Used 2008 Land Rover LR2 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific LR2 model:

Dont Buy!!
By caroline shek

2008 Land Rover LR2 SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

This is my second LR2--the first one (brand new) needed a transmission overhaul after 2 weeks. They gave me another one that has overheated twice. Just this past weekend, it overheated while I was driving and smoke began coming out of the hood. Stay away from this car! Its unsafe and unpredictable.

Reliability, safety. Make it work

1 year and going strong
By Rick

2008 Land Rover LR2 SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I have had my Tambora Flame LR2 for just over 1 year now. I have had no problems with my vehicle at all. I still get lots of positive comments about its looks. The only time my vehicle has been in the shop has been for scheduled maintenance and 1 moonroof recall. I am still impressed with all the standard equipment for the price and still very impressed with the ride and comfort for a compact SUV.

Headlights, dual moonroofs, dash layout, sound system

Needs standard roof rack and navigation system

LR-2, a great vehicle for all occasions!
By Fred

2008 Land Rover LR2 SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Car is a bargain for the money. Lots of thought went into it, lots of standard equipment. Engine is good, not overly robust, but good. Road characteristics are great and car is quiet. Seating position is very good. HVAC system is excellent. Car should go a long way to erase old stereotypes of Land Rovers. Liked the fact that Ford owned company, don't know how the new owner, TATA will favor. High-intensity headlight option package is terrific, worth the money.

Like all the standard features, like build quality, like in-line 6 Volvo engine. Like the interior materials. Like the warranty. Like the handling of the vehicle, off-road characteristics are tremendous. Like the fact that Ford put a lot of their product and engineering into the vehicle.

Needs homelink and a left foot dead pedal, needs a better latch mechanism on retractable sunscreen. Don't like the emergency driver-door entry key system or the requirement for premium fuel. Could use a "real" center storage compartment. Nav system should be a single option W/O tech package.

Love my LR2
By Nick Soo

2008 Land Rover LR2 SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I got my LR2 as a winter car last October. I was well aware of Land Rover's past reliability problems. I have to say that I love my LR2. Some claim it has poor performance for a luxury SUV, but I think it does fine. I have a G35 coupe as well, and I don't think the LR2 is slow for an SUV, and I don't expect it to be a race car. Overall, it's a great ride for someone who wants a very comfortable plush smaller SUV with eye-catching style and lots of technological bells and whistles without paying a fortune. If you want a full-size SUV, it'll disappoint. If you want a car-like SUV, probably not for you. But if you want an SUV for winter driving and occasional trips, the LR2 rocks

I absolutely love the puddle lights that illuminate under the mirrors when you unlock the car. My other favorites have to be the bluetooth, which works great with my Verizon Moto RAZR, the automatic wipers and headlights, and the phenominal sound system. The dual sunroofs are nice too

I only have one complaint: fuel economy. It's not setting any records here. I will admit, for a mid/small SUV, it is quite heavy, and I'm sure that contributes to the low MPG.

From an X5 to LR2
By horsedoctor

2008 Land Rover LR2 SUV HSE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Coming from an 03 BMW X5 makes it difficult to give this vehicle perfect marks in any departement. But a new X5 with similar options was well over 50K - my loaded LR2 was purchased for under 35K and as usual in life: you often get what you pay for. The layout and the interior design gets high marks-as well as comfortable seats and nice features such as satellite radio, heated windshield and seats, sport drive feature, security of full time all wheel drive - all while approaching 24mpg hwy and I'm getting 19mpg combined. The storage areas are a bit lacking and I would have rather had a nice center armrest with more storage below it than the drop down ones. Overall this is a great SUV.

Dual sunroof, exterior design - does not look like every other suv out there, heated windshield (praying for no rock chips), stereo system, gas mileage, xenon headlights, sport drive.

More interior storage space, homelink, a bit better fit and finish (but again I'm coming from an X5) and the steering needs to be addressed. Oversteer is somewhat bothersome. Otherwise if you are looking for a compact SUV under 35K put it the LR2 on your list.