Used 2008 Land Rover LR2 SUV Consumer Reviews - 117 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Land Rover LR2 SUV

View reviews for a specific LR2 model:

I really like mine!
By Erik Rooney

2008 Land Rover LR2 SUV HSE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I've owned my LR2 for just a couple of weeks. I'm really impressed with the overall quality and craftsmanship. I do my own maintenance so I can't say the repair cost is out of range. I would recommend this to a family member. I'm sure there are better SUV's, but if you don't want to blend into the crowd, I recommend the Land Rover product.

Fantastic SUV for City or Mountains
By Bill H

2008 Land Rover LR2 SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Find a good mechanic. Land Rover parts are pricey. But otherwise, this is an awesome vehicle that looks great, drives great, handles about anything you throw at it... from snowy mountain trails to looking good when handing the keys to a valet!

My First Little Landie!!!
By kcheree

2008 Land Rover LR2 SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

What can I say, I have driven' a lot of trucks, fire trucks, suvs, cars, sports cars, customs, and off road vehicles. I Love this LR2. I am short so as I love a lifted truck I no longer love to climb in or out of any vehicle. This, I just slide in and out with no trouble. Every control is within comfortable reach. Living in Minnesota and as cold as it gets here I was thinking of installing an automatic start to this beauty. I found it heats up so fast I shouldn't even bother, especially with the cold climate package. It picks up speed right away, highway driving is a breeze with lane changing, merging, she gets along great with all weather driving on the hwy too! The Alpine sound system is so clear I often thought I was hearing other noises, nope, was so crisp I never noticed all the sound in a piece of music in another vehicle. Best purchase of this year. Ok, for the tough love, if it is not taken care of properly, it will cost more than other domestic suvs/trucks but with all of the amazing features and feel, to me it is worth it. I will be looking for another when it is time.

Some good, some bad
By Ellie Higginbotto

2008 Land Rover LR2 SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Bought in 2012 with 94,000 miles. Currently at 120,000.
The Good- This car is my personal listening room; the sound system is incredible, one of the best I've ever heard in a car. I have the cold weather package and the seats warm up so fast and the defroster a for the windshield and rear are quick as well. Off road, this car is a beast! Even without mudding tires I have never had a moments hesitation, from knee deep mud to deep snow to off roaring on the side of a mountain. It's so comfortable and the way it handles has me weary to ever let the car go. The double sun roofs bring tons of natural light into the car and the visibility is excellent. I turn heads when I drive around town. Tons of small perks as well. I really do love this car. Now,
The Bad-EXPENSIVE to have worked on. Most mechanics will not work on them as the software required is incredibly expensive for them to purchase. Since I bought the car I have had to replace- Brakes, rotors ($800), new key fob ($425), gear shift spring broken ($800), fob insert detector ($600), rear ball joints ($1200). Also, the spring is broken in my front right; sheared right in half. I'm driving with it now and it's fine: no sounds or decreased performance, but I'm looking at $2200 plus to have it (and the other front) replaced. Yow. That's a lot in 30,000 miles in my experience. Resale is rough on them because of the cost to fix. I love how this car drives and I can haul kayaks, SUPs, my dog, etc.. Without problems. I want to keep fixing it forever, but I will eventually have to make a smart fiscal decision. Oh, and for the gas haters--I get about 17 city and 23-24 highway. Not bad, considering the car weighs 2 tons. You will win if you are in an accident. That alone makes me feel so safe, and if you've ever been in a bad car wreck you know how important it is to feel safe afterwards.

LOVE MY LR2 - Gonna keep beyond 150K Miles
By MrNapa

2008 Land Rover LR2 SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Land Rover reliability almost kept me from purchasing this vehicle. I'm glad that I test drove my LR2 and looked at more than one Web site to decide how much trouble it was going to be. Since purchasing, in just under 1 year, I have have shelled out close to $5K on Major Services, New Tires, New Brakes and Rotors (4), New Key FOBS (2), and a fuel sensor repair; I don't think that's outrageous. I spent almost as much on my 2008 Honda Pilot that my LR2 replaced.

Anyway, I love everything about this vehicle. How it handles. How it sounds. How it drives on-road; and off-road. How it looks. The one thing that is not better than my old Pilot is the cargo space, however, the comparatively narrow and short wheel-base makes up for it when I opt to do some light off-roading. And I can't wait to drive it in snow, I bet it will be great. Driving in slick conditions has been such a treat. I describe it as feeling as though I am riding on the back of a cat that uses retractable claws whenever it needs more traction. It is amazing.

I'm keeping it as long as I can or until I am able to buy a used Rang Rover Sport. Normally I would start looking for a vehicle with just under 100K miles on it as soon as my vehicle neared 150K miles.. That's what I did when I went from my 1996 Passat GLX to 2000 Honda CR-V to 2005 Honda Pilot to 2008 Land Rover LR2. I am not looking for a replacement at 150K miles though, not this time. I'm gonna keep it as long as I can ... besides the resell value is BAD!