2005 Land Rover Freelander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:
Disappointed Buyer
By Sadly Disappointed on 05/24/05 18:55 PM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I absolutely love the look of my Freelander inside and out. However, I am disappointed at the ergonomics. I am only 5'5" and I constantly hit my head getting in and out of the vehicle. Also, in order to reach the pedals I have to sit so far forward that I cannot use the armrest and the sunroof ends up behind me. Also, if I put the sunvisor down I can't see out the front windshield. I have only had my Freelander since January 29th but I am looking at trading it in for something else. This is very frustrating because I spent months researching vehicles but apparently not long enough to get something good!

Bad Dic Brakes
By Harry Schneider on 05/23/05 13:18 PM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

The Freelander has great visibility and layout. Very tall people cannot get into the cabin easily. Overtaking other vehicles is hard. Vehicle engine feels like a Diesel. Fuel consumption for the weight and slow speed is very high. However its weakest component are the brakes. Dealer says 20000km/14000miles is the norm.Then you have to replace not only the discs but also rotors.Heater and a/c very marginal !

Worst Car I've Ever Leased.
By baradlee on 04/10/05 00:21 AM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This SUV is designed wrong, assembled wrong and just is not worth the money. And to top if off, the dealership mechanics are unskilled ans shoddy AND Land Rover could care less. 3 Sets of front brake pads & 2 sets of rotors, by 16,000 miles. Complete transmission failure(flatbed) at 26,000 miles. Thermostat leaked and was replaced at 27,000 miles. Door hinges broke, windows fell out their tracks, cupholders broke, sunroof broke. The A/C is a noisy, worthless piece of junk. Fuel Economy 13 city, 17 Hwy NO LIE! And this thing is a DOG! Can't wait to be rid of the darn thing.

unsafe and undriveable
By Christina Sibul on 03/26/05 20:20 PM (PST)

2005 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This has been a completely unreliable car. It has broken down on every long trip, and broken down in usual city driving. Our transmission has gone, the brakes, and assorted other devastating electrical and other problems. It's simply unsafe to drive.

So Far
By Brenda on 02/28/05 19:14 PM (PST)

2005 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

My New 2005 Freelander, so far, has not given me any problems. It's spacious for a 5'2", 110 lbs person and rides like a car. I drive dirt-rocky roads everyday with weather conditions of snow, rain, and mud. This SUV is the Bomb! It handled the conditions with ease and makes me feel confident, so far. Highly recommend if you live where I live and drive where I drive (So. California).

owner
By S Tidline on 02/16/05 22:39 PM (PST)

2005 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have a 2003 Freelander. I love the vehicle. I had a Discovery and sold it because it was too big and cost too much to maintain. The Freelander drives very smooth. It is comfortable and really nice. The other great thing about this car vs. the DIscovery is is use 87 grade unleaded gas! I love the car and hope to only upgrade to a later model one day!

My second Freelander
By Brocktoon on 02/15/05 19:26 PM (PST)

2005 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I traded my 2003 Freelander in on a new 2005 last month. Going with the Freelanders is the best decision I ever made when it comes to cars. Why are there so many freelander complainers? Who knows, but it's the best selling truck in Europe, and they can't be all wrong. The 2005 is a definite improvement over the '03 in terms of looks and comfort. Don't listen to people who say this is not a capable car, I had the '03 in mud up to the doorhandles and we made it out fine. Try that in any other SUV for the price. If you are considering purchase, yes they do require some "care and feeding", but check out some web enthusiast sites first and get the real story.

Overall a satisfying vehicle
By California buyer on 02/13/05 19:16 PM (PST)

2005 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love my Freelander for its interior styling and reliability. It does have some quirks, such as the brakes make a subtle noise when I come to a stop but I am getting that checked out. Otherwise, I am very satisfied with my car. It's fun to drive and I feel safe in it.

recent freelander owner
By Suzanne on 01/30/05 14:54 PM (PST)

2005 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my car 3 weeks ago and I love it. The rides very smoothly...doesn't have that boxy feel that larger suv's have. I probably should do this review again later since I have only had my new freelander for a short time. Just got through my first snow storm and it drove amazing ease throught the snow. If you are a very tall person I would try getting in and out of it several times, you might find it difficult.

Brakes,rough shift, poor low speed drive
By n. butler on 01/15/05 07:29 AM (PST)

2005 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

From day 1, the brakes have groaned, squealed and gushed. A soft pedal feel. The car lurches into gear at low speeds and the feel is that of sliding into gear with a jerk. I am always concious of it. The dealership says it is the feel of this car. It gives me cause for concern and is not a comfortable drive. I am very unhappy with these conditions.