Used 2006 Land Rover LR3 Consumer Reviews - 90 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Land Rover LR3 - Consumer Reviews

2006 Land Rover LR3

View reviews for a specific LR3 model:

10 years and still loving my LR3.
By Zak P.

2006 Land Rover LR3 HSE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

The key is to find a good independent Land Rover repair shop. Trips to the dealer repairs shops may end up with follow up visits to repair other failing or failed items...in my case. Started going to and independent LR repair shop in Bellevue, WA, and doing most of repairs myself, and I have not had any issues for several years (knock on wood). If you air suspension goes out, consider investing in a coil/spring conversion. Kits range between $1500 and $900; once completed, you'll never have to worry about failing air suspensions...but the air suspension cool factor is gone. Get a tow hitch kit and you'll never need a pickup truck; just rent a utility trailer to haul your dirt or whatever suits you. I'm having a hard time deciding on a replacement for the LR3. Options have come down to the to...another Land Rover...LR4, RR Sport, or the full sized big boy RR.

If it is good enough for the Queen of England....
By William Chaney

2006 Land Rover LR3 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Check to see if the air suspension pump has ever been replaced. The pump alone with installation and software will put you back $1500 - $2000. I have owned my LR3 for 6 years and its awesome. This is a very solid truck that can handle any obstacle in its way. If it can't go over the hill, it will flatten it. Great cargo room and the best family car hands down. Opt for the HSE. The stereo, climate controls, fridge, heated front windshield, 3rd row..... worth every penny. I would buy another in a heat beat.

Bought for the third row
By Dave P.

2006 Land Rover LR3 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this primarily for the usable third row. At the time no other vehicle had one like it. We were moving to an area where a vehicle able to haul 7 adults comfortably in any weather or terrain was useful.
Other than that I feel the vehicle was overpriced, definitely unreliable until it had been in the shop for four months fixing everything wrong with it from the factory. Luckily that was under warranty, after warranty is gone you can bet on dropping a couple grand a year easy on maintenance if not more. Break jobs which it needs frequently because the damn thing is so heavy are very expensive if your not mechanically inclined enough to do your self which I am not.
Overall it was an overpriced tank I put around my family to keep them safe, it did that but I would never buy another one. There are too many lower priced and more reliable alternatives available today.

It lives up to the Land Rover name!
By Brian

2006 Land Rover LR3 SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

If you want a Land Rover then you probably either had previous experience with one or are like me and love the show top gear (BBC version) and started to fall in love with them because of how fond the presenters seem of the brand. I couldn't be happier with my LR3! It is everything it is supposed to be, commanding driving position, fantastic view from any seat (the windows are quite large and allow you to look out and down since they go lower than most vehicles. I'm not tall but some of my friends are and there is so much head room you will never have to recline the seat to avoid hitting your head. For a 6000 pound vehicle it drives more like a normal sedan, brakes are very strong (I can't even compare them to my old xterra, the LR3 is in another league), the 4.4l jaguar engine is strong and always seems to have a little more power when you need it. The front and second row seats are large and comfortable, the fold flat third row are probably the best third row seats out there, and adult can use them and they aren't bad... I would compare them to a compact car back seat. The only down side is repair costs are high and I do repairs myself, but parts can be costly too. Fuel consumption is whats to be expected for a vehicle of this weight and I am only averaging 9-10 mpg with city driving (we only drive 5 miles a day average with this). I did a little highway driving and got about 13 mpg. That being said I honestly don't care about the fuel consumption because I love this vehicle so much that it is completely worth the added fuel cost. The security and safety for my family is worth it.

I've owned 60+ vehicles, this one's my favorite!
By Kevin Pratt

2006 Land Rover LR3 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

This is a luxury special purpose vehicle and I have assumed that Good Maintenance is a necessity. I suppose Repairs can be expensive but contrary to what I had heard, the durability and dependability of this vehicle has been amazing and I have a fully optioned HSE. Only normal maintenance has been necessary. I was a Jeep Lover and this is the evolution of off-road prowess and luxury in one package. Low center of gravity due to the aluminum body which is tough as nails, despite appearing top heavy it is not. The capability of the LR3 is awesome. Everything inside is well thought out without compromise. It turns heads everywhere I go. I have had 100k+ Porshe's that didn't have the social panache and fun factor of the LandRover at half the price. Nicest daily driver I've ever had. Looks, drives and feels like it did when new inside and out and after 10-years of motoring fun I still love this vehicle. The LandRover attracts admiration without the sneers I use to get in the Porsche. Until Rolls Royce and Hummer collaborate on an SUV, I can't imagine driving anything else.