Used 2005 Land Rover LR3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific LR3 model:

Overall a great vehicle!
By bill4516

2005 Land Rover LR3 SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Bought a used 2005 LR3 V8 with 75,000 miles. Now just about to turn 100,000. Overall I love this vehicle and (knock wood) have not had any mechanical issues. Besides it's amazing appearance, it was cheaper than a used Tahoe 4X4. It rides very smoothly and has just the right amount of power. The a/c ( I live in Phoenix) works great. I'm hoping that it stays reliable. It hasn't however been problem free. The glove box door broke, the little door that covers the cigarette light won't stay up ( I don't smoke), the handle for the back storage area floor board came off and my side molding has come off twice. Once while four wheeling and once in a car wash (poor design). Still love the car!

Favorite Features

Appearance, ride quality and 4X4 ability!

Suggested Improvements

Improve some of the little things like interior handles. I also would like to see the drivers seat angle upward a bit more.

Can't find a better vehicle
By jokawood

2005 Land Rover LR3 SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I use to go through vehicles every 2 years or less. The first thing I look at when getting something new or thinking of getting something new is what compromise will I make when getting this? I have owned my 2005 LR3 SEV8 since 2007 (when gas prices were high) and so far after 6 years of ownership I have done regular maintenance, changed the bushings in the suspension, thermostat housing, water pump, had all the recalls. You would do to any other vehicle just like an LR3. But, I have NEVER had this vehicle leave me stranded on road or trail, never had an electrical glitch, or had a major issue. Best vehicle I have owned and I would have to compromise to get anything else out there.

Favorite Features

Feeling of safety in bad weather, ability to go through any terrain, amount of room inside. I can take the entire family, including dogs and luggage, strollers, and bicycles without a feeling of loosing power. GPS systems, heated windscreen, sound of engine when putting the pedal to the metal!

Suggested Improvements

Lack of tire choices because of XL tire requirements; Need for global coolant, not the blue/green stuff.

Purchased '05 in '10 (LR3SE)
By landroverjack

2005 Land Rover LR3 SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I absolutely love this vehicle. I've owned two 4-Runners, a Land Cruiser, an Audi and two BMW's. This LR3 is far and away my favorite vehicle. I will never own any other type of transportation. Ease of use and it's generous driving proportions are a delight to the hands and feet. I purposely sought one that did not have the navigation as they just a pain overall. Especially when my iPhone can take me anywhere.... anyhow. This vehicle has the cold weather package which I recommend if you live in the north. I've been out in the boonies with this man-car a few times and have driven it cross country twice. Did its duty and worked like a manly man car should. I dig it.

Favorite Features

Square build. Head room.

Suggested Improvements

With no 3rd row make underneath the floor pure storage. Not fitted arrangements for possible accessories.

Still holding on to my LR3
By gr8song

2005 Land Rover LR3 SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

In 2007, bought my 2005 LR3 used at about 45,000 miles and also bought very expensive extended warranty from Fidelity due to its bad reputation of reliability. Ending up never needed the extended warranty. Never have had any major problems except a few minors like the rear window wiper and brake cable corrosion. The "Check Engine" light occasionally came on and was told by my dealership that I needed new battery more than a year ago. My local Interstate Battery store checked the battery out just fine, and I am still running with it. I did changed 4 brakes with brake rotors twice for the 4 years and 50,000 miles that I have owned it so far for almost $3,000 each time. That's expensive!!!

Favorite Features

Had a lot of 4X4 fun with it due to its best in class off-road capability, and also got a lot of attention because of its unique styling. Still think it is worth for the money because you will pay much more for a Lexus LX470 or Mercedes Benz GL. Also, the LR3 (4.4L V8 with 300hp) still beats both of them in fuel economy and beats LX in horse power. I bought it for the money, 3rd row seating, and style. I believe I bought the right choice and will hold on to it.

Things to Look For in a Used LR3
By OoltewahLR3

2005 Land Rover LR3 SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this LR3 in 2008 when gas prices skyrocketed, and everyone was dumping their SUVs for better fuel economy. I bought a 2005 LR3 V8 with 30k miles for $20k with a full bumper to bumper warranty. Once I took it off- road with the dealership mechanics, I fell in love with it. I don't care that the sunroof leaks - at least not that much. If you buy one, make sure to buy it during a rain storm and drive it aggressively. That's when you'll notice a leak problem if there is one. Also - look for signs of leakage below the VIN number plate. There is a piece of paper below it (likely from the factory). If it is discolored, it is probably from one of those crummy sunroof drains.

Favorite Features

Adjustable suspension and terrain programs. I am staying at the Biltmore this summer to take the off-road course. My wife calls it our Armageddon SUV. My 3 year old called it "Supercar" on an off-roading outing.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the water leaks from above. It doesn't leak during crossing 3-foot streams, so why should it leak from the roof during rain?