Used 2008 Land Rover LR2 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific LR2 model:

Worst Car Ever
By unhappy customer

2008 Land Rover LR2 SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

This is the worst care I have ever had. Land Rover is buying it back as a lemon. The car constantly cuts out while driving, the gas gage constantly tells me I have no gas even when the tank is full and I have taken the key out of the ignition and the car stays on and tells me the key is still in the ignition. I have had nothing but problems, it has been in the shop more than at my home and the guys at Enterprise are my new best friends. I would never, ever buy another Land/Range Rover again, or for that matter even take one if someone gave one to me.

Fell in love with Rimini Red
By Love the LR2 HSE

2008 Land Rover LR2 SUV HSE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Looked for a smaller SUV to replace Grand Crapokee Overland and test drove lots of others. Loved the LR2 and bought it. Rimini red/Alpaca is beautiful and the 19" wheels are striking and not tacky. Kudos to LR for this excellent midsize SUV. Drives like a sports car. Return LR/RR customer.

Favorite Features

Looks like a mini RR Sport Supercharged! Interior comfort is excellent with familiar controls and layout like our LR3. Love the interior and exterior.

Suggested Improvements

None really! Supercharged model, Hybrid, Diesel model engines lik the UK.

Quality not so good
By Mary

2008 Land Rover LR2 SUV HSE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I am very unhappy with the quality of my SR2. The exterior paint is very thin, the drivers side seat has torn, the performance is horrible, the only good thing is the fuel economy. I have never been this unhappy with a vehicle in my life, I paid approx. $39,000 in Aug. of 2007. I was recently offered $25,000 trade in from the same dealership I paid $39,000 only a year ago. Wow! I have to take a $14,000 loss on this vehicle. I am so unhappy with this vehicle I am going to take the $14,000 loss just to get out of it, however I will never ever purchase another Land Rover or Range Rover ever!

Favorite Features

The exterior is cute and the navigation system is good.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality, paint, seat covers. Performance, etc needs improvement.

I love my LR2
By Jen in 5280

2008 Land Rover LR2 SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I've had my LR2 16 months now. I love it. It has never let me down. I have had a few minor problems that the dealer was happy to fix. They even fixed the minorist of complaints. I asked them to readjust my windshield wiper spray and my headlights. The car is excellent in the mountains, excellent in the snow and an excellent daily driver. I have great confidence in my Rover and wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere.

Favorite Features

Love the headlights, the sound system is great (although I love more bass), I love the height of the seats. I feel like I can see where I'm going. Oh, and the brakes really work. I bought the dog gate and there's a surprising amount of room back there for two big dogs.

Suggested Improvements

Since the brakes are huge, I hate the break dust. Perhaps the newer wheels have a better finish. Interior storage on my early model was lacking and they didnt install a left foot rest so the carpet gets dirty.

2.2 DIESEL LR2 but not in the USA
By Mr. B

2008 Land Rover LR2 SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

My wife was transfered for temporary assignment in England last year and was provided a car expense fund. She chose a "DIESEL" LR2 (Freelander 2) that is available everywhere in the world except the USA. It is a 2.2 liter common rail, turbo charged unit with an automatic transmission. On a number of trips we took into mainland Europe, we averaged low to mid 30 MPG on the highway and low 20 MPG in city driving. The build quality was excellent and durability was bullet- proof. And the MPG was a shocker! Note: Fuel prices in Europe are considerably higher. She got a great small/mid-sized SUV with all the creature comforts - loaded - for significantly less money compared to BMW or Mercedes.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, command seating especially for the driver. Every bit was top-notch. Bullet-proof operation. GREAT gas mileage for the diesel! (HELLO Land Rover USA - If you read this your missing the boat on this great little diesel engine in the States). HID lighting and Sat-Nav for Europe was superb.

Suggested Improvements

If Land Rover would bring the LR2 with a diesel option to the USA (known as the Freelander 2 everywhere else), they would corner the market. Hopefully, Tata Motors will look at providing this as an option in North America. As of this, I will probably purchase a used Mercedes Benz M class 320 CDI.