2008 Land Rover LR2 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific LR2 model:
Reliability is the problem
By BAD choice ;LR2 on 10/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Land Rover LR2 SUV HSE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Once i saw this car i loved the exterior and interior and lots of extras it came with. So i dropped my first choice back then which was the vw Touareg, as i had a concern about the vw reliability. Unfortunately i was totally wrong cause it i never suffered with a car like this LR2, every now and then it should be towed to the dealer for electrical problems, that actually there is no real solution for them. Engine fault and transmission fault are keeping flashing in your face! tail gate got stuck more than once. What a great loss i had spent a fortune to own this LR2 and i cannot depend for long journeys in it.

Best Vehicle owned
By Trevoro47 on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Land Rover LR2 SUV HSE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I work out of town for a living and average around 40,000km a yr on my vehicles, the Land Rover LR2 has been the best vehicle I have owned and I have owned everything from trucks to cars to vans and I wouldn't drive anything other than my Land rover. admittedly the cargo space is a little tight but aside from that this vehicle is solid! I live in Canada and going through the 7 months of Canadian winters you need a reliable vehicle. Aside from the schedule maintenance I haven't had a single issue with it, even after putting 30000 km on it in 9 months the engine still purrs like a kitten. Love it thanks for the dependability Land Rover. Good job!

2008 LR2 HSE
By LTC on 07/27/10 08:56 AM (PDT)

2008 Land Rover LR2 SUV HSE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned it for just under 2 yrs. All service free and one quick recall item while in for service. Average 20 MPG with much stronger V6 than previous Freelander. It handled the record DC snowstorm with ease.

Totally disappointed
By Totally disappointed on 04/05/10 22:23 PM (PDT)

2008 Land Rover LR2 SUV HSE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I loved the looks of the SUV. But the maintenance is terrible. New brakes and Rotors at 22,000? Never before in a vehicle Have I had this happen and then New tires needed at 28,000. I was Told that I got the average life out of brakes and Max out of Tires. I had problems with air noise and with the front end steering from day one. I have traded car for BMW that has showed me a Rover is not the way to GO. Very disappointed in the up-keep of this SUV. Glad to no longer be an owner of this SUV.

Pleasantly Surprised
By Curt N. on 12/29/09 11:20 AM (PST)

2008 Land Rover LR2 SUV HSE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I just purchased a used 2008 LR2 HSE with 18K miles in October 2009 and have been extremely happy with the purchase. Had concerns about purchasing an LR based upon reports of mechanical and reliability issues, but after speaking to LR owners and mechanics, it appears the newer models have come a long way. Owner loyalty appears to be solid. Positives: handles great, comfortable to drive, great front seats, gas mileage (18- 24), Engine Power, Alpine Stereo, and Bluetooth Technology. Complaints: Need 1-3 feet of more rear cargo space to help with storage, and rear seating space to allow for rear seats to recline for passenger comfort. No roof racks and no mud flaps came with my HSE model.

Good choice
By LROwner on 11/05/09 05:18 AM (PST)

2008 Land Rover LR2 SUV HSE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

New owner of a "new" (never registered) 2008 HSE. Had been shopping for a replacement AWD vehicle for a couple months, test drove the ones I thought would fit my needs (I ski, camp, fish, and commute). I tried Tiguan, Forester, Patriot, GLK350, etc... nothing was "the" vehicle. I happened to drive past a LR dealer near work and the lightbuld went on. Test drove it and knew it was the one. Great style, great off road ability, gas mileage I can live with. Very surprised by the agility of the vehicle on paved roads. If the first month is an indicator this should be a good and long relationship.

Sorry I did not buy another BMW
By Chris on 03/12/09 13:42 PM (PDT)

2008 Land Rover LR2 SUV HSE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

My BMW X5 was coming off of lease and I decided to be practical and buy an LR2 - a 2008 "leftover". I previously owned a Discovery and a Range Rover (no problems with these). After 650 miles, the LR2 started to burn oil. The dealer's shop said they could not find the problem. After 1700 miles it started to burn oil again. The car is in the shop for a week as they take the engine apart to find out why it's burning oil. Not happy with this lemon. My BMW has 56000 (3 years old) and NO problems ever. I have opened a case with LR and have demanded they take the car back. So much for being practical!

Worst Car I Ever Bought
By Kerstin on 01/16/09 11:06 AM (PST)

2008 Land Rover LR2 SUV HSE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

This is the 2nd Land Rover I've purchased. I had a 2006 LR3 and should have known better but figured the 2nd one couldn't be as bad as the first one. Wrong! The car was beautiful, orange, black leather, loaded. It was in for repairs more than I had it. I had some serious electrical issues that the dealer was unable to diagnose. Once the car stalled at a traffic light and I had to coast out of a major intersection. I only kept the car 6 months. It was not reliable and I worried constantly about being stranded in it. Never knew if it would start up or die on me. Only got 18mpg! (when it was running!)

Fell in love with Rimini Red
By Love the LR2 HSE on 10/18/08 09:40 AM (PDT)

2008 Land Rover LR2 SUV HSE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Looked for a smaller SUV to replace Grand Crapokee Overland and test drove lots of others. Loved the LR2 and bought it. Rimini red/Alpaca is beautiful and the 19" wheels are striking and not tacky. Kudos to LR for this excellent midsize SUV. Drives like a sports car. Return LR/RR customer.

Quality not so good
By Mary on 09/14/08 07:44 AM (PDT)

2008 Land Rover LR2 SUV HSE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I am very unhappy with the quality of my SR2. The exterior paint is very thin, the drivers side seat has torn, the performance is horrible, the only good thing is the fuel economy. I have never been this unhappy with a vehicle in my life, I paid approx. $39,000 in Aug. of 2007. I was recently offered $25,000 trade in from the same dealership I paid $39,000 only a year ago. Wow! I have to take a $14,000 loss on this vehicle. I am so unhappy with this vehicle I am going to take the $14,000 loss just to get out of it, however I will never ever purchase another Land Rover or Range Rover ever!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.