2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific LR3 model:
The good, the bad, and not so ugly.
By kwon303 on 03/02/10 21:28 PM (PST)

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this 05' model in 07' with about 19000 miles. It now has about 65,000 and I have to say overall I have been very fortunate. I've heard lots of things about reliability and to be honest and here my experience, tranny is starting to jerk a little when I slow down and speed up so I'm a little concerned but I bought the 6 year 75,000 mile warranty so we'll see whats up. I had to get the rear tailgate fixed...NOT CHEAP..latch broke and would not open. Also sunroof leaks out of overhead dome light... not covered under warranty. BUT this thing rides like its on a cloud, and handles anything off road and looks are timeless. Overall I think I got one of the decent rovers and keeping it.

This truck talks the rest walk
By lisa123482 on 10/30/08 04:46 AM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

My Land Rover Lr3 now has 100,600 miles and going strong. I just out secound set of tires on it. I have had 2 alignments and finally one tune-up. Three brake jobs and nothing else. I just had a front Rover Winch installed and a Rover Push bar. I will drive this 05 LR3 to at least 200,000 miles. It's the most comfartable truck I have ever owned. I have changed all fluids and ready for the next 100,000 miles. I will still change engine oil every 5,000 miles and then junk the truck at 200,000 miles at which time well owe me nothing. At aprox. eight years old by then well have cost me about 7,000 dollars a year for the vehicle itself. This is a joke because if I keep it 10 years the cost well even be lower!

Diamond in the Rough
By kwon303 on 04/13/08 14:41 PM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

When I decided to buy this car I knew what I was getting into. Land Rover is known for off road greatness as well as luxury, but also very poor reliability. With that being said I still bought one and don't regret it. I love this car. I bought mine used because they depreciate so much that it just was not worth it for me. Not to mention you can find this car in L.A. at a dime for a dozen at a good price. I definitely got the extended 100,000 mile warranty to hedge my bet. Also you have to test drive it and check how it get out, transmission is key. No slips and your good to go also clean interior tells you everything you need to know. Gas is not great but what do you expect. Overall Great car.

Great Vehicle when it works
By AT on 02/08/08 21:12 PM (PST)

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

We love the car when it works, great to drive, excellent interior room and function. However, we've had 4 major problems in the last 9 months along with a few minor ones.

Awesome L2V
By Ross on 07/16/07 14:45 PM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Remember when the Space Shuttle first flew? Amid the laurels there was all this noise about the cost, the electonic failures, the "need"? Well, Land Rover has established itself by re-engineering their Discovery into a 20th century "space rover" SUV. This vehicle is built for the moon terrain and it will get you there in supreme comfort. It's had its share of recalls, failures, and tweeks but when you are driving the "first of", you can't beat the construction, performance, and charm this "Rover" has. It's less than it's competitors SUVs and still out performs them. I'll continue to work through it's "bugs" while enjoying the view from up here.

Great Luxury SUV
By P K Able on 02/18/07 23:30 PM (PST)

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

It has been a great car We take it to Tahoe and Carmel plus around town driving--it is the only true 3rd seat SUV in this price range--When you need that extra cargo room the 3rd row seat is hidden and you get total use of the cargo space--try that with a Lexus, Escalade, Denali Toyota you get back sprain lifting the 3rd row seat out to get the max cargo room

Looks great in the shop!
By Ted on 01/03/07 07:36 AM (PST)

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Transmission failure, suspension failure, rear differential replaced, water in front head lamp, water leaking into cabin from sunroof, water collecting in floor boards, e-brake failure, right rear break 'shattered', leaking oil from oil filter connection, recalled gas tank, faulty coolant indicator. That's 12 issues in a little over a year of ownership, and there are other smaller issues as well. If my LR3 qualified for the Lemon Law (under 15k in mileage) I'd return it. Given previous issues with the Discovery I would not spend money on a Land Rover again. The quality is just not there. At this moment it's being fixed again, then it will be traded in, not for another LR.

Grate SUV
By Emad on 08/24/06 19:00 PM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This SUV is the best I ever had, its fun to drive, comfartable and looks nice.

Hot fun in the summertime
By ADM HALSEY on 08/10/06 06:45 AM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

So far, this vehicle is all it can be. The steering and brakes are excellent, ditto for overall handling & response at all speeds. The sweet spot for maximum MPG on the highway is around 66-67 mph - I have cruised to the tune of 22.7+ MPG. Just don't drive like a fool around town and you may inch to 16 MPG. Nothing major to take issue with, aside from petty annoyances that were more than answered on the web site - excellent training videos for all aspects of the car. I came to aquire this car through a series of fortunate events, had I paid the full $62,000 I might be singing a different tune. I have driven many vehicles since 1970, now I get it about LR. Nice car if you can afford.

21 months of experience - LR3 for sale
By LR3Dude on 07/12/06 14:37 PM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I knew I was taking a risk. My previous Disco II engine was replaced at 22K miles. I have 14K on the LR3 HSE and no problems the first 6 mo. Then everything broke loose. First was electrical – every warning light went off when the LR3 was wet or below freezing, numerous sensors replaced, suspension faults, automatic door locks would open and close setting off the alarm (removed horn fuse), wood dashboard replaced, fuel tank replaced (recall), replaced fuel tank return hose disconnected and gallons of gas poured out on my driveway when I attempted to start the LR3 (my wife and kid had to step in the gas to evacuate), ash tray broke and awaiting parts, etc.