which then somehow is linked to the low/high gear range to fault and not work. However once I drove it, and the batter charged more it was fine. Back clam design of the trunk -The bottom half cables dont retract well, and if you shut the bottom half too quickly itll crush and destroy the cable, leaving it with a kink that makes closing it even more of a pain...so close it slowly. Oil change is pricey because it takes more man hours, Sensors always go down which makes engine light come on.

Best SUV ever!
By Cathy

2006 Land Rover LR3 SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I leased my LR3 for two years, then when the lease came do I could not think to give it back! IT WAS MY BABY! So I moved forward and purchased it and I could not be happier! My car has 60,000 miles on it now, I did in fact have an issue with the sunroof, and it was fixed about a year ago, it took a little bit but they did get it! I only care about the performance and the fact that my car runs like its brand new! In swear by my LR3, and think that sometimes we all run into a lemon as I did with one of the five Grand Cherokee's I leased. I would never buy a Chrysler at 30,000 your car starts to fall apart. LR3 are solid, and I am very happy, will keep it forever! BEST TRUCK OUT THERE!

Suspension system, great bright lights, will get out of anything getting stuck is no longer, how solid the vehicle is OMG like brand new always.

NOTHING Best truck I ever owned!

Excellent car that will be missed
By LandRoverWA

2006 Land Rover LR3 SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Purchased new and kept for 4 years and 52,000 miles. No reliability issues, got between 17-20 mpg depending on how loaded the car was. The flat load floor with all rows of seats folded is excellent. Decent navigation system and excellent off-road capabilities. No regrets. I have no idea why CR rates this car so poorly, it was 20x more reliable and better than our 02 Disco II.

Looks, great Jaguar 4.4L V8, height adjustable suspension, and sure footed 4 wheel drive. Excellent cargo and load capacity.

Bring the V6 TDI to USA please.

Very good experience with LR3
By Patrick

2006 Land Rover LR3 SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I have driven an LR3 since May of 2006. The vehicle is excellent as both an off road vehicle and an on road luxury car/truck. I have taken it on long trips (San Diego to Yellowstone etc) and it was a joy to drive. I have been off road with in and in bad weather and messy muddy roads, and it performed flawlessly. The SE7 can fit 7 comfortably. The options work well and the window space provides great views and visibility. The footprint is not so large like a Tahoe etc so its easier to park and maneuver. I strongly recommend this vehicle, and while premium priced, is worth it for long hauls, off road, or a night on the town and taking out clients. Best car I have ever owned.

Comfort of ride, visibility, blue tooth operation, off road - bad road capability. Try the hill descent control on a slippery road and you can drive hands free. Its spectacular.

I think they needed to improve the luxury and finish in certain areas and they certainly did for 2010. I suggest with any model getting the roof rails / rack to give the car a more balanced look. I like lighter colors on the exterior with a black interior and trim. Side door guards as well

top 4X4
By cbloomers

2006 Land Rover LR3 SUV HSE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I had a range rover a couple years back and loved it, then brought a new Escalade 2008 it was fun for a while but then bad build quality showed through. Sold it for the LR3 and realized what I had been missing. Next car will be a range rover or LR4. Sorry to hear some people have had problems but these are the best off roaders you can get.

Looks, cool box, Blue tooth and the hand brake switch.

better fuel economy, and change the headrest.