Used 2008 Land Rover LR2 HSE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific LR2 model:

Reliability is the problem
By BAD choice ;LR2

2008 Land Rover LR2 HSE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Once i saw this car i loved the exterior and interior and lots of extras it came with. So i dropped my first choice back then which was the vw Touareg, as i had a concern about the vw reliability. Unfortunately i was totally wrong cause it i never suffered with a car like this LR2, every now and then it should be towed to the dealer for electrical problems, that actually there is no real solution for them. Engine fault and transmission fault are keeping flashing in your face! tail gate got stuck more than once. What a great loss i had spent a fortune to own this LR2 and i cannot depend for long journeys in it.

Favorite Features

options like bluetooth, audio system/ navigation and cruise control easy to use.

Suggested Improvements

handling is like a truck and not an SUV, electrical faults to be improved and Fuel economy is very LOW

Best Vehicle owned
By Trevoro47

2008 Land Rover LR2 HSE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I work out of town for a living and average around 40,000km a yr on my vehicles, the Land Rover LR2 has been the best vehicle I have owned and I have owned everything from trucks to cars to vans and I wouldn't drive anything other than my Land rover. admittedly the cargo space is a little tight but aside from that this vehicle is solid! I live in Canada and going through the 7 months of Canadian winters you need a reliable vehicle. Aside from the schedule maintenance I haven't had a single issue with it, even after putting 30000 km on it in 9 months the engine still purrs like a kitten. Love it thanks for the dependability Land Rover. Good job!

Favorite Features

Comfortable drive, stylish looks, quick access features on steering wheel, powerful engine for weight.

Suggested Improvements

power tailgate

2008 LR2 HSE
By LTC

2008 Land Rover LR2 HSE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned it for just under 2 yrs. All service free and one quick recall item while in for service. Average 20 MPG with much stronger V6 than previous Freelander. It handled the record DC snowstorm with ease.

Favorite Features

Offroad ability and traction in snow. Stereo system and bluetooth is great.

Suggested Improvements

Power lift gate

Totally disappointed
By Totally disappointed

2008 Land Rover LR2 HSE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I loved the looks of the SUV. But the maintenance is terrible. New brakes and Rotors at 22,000? Never before in a vehicle Have I had this happen and then New tires needed at 28,000. I was Told that I got the average life out of brakes and Max out of Tires. I had problems with air noise and with the front end steering from day one. I have traded car for BMW that has showed me a Rover is not the way to GO. Very disappointed in the up-keep of this SUV. Glad to no longer be an owner of this SUV.

Favorite Features

The new design is GREAT. The new design is great looking. But the quality of the car has gone down SO Much!

Suggested Improvements

Put brakes that will last longer than 20,000 miles (I was told that he weight is the cause for the early replacement of the brakes. Also put tires on the car that will last longer than 25,000 miles. The overall maintenance of the vehicle makes the car not a wise car to own.

Pleasantly Surprised
By Curt N.

2008 Land Rover LR2 HSE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I just purchased a used 2008 LR2 HSE with 18K miles in October 2009 and have been extremely happy with the purchase. Had concerns about purchasing an LR based upon reports of mechanical and reliability issues, but after speaking to LR owners and mechanics, it appears the newer models have come a long way. Owner loyalty appears to be solid. Positives: handles great, comfortable to drive, great front seats, gas mileage (18- 24), Engine Power, Alpine Stereo, and Bluetooth Technology. Complaints: Need 1-3 feet of more rear cargo space to help with storage, and rear seating space to allow for rear seats to recline for passenger comfort. No roof racks and no mud flaps came with my HSE model.

Favorite Features

Styling, Engine Power, Front Seats, Alpine Stereo, Gas Mileage, Bluetooth Technology, Visibility, AWD Features, and 6 Speed Transmission Options (auto- manual), Sun Roof with wind deflection and sun block netting....very nice. Heated Windshield and Heated Seats

Suggested Improvements

More Cargo Space (1-3 feet), More Rear Seating Leg Room, Rear Seat Recline Options to help with passenger comfort, Change the Key-Ignition Feature....too many things can go wrong with the auto-key insert and push button start. My HSE model came with no roof racks or mud flaps. Should be standard....