Used 2005 Land Rover LR3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Land-rover Lr3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific LR3 model:

Awesome L2V
By Ross

2005 Land Rover LR3 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Remember when the Space Shuttle first flew? Amid the laurels there was all this noise about the cost, the electonic failures, the "need"? Well, Land Rover has established itself by re-engineering their Discovery into a 20th century "space rover" SUV. This vehicle is built for the moon terrain and it will get you there in supreme comfort. It's had its share of recalls, failures, and tweeks but when you are driving the "first of", you can't beat the construction, performance, and charm this "Rover" has. It's less than it's competitors SUVs and still out performs them. I'll continue to work through it's "bugs" while enjoying the view from up here.

Favorite Features

Performance on and off the road. It's a M1A2 tank with a jet engine. Techie car - you can speak to the vehicle and have it do everything for you except serve my latte.

Suggested Improvements

QA the components. We've gone through 2 compressors, a fuel tank (recall), and computer issues. Add weather and Internet look-up (for addresses) from the navigation system and a sun roof that opens in the second row.

My one owner LR3 before me.
By rhazen541

2005 Land Rover LR3 SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Honestly when I considered purchasing this I was looking at a '06 MB C230, and my LR3 I usually have SUV but ins. good on MB. I only drove the LR3 for about maybe a mile on test drive, and liked it but was strange feeling. Later after purchasing it that day the more I drove the more I loved the LR3! Then when did my first road trip to visit family, there is a lot of passing power on highway and for hills, the top was not heavy so it didn't lean bad at all, w/ 50/50% (close to) weight ratio there is not any under or over steer! I love the ride comfort and steady feel on road even higher speeds. Seen one hit at 55mph head on and doors still open, it drove fine only radiator leaked so took in!

Favorite Features

I love the handling of the vehicle, and the power of it and the seating comfort and handling on highway and in corners not ride bad at all! Love tons, including safety where they hold up and have minor damage in a collision. Like one mentioned above all drivable except for radiator not hold coolant.

Suggested Improvements

There is not really anything that I would have them improve on, all works great especially the terrain response system I noticed huge difference when driving on gravel mtn rd in general and slide in corners and then put in gravel mode and no sliding at all on gravel. Give more MPG but not bad!!

Very Disappointing
By tv200

2005 Land Rover LR3 SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Eleven years of Land Rover ownership and looking to jump ship. Very poor reliability and questionable design. Multiple electrical problems, warning lights and messages galore. Lurches from slow start, brakes squeak, radio sometimes decides to take a break from working, tires wear early and unevenly. Alarm goes off randomly, doors lock and unlock selves as radio goes off and on (keys not even in car.) Sunroof leaks. Poor winter traction, especially when braking. Windshield heating element distorts vision at night. Brights activated accidentally with turn signal use, rear wiper, when working, activated accidentally when using windshield wipers.

Favorite Features

Very roomy and comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Too many to list but hey, I don't design cars, I just pay outrageous amounts for them.

It's not just the cupholders
By Arch North

2005 Land Rover LR3 SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

We love our LR3 just because it's a great car to drive. It's unbelievably smooth on the highway due to the air suspension, and a push of a button raises it for off road driving. The engine barely makes a sound when it's idling, and is matched with the transmisson so nicely that you barely feel feel it shift. The sound of the engine under accelleration is symphonic! We've owned the car for about a year and a half now, and still feel like we're going on vacation every time we get into it.

Favorite Features

Interior design. Sunroofs. Extreme offroad capability

Suggested Improvements

It would be great to have more tire options. The leather is very soft and supple, but not very durable. A dash MP3 or USB interface would be better than in the console. It would be nice to be able to manually extend the suspension to the extended mode 10.2" height

frustrated
By Pamela

2005 Land Rover LR3 SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

This by far is the best looking SUV in its size, but have not had it since Jan 21 due to electrical problems. It was in the shop 3 times before this last one, a total of 4 times in 6 months. It has been in the shop for a total of 67 days as of today. The service department can't figure it out. It goes into crash mode while driving down the freeway. This means hazards light up and won't turn off, locks constantly lock and unlock, all service lights on the dashboard light up and the suspension drops no matter how fast or slow you are going. They have replaced the CPU and harness, and check all circuits, it still has the same problem. I will sell it when I get it back.

Favorite Features

Drives well when working, exterior design, Navigation, roomy interior

Suggested Improvements

Quality, Train technicians to be able to fix car, better MPG