Used 2005 Land Rover LR3 HSE SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific LR3 model:

The good, the bad, and not so ugly.
By kwon303

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this 05' model in 07' with about 19000 miles. It now has about 65,000 and I have to say overall I have been very fortunate. I've heard lots of things about reliability and to be honest and here my experience, tranny is starting to jerk a little when I slow down and speed up so I'm a little concerned but I bought the 6 year 75,000 mile warranty so we'll see whats up. I had to get the rear tailgate fixed...NOT CHEAP..latch broke and would not open. Also sunroof leaks out of overhead dome light... not covered under warranty. BUT this thing rides like its on a cloud, and handles anything off road and looks are timeless. Overall I think I got one of the decent rovers and keeping it.

Feels like you're riding on air. Love it when I drive it in the snow or on the RARE occasion on rough terrain. Exterior design....it's a born classic....interior design..luxurious..and yes, I've heard everybody say the controls are a pain....but really after a while its not a big deal.

LOTS of random rattling noises in the car that will never be discovered. Leaky front dome light after it rains due to clogged drain in sunroof......(yeah what the heck is that huh)

This truck talks the rest walk
By lisa123482

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

My Land Rover Lr3 now has 100,600 miles and going strong. I just out secound set of tires on it. I have had 2 alignments and finally one tune-up. Three brake jobs and nothing else. I just had a front Rover Winch installed and a Rover Push bar. I will drive this 05 LR3 to at least 200,000 miles. It's the most comfartable truck I have ever owned. I have changed all fluids and ready for the next 100,000 miles. I will still change engine oil every 5,000 miles and then junk the truck at 200,000 miles at which time well owe me nothing. At aprox. eight years old by then well have cost me about 7,000 dollars a year for the vehicle itself. This is a joke because if I keep it 10 years the cost well even be lower!

Everything

None

Diamond in the Rough
By kwon303

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

When I decided to buy this car I knew what I was getting into. Land Rover is known for off road greatness as well as luxury, but also very poor reliability. With that being said I still bought one and don't regret it. I love this car. I bought mine used because they depreciate so much that it just was not worth it for me. Not to mention you can find this car in L.A. at a dime for a dozen at a good price. I definitely got the extended 100,000 mile warranty to hedge my bet. Also you have to test drive it and check how it get out, transmission is key. No slips and your good to go also clean interior tells you everything you need to know. Gas is not great but what do you expect. Overall Great car.

Touch screen navigation. Interior design. Air shocks.

Not too much. I know it all comes down to luck when you buy these cars whether it's a lemon or a diamond. More powerful engine is all I could recommend.

Great Vehicle when it works
By AT

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

We love the car when it works, great to drive, excellent interior room and function. However, we've had 4 major problems in the last 9 months along with a few minor ones.

Interior seats, room, power, comfort, fun!

Improve reliability!

Awesome L2V
By Ross

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Remember when the Space Shuttle first flew? Amid the laurels there was all this noise about the cost, the electonic failures, the "need"? Well, Land Rover has established itself by re-engineering their Discovery into a 20th century "space rover" SUV. This vehicle is built for the moon terrain and it will get you there in supreme comfort. It's had its share of recalls, failures, and tweeks but when you are driving the "first of", you can't beat the construction, performance, and charm this "Rover" has. It's less than it's competitors SUVs and still out performs them. I'll continue to work through it's "bugs" while enjoying the view from up here.

Performance on and off the road. It's a M1A2 tank with a jet engine. Techie car - you can speak to the vehicle and have it do everything for you except serve my latte.

QA the components. We've gone through 2 compressors, a fuel tank (recall), and computer issues. Add weather and Internet look-up (for addresses) from the navigation system and a sun roof that opens in the second row.