Used 2005 Land Rover LR3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific LR3 model:

frustrated
By Pamela

2005 Land Rover LR3 SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

This by far is the best looking SUV in its size, but have not had it since Jan 21 due to electrical problems. It was in the shop 3 times before this last one, a total of 4 times in 6 months. It has been in the shop for a total of 67 days as of today. The service department can't figure it out. It goes into crash mode while driving down the freeway. This means hazards light up and won't turn off, locks constantly lock and unlock, all service lights on the dashboard light up and the suspension drops no matter how fast or slow you are going. They have replaced the CPU and harness, and check all circuits, it still has the same problem. I will sell it when I get it back.

Drives well when working, exterior design, Navigation, roomy interior

Quality, Train technicians to be able to fix car, better MPG

Great Luxury SUV
By P K Able

2005 Land Rover LR3 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

It has been a great car We take it to Tahoe and Carmel plus around town driving--it is the only true 3rd seat SUV in this price range--When you need that extra cargo room the 3rd row seat is hidden and you get total use of the cargo space--try that with a Lexus, Escalade, Denali Toyota you get back sprain lifting the 3rd row seat out to get the max cargo room

Value Openness, 3rd row seat, ride, comfort design

Depending on your height you could have a little trouble reading portions of the speedometer

It is a great city and country car
By L Lettice Carroll

2005 Land Rover LR3 SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased this car after driving a Toyota Highlander for 5 years this car was a bit of a change for me that took awhile to get used to. We drive from LA north for 200 miles and back again frequently. We have found that this car is a delight to drive both in the city and the country where we need the 4 wheel drive. It zips around the city and really does climb the slippery muddy roads on our property. I feel very safe in all sorts of driving situations.

I have two favorite features: the tailgate is designed with simplicity in mind and it is truly fun to drive - oh one more favorite: The auxillary ability to run my ipod or XM radio directly to be played through the speakers.

A few complaints - the trailer hitch is a royal pain to deal with and is a big fault in the design and I feel that the second row seats should recline.

Looks great in the shop!
By Ted

2005 Land Rover LR3 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Transmission failure, suspension failure, rear differential replaced, water in front head lamp, water leaking into cabin from sunroof, water collecting in floor boards, e-brake failure, right rear break 'shattered', leaking oil from oil filter connection, recalled gas tank, faulty coolant indicator. That's 12 issues in a little over a year of ownership, and there are other smaller issues as well. If my LR3 qualified for the Lemon Law (under 15k in mileage) I'd return it. Given previous issues with the Discovery I would not spend money on a Land Rover again. The quality is just not there. At this moment it's being fixed again, then it will be traded in, not for another LR.

When it runs, it rides nice. Lots of gadgets (with no quality control).

Better quality control. It's just not qc'd by Landrover very well. Too many problems, not dependable. Although it's a big car with adequate airbag protection I don't put my kids in this car, too many serious problems (transmission, suspension, etc).

very poor quality & reliability
By Frustrated LR3 Owner

2005 Land Rover LR3 SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

I really want to like my LR3. It just won't let me. I've had the transmission replaced (after it shut down my ABS, stability control, dropped the suspension to where it looked like a low rider), the alternator & battery (after it shut down my vehicle while it was still driving), and had a water leak fixed early on. Now I have water coming in from just about everywhere possible.....great quality

quality control!!!!