2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific LR3 model:
Overall a great vehicle!
By bill4516 on 10/11/13 14:19 PM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Bought a used 2005 LR3 V8 with 75,000 miles. Now just about to turn 100,000. Overall I love this vehicle and (knock wood) have not had any mechanical issues. Besides it's amazing appearance, it was cheaper than a used Tahoe 4X4. It rides very smoothly and has just the right amount of power. The a/c ( I live in Phoenix) works great. I'm hoping that it stays reliable. It hasn't however been problem free. The glove box door broke, the little door that covers the cigarette light won't stay up ( I don't smoke), the handle for the back storage area floor board came off and my side molding has come off twice. Once while four wheeling and once in a car wash (poor design). Still love the car!

Can't find a better vehicle
By jokawood on 08/02/13 06:16 AM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I use to go through vehicles every 2 years or less. The first thing I look at when getting something new or thinking of getting something new is what compromise will I make when getting this? I have owned my 2005 LR3 SEV8 since 2007 (when gas prices were high) and so far after 6 years of ownership I have done regular maintenance, changed the bushings in the suspension, thermostat housing, water pump, had all the recalls. You would do to any other vehicle just like an LR3. But, I have NEVER had this vehicle leave me stranded on road or trail, never had an electrical glitch, or had a major issue. Best vehicle I have owned and I would have to compromise to get anything else out there.

Purchased '05 in '10 (LR3SE)
By landroverjack on 01/28/12 22:51 PM (PST)

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I absolutely love this vehicle. I've owned two 4-Runners, a Land Cruiser, an Audi and two BMW's. This LR3 is far and away my favorite vehicle. I will never own any other type of transportation. Ease of use and it's generous driving proportions are a delight to the hands and feet. I purposely sought one that did not have the navigation as they just a pain overall. Especially when my iPhone can take me anywhere.... anyhow. This vehicle has the cold weather package which I recommend if you live in the north. I've been out in the boonies with this man-car a few times and have driven it cross country twice. Did its duty and worked like a manly man car should. I dig it.

Still holding on to my LR3
By gr8song on 06/02/11 10:04 AM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

In 2007, bought my 2005 LR3 used at about 45,000 miles and also bought very expensive extended warranty from Fidelity due to its bad reputation of reliability. Ending up never needed the extended warranty. Never have had any major problems except a few minors like the rear window wiper and brake cable corrosion. The "Check Engine" light occasionally came on and was told by my dealership that I needed new battery more than a year ago. My local Interstate Battery store checked the battery out just fine, and I am still running with it. I did changed 4 brakes with brake rotors twice for the 4 years and 50,000 miles that I have owned it so far for almost $3,000 each time. That's expensive!!!

Things to Look For in a Used LR3
By OoltewahLR3 on 06/15/10 19:55 PM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this LR3 in 2008 when gas prices skyrocketed, and everyone was dumping their SUVs for better fuel economy. I bought a 2005 LR3 V8 with 30k miles for $20k with a full bumper to bumper warranty. Once I took it off- road with the dealership mechanics, I fell in love with it. I don't care that the sunroof leaks - at least not that much. If you buy one, make sure to buy it during a rain storm and drive it aggressively. That's when you'll notice a leak problem if there is one. Also - look for signs of leakage below the VIN number plate. There is a piece of paper below it (likely from the factory). If it is discolored, it is probably from one of those crummy sunroof drains.

The good, the bad, and not so ugly.
By kwon303 on 03/02/10 21:28 PM (PST)

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this 05' model in 07' with about 19000 miles. It now has about 65,000 and I have to say overall I have been very fortunate. I've heard lots of things about reliability and to be honest and here my experience, tranny is starting to jerk a little when I slow down and speed up so I'm a little concerned but I bought the 6 year 75,000 mile warranty so we'll see whats up. I had to get the rear tailgate fixed...NOT CHEAP..latch broke and would not open. Also sunroof leaks out of overhead dome light... not covered under warranty. BUT this thing rides like its on a cloud, and handles anything off road and looks are timeless. Overall I think I got one of the decent rovers and keeping it.

2005 SE7
By Brett Morey on 12/20/09 22:15 PM (PST)

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Purchased this LR3 from a private party with all service records. What a tremendous SUV. Have owned a few MDX's and am new to Land Rover but thus far very impressed with the ride quality of this vehicle. Honestly I expect that the cost of operation for this vehicle will be higher but the safety, features like Navigation and panoramic Sunroof with fold flat seats made this vehicle top on our list. Whether it's a short trip to the store or a long drive up North we're thrilled to take the LR3 on an adventure.

The Best is Yet to Come!
By Land Rover Rules! on 12/16/09 09:40 AM (PST)

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

The LR3 is, without a doubt, a vehicle without peer. Where can you find the spaciousness, On & Off road capability, safety, all weather reliability? No other competitor does it like the LR3! Purchased Certified to 6 yrs and 75,000 miles. Issues have been minor and covered by warranty. No suspension issues, ever. Tows up to 7716lbs with confidence. Handles up to 90 cu ft. of cargo or 7 full size adults! Replaced original battery at 53k! About to put third set of pads on frt.,rear o.k.! These units will operate to 300k, if you like. So, don't buy the poor reliability claims. This is primarily a misunderstanding of the vehicles unique design parameters. Purpose built, to last a lifetime!!

Heartbreaker
By kcslc on 11/02/09 07:31 AM (PST)

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I just ended an almost 18 month relationship with my LR3. At the end, I still loved the style and comfort of the vehicle. However, it's dreadful reliability finally won out. In the time I owned it I fixed a suspension air compressor ($1,200), broken glovebox door ($250), broken keyless entry ($250), and rocker panel trim that fell off bi-annually. When I traded it in it had faulty HDC control, broken pass door lock, and worst of all a bad bearing in the front axle. This was all between 47,000-62,000 miles. On the plus side: good power, decent mileage for a V8 SUV (17+/-), real off-road ability, uniqueness, just right sized for my family. I'd own one again, but ONLY under warranty!

Would love it more without problems
By Mtnplay on 10/30/09 17:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover LR3 SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought one of the first LR3's. I love the vehicle, but I have had many problems. An undiagnosed HDC failure, and air compressor went out at 58,000 miles, rocker panels fell off in the car wash, now I have a yellow engine light on. They want $1000 to fix the HDC problem, and $1000 to fix the air compressor. I am replacing the battery this week to see if that resolves the engine light problem. I absolutely love this vehicle for its looks, comfort,engine, and ability, however it could be built so much better. Would love to buy another one, but the dealer and Land Rover should have treated me better. I now have 102,000 miles on the LR3, and I plan to drive it until it dies.