Used 2006 Land Rover LR3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
An honest real review
By joea01

2006 Land Rover LR3 SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Here is a 3 month review -- First off I can't express how Important it is to HAVE THE CAR LOOKED AT BY A THIRD PARTY. If you buy one and its priced at or above the blue book value (which is fairly spot on) you give yourself no wiggle room if something goes wrong...and typically people don't keep great records and things WILL go wrong about every 4-5 yrs (amk pump). I knew this going in and this is typical car breakdown -- I spent $2700.00 the first week-> belts, out/in tire rod (100 each), control bushings (300) , alignment (80),amk suspension (800), bolts and clamps, air filter, computer reprogramming (6 comps), tpms sensors, ball joints, oil/lube/filter. Gas mileage 10 city/15 highway.

Favorite Features

For its quirks, its so wonderful to drive. It has a real presence that is hard to explain. People will come up and say how much they love it. It has such an Iconic shape. The suspension is great and adjustable. Over the winter I drove with the suspension raised and could easily drive over 6-8 inches of ice on streets and rough terrain. I had a tow truck who couldnt even manage to get where I was going (Needed my help, but didnt take it) trying to get another car out of the snow. On my street over the course of one weekend I was the only person able to drive. Sits up high, spacious interior will spoil you. Tons of room for passengers or cargo. Can lower height for kids or older folks.

Suggested Improvements

Lots of computers that are quirky.The battery wont ever fully recharge. I let the car sit over a week and when I drove again the battery depletion caused the emergency break (its electronic) to fault, which then somehow is linked to the low/high gear range to fault and not work. However once I drove it, and the batter charged more it was fine. Back clam design of the trunk -The bottom half cables dont retract well, and if you shut the bottom half too quickly itll crush and destroy the cable, leaving it with a kink that makes closing it even more of a pain...so close it slowly. Oil change is pricey because it takes more man hours, Sensors always go down which makes engine light come on.

I REALLY Wanted to Like It, But......
By Jay

2006 Land Rover LR3 SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I owned one of these awesome Ford-made pieces of junk for about 4 months before I wisely got rid of it in favor of a quality-built vehicle. I bought it because I really liked the new styling inside and out and the more powerful engine, but didn't take into account the fact that it would be even less reliable than the 2003 Disco II that I traded in (which is really saying something). In my time owning it, I was at the dealership several times for the "check engine" light (not gas cap related), a total electronic malfunction (it said the e- brake was engaged when it wasn't and would't start for a full day), as well as a few other annoying issues. Overall, a miserable ownership experience.

Favorite Features

Ummm... It looks nice. That's where it ends. It makes me laugh when other reviewers praise its offroad prowess when most of them have probably never taken it off the pavement. I never did and I don't know too many people who spend $50k+ for a vehicle and then run it through the jungle, forest, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Quality is and always has been the biggest issue for LR. I fear that will only get worse now that Ford is involved. Gas mileage is HORRIFIC (12 mpg avg). Again, I laugh at people who say if you can afford a $50k+ vehicle that gas costs shouldn't be an issue. Guess they REALLY want to like the LR3...

Leaking Sunroof
By Jake

2006 Land Rover LR3 SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I have always loved the LR3 and have owned a Range Rover several years ago. I decided to trade my Mercedes for this 2006 LR3SE V8. I only wish I had my Mercedes back. This vehicle has been nothing but a headache. It has been in the shop multiple times for a leaking sunroof and STILL the problem persists. The last time they replace the entire sunroof but it still leaks inside the dome light, right and left posts beside the windshield. Water comes out of the "airbag" plug on the sides! It has been a nightmare and Land Rover will do nothing to make this right. I intend to pursue Lemon Law and hopefully get rid of this poor quality vehicle. I will never buy another.

Favorite Features

Off road abilities are fantastic.

Suggested Improvements

Rear camera, Include roof racks as standard equipment, Fix the leaking sunroof problem!

Please don't repeat my mistake!
By SherryFM

2006 Land Rover LR3 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Please read this. You don't deserve to endure what I've endured over 1.5 years. I've had the entire fuel assembly replaced; the entire air compressor suspension replaced; the air bag assembly replaced; the radio (twice) and the inside of the rear tires are bald while the outside are in fine shape, due to a major suspension design flaw. It now lives in the garage until my lease is up (I rent cars to travel for my job.)

Favorite Features

If I can safely get to a mountain, it holds the road very well.

Suggested Improvements

Recall the entire vehicle and replace it and acknowledge that you create a bottom-of-the-barrel product with an expensive price tag.

Eats tires - Beware
By faganravens

2006 Land Rover LR3 HSE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I leased this vehicle in April 06 and will turn it in early. It is a capable and comfortable SUV, but it eats rear tires. LR does not tell you about the TSB on its tires until after you chew through your first set at about 15K. I am on the second set of $1000 tires and they are going bald in the back at 34K. The vehicle is too expense to replace tires every year. Not isolated, see class action lawsuit against LR.

Favorite Features

looks and ride are fine

Suggested Improvements

Fix camber issue that destroys vehicle value