2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific LR3 model:
Better than my range rover and ML500
By Guess402 on 12/16/05 04:37 AM (PST)

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This is far and away the best all around SUV on the market today

The best SUV in its class
By Happy LR3 owner on 12/03/05 10:43 AM (PST)

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Pros: The new style, technology, on-road and off-road capabilities, and gadgets in general far exceed its competitors. Not to mention, the outstanding, complimentary service for the first 45,000 miles. I've been to two dealerships in different states. The service is excellent. Cons: This SUV is the quintessential "gas- guzzler". Note: I have clocked approximately 20,000 miles since May. Therefore, I expected to meet or exceed 30,000 miles before May, 2006. Yes, I know high mileage does not help vechicle resale value, but I enjoy driving the LR3.

Better than the Discovery by a mile
By aesko on 11/30/05 01:51 AM (PST)

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Purchased as a demo model, so it had a few miles on the odometer. We have previously owned a 95 Discovery, and a 02 Freelander. Land Rover seems to have done its homework this time. The overall fit and finish is far superior to LR's previous offerings,and the 300 hp on tap is just about right. For a SUV this size it handles great. However I'm not so sure about the durability of the electronics. Overall we are quite happy with the purchase of this vehicle, however LR could have done a few things better, the third row should have come as a no cost option, and the lack of a SIRIUS radio system is well just dumb. I mean GM offers XM on even its base cars. I hope it holds up better then its previous offering

An awsome vehicle, on-road and off
By UnbrknCh8n on 11/29/05 18:12 PM (PST)

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I had some fear about buying the first year of the LR3. However, with almost 25,000 miles on my truck, it has performed flawlessly (except for the tires, but that's another story). It is wonderful off-road, smooth on-road, stops on a dime, and is fun to drive. It truly does seat 7 adults, and the fold-flat rear seats are very useful. The terrain-response really does work (I've tried it in mud, snow, sand, and on steep, rocky trails). If you are not ever going to off-road, there may be cheaper SUV's, but if you spend any time driving on anything other than dry pavement, it can't be beat!

Love our LR3
By SJB on 11/16/05 23:23 PM (PST)

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

We looked at and drove every 7+ passenger SUV before buying the LR3. Our final choice was between the Lexus GX470 and the LR3. Adults can actually sit in the rear seats of the LR3 and the seats fold completely flat and you wouldn't even know that they are there. When they are upright they have a footwell. I have more room in the back seats of my LR3 than my brother does in his Yukon and I'm pretty sure I could park my LR3 inside of his truck. And that's really where the LR3 stood out for us. I never feel like I'm in a truck. The over the hood visibility is tremendous, the ride, while tight, is smooth and quiet. We often get 20 mpg on the highway... on and on and on, we love the LR3

Outstanding Car
By Bruce Brown on 11/02/05 00:32 AM (PST)

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

The LR3 has the versatility I need in a family car with the smooth and solid ride of a luxury sedan. The Jaguar 4.4 liter engine is quiet and strong enough for this heavy car and the transmission is flawless. The interior is perfectly designed, with the distinctively high Land Rover seating position and elegant controls. Both the second and third row have more usable space than any other car or SUV in this class -- I can fit three car seats in the second row and two adults in the third. Zero service problems after 6K miles. You should not expect this heavy and solid car to get good mileage and, alas, it does not. But other than that understandable shortcoming, this is a terrific car.

Glad we bought it
By LRSC on 10/18/05 23:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

We are very happy with the LR3. It hauls our sail boat, take us off road to remote camp sites and gets us to the snow in comfort and style. The interior is very comfortable and suits our taste. We find the third row seats to be useful and comfortable for adults. It has been in the shop twice. The first involved a failed rear locker. The dealer's response was excellent. They swapped a rear end from an LR3 on their lot and got us back on the road within a couple of days. The second failure was a compressor. It was on back order but was fixed as soon as it arrived. No other problems. If it continues to run well we will be happy. We plan to keep it for a long time.

LR3 does not work-stay away-it is unsafe
By hassler1 on 10/11/05 18:13 PM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

If you purchase a $54,000 car, you would think it would run. In 10 months, it has stalled at least a dozen times, died and been towed to the dealer twice, locked out of the car with keys in hand in a snow storm, because electronic keys are faulty (twice) try to find the place to insert key - it is covered with plastic and you must rip off molding. I have owned numerous cars and have had more problems with the 2005 LR3 then all combined. When we bought it, we loved it for 1 month, then reality struck and the car is unsafe to drive by anyone and after all these headaches the dealer offered me $25,000 as a trade in on My $50,000, 10 month old LR3 Stay Away at all cost!

LR3 - good, but....
By mpn1 on 09/20/05 03:02 AM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Had several stops to dealership after 2 stalls, rear sensor fail, and 2 engine faults ( one caused by gas cap!) I like the ride, and am trying to really feel comfortable about the purchase, but the reliability issues keep me from getting too attached...

Great Choice
By grendal_fly on 09/06/05 18:44 PM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

We also shopped the BWM and the Volvo, but in the end we wanted a SUV with lots of interior room that you could actually park in a normal garage. Outside of the poor gas mileage this delivers almost everything you can ask for in the price range.