Used 2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Land-rover Lr3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific LR3 model:

Great Luxury SUV
By P K Able

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

It has been a great car We take it to Tahoe and Carmel plus around town driving--it is the only true 3rd seat SUV in this price range--When you need that extra cargo room the 3rd row seat is hidden and you get total use of the cargo space--try that with a Lexus, Escalade, Denali Toyota you get back sprain lifting the 3rd row seat out to get the max cargo room

Favorite Features

Value Openness, 3rd row seat, ride, comfort design

Suggested Improvements

Depending on your height you could have a little trouble reading portions of the speedometer

It is a great city and country car
By L Lettice Carroll

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased this car after driving a Toyota Highlander for 5 years this car was a bit of a change for me that took awhile to get used to. We drive from LA north for 200 miles and back again frequently. We have found that this car is a delight to drive both in the city and the country where we need the 4 wheel drive. It zips around the city and really does climb the slippery muddy roads on our property. I feel very safe in all sorts of driving situations.

Favorite Features

I have two favorite features: the tailgate is designed with simplicity in mind and it is truly fun to drive - oh one more favorite: The auxillary ability to run my ipod or XM radio directly to be played through the speakers.

Suggested Improvements

A few complaints - the trailer hitch is a royal pain to deal with and is a big fault in the design and I feel that the second row seats should recline.

Looks great in the shop!
By Ted

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Transmission failure, suspension failure, rear differential replaced, water in front head lamp, water leaking into cabin from sunroof, water collecting in floor boards, e-brake failure, right rear break 'shattered', leaking oil from oil filter connection, recalled gas tank, faulty coolant indicator. That's 12 issues in a little over a year of ownership, and there are other smaller issues as well. If my LR3 qualified for the Lemon Law (under 15k in mileage) I'd return it. Given previous issues with the Discovery I would not spend money on a Land Rover again. The quality is just not there. At this moment it's being fixed again, then it will be traded in, not for another LR.

Favorite Features

When it runs, it rides nice. Lots of gadgets (with no quality control).

Suggested Improvements

Better quality control. It's just not qc'd by Landrover very well. Too many problems, not dependable. Although it's a big car with adequate airbag protection I don't put my kids in this car, too many serious problems (transmission, suspension, etc).

very poor quality & reliability
By Frustrated LR3 Owner

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

I really want to like my LR3. It just won't let me. I've had the transmission replaced (after it shut down my ABS, stability control, dropped the suspension to where it looked like a low rider), the alternator & battery (after it shut down my vehicle while it was still driving), and had a water leak fixed early on. Now I have water coming in from just about everywhere possible.....great quality

Suggested Improvements

quality control!!!!

Make sure you love your dealer
By Tom

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

The electronic parking brake system locked up and burnt up the rear brakes. Dealer fixed it all and I had a loaner but it took two trips to get it right. Then developed a interior water leak, again took two trips to fix. Land Rover US customer service has high school girls with an attitude answering the phones, no help. The car is actually tremendous which makes this very sad. Great ride, quite, great stereo, good gas mileage, super style, excellent off road. Everyone that rides in has nothing but compliments for it. Just make sure you love your dealer because it is built in England and they like to drink before they come to work.

Favorite Features

Great ride and quite. It is really built solid and a very comfortable road car. Great third roll back seat. Tows very well and the hitch is very cool. Very good seating position and easy access to controls. Cold weather package great with heated windshield.

Suggested Improvements

Train your dealers! Get people at headquarters that know what Customer Service is. Only buy one for the long haul or get a really great price because end of year discounting kills wholesale value do to large excess inventory levels. Remember that as with BMW your dealing with a condescending group