2005 Land Rover Freelander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:
Freelander 2005
By lakewood on 03/15/06 13:59 PM (PST)

2005 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I goofed or did I? I did not test drive the car I took home. I expected regardless of color, they would all work the same. This is idealistic. My transmission had an intermittent problem. Actually, I did not goof. The factory is repsonsible, not me, to deliver a working product. Could a 5 mile test drive identify something...maybe. For the average person, it would not.

Great Drive, Very English Car
By jlg on 11/14/05 20:47 PM (PST)

2005 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Great driving smaller SUV. Learn about english cars before buying very quirky and odd at times. It is different and a land rover. But you could probably buy something more pratical, but why? If you want something to drive without attention don't buy this one. Overall I like it but not without issue with some things. The greast thing it has is a heated Windshield. Everything else I wonder who designed it, so I could rough them up. It is a neat car though.For the right person.

BIG joke---on me
By LOSER on 10/30/05 21:41 PM (PST)

2005 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

We have had the car for a year, and we have taken it in on 7 occasions, most of the things were repeats, squealing brakes, which are apparently normal! Sometimes sticky and sometimes mushy. The traction control turns itself on and off at will. The rear door won't unlock, the window goes down at will- pretty much all things electric don't work. The seatbelts don't work, and the airbag didn't deploy in a wreck. Also the speakers sound like they are blown and always have. The dealer could care less, the mechanics come up with completely assinine excuses for things- when they aren't being extraordinarily rude-don't expect help from the big co. either-nobody will help

Don't even consider this vehicle
By disappointed on 10/26/05 15:42 PM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I owned a 2003 Freelander and had to get rid of it. At 65K The head Gasket went. It was to Land Rover multiple times and they could NOT diagnose it. I had to personally tell them that the coolant was going into the oil because I took an oil sample. After they diagnosed the head gasket , they would not garantee the repair. The total for the repair was $2800. It ate brakes and rotors , I had electrical probs including the radio cutting out when it rained. I thought Land Rover was reputable and they would sell a reliable vehicle. I was wrong. I can go on and on . . .buying this vehicle was a MAJOR mistake.

Run - Run Far Away
By Nichol on 07/20/05 20:21 PM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Expensive Lemon City - Major electrical issues with engine. Left me stranded 2x for over 6 hrs waiting for LR road side assistance. Radio broke 2x, brakes squeal like pigs, air conditioner poured water on front passengers' feet and spit water thru vents. Engine still smells like it is burning despite mechanics check 2x. Everyone hits head getting into car including 5'0" ft sister. Stabilizing bar feels off - heard others had problems here. Rear tailgate window drops when car is off, key out & no one is near. Took in 4 repair & mechanics didn't reinstall my rear door lock - took 2 wks for LR 2 fix it. They acted like it was my fault. Not nearly enough luggage space - 2 suitcases MAX.

Fun 4x4
By Bill Powell on 06/26/05 14:33 PM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I owned a Land Rover Discovery before the Freelander. I find the Freelander to be very capable, comfortable and it does all I ask of it. I like the distinctive exterior style. Compared to the "thirsty" Discovery which required premium gas, the Freelander is economical as it gets better mileage and uses regular grade gas. I am very happy with my Freelander after owning it for 15 months and 14,000 miles. Frankly, it fits my needs much better than the Discovery did and is far more reliable. In short, the Freelander is a true Land Rover without some of the shortcomings of the bigger models.

Happy So Far!!!
By Sharon on 06/24/05 15:01 PM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am having so much fun with this car! The interior is smaller than what I am used to (I have owned several SUV's in the past). But it's just me so I don't need much room! It has plenty for what I need! I have had no problems whatsoever and am loving driving this car! I have read all about brake problems, transmission, etc. I think every type of car has it's lemons that role off the line every once in awhile! Mine is not one and I am happy to see all of the good and realistic reviews on this vehicle!

It's a love/hate thing.
By JustinTimeDC on 06/14/05 14:09 PM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I did a ton of research and came up with this car because it is FUN! The t-roof pops off, hard top comes off, and you are out in the sun. Seating is excellent, I have a bad back and the support is the best! You can wipe down the entire inside with water or windex or whatever...keeping it clean is a snap. It looks fun, and no one has ever seen one before, so it gets a lot of attention. For a single person like me, it has tons of room for everything I need. I am a nurse and have to get to work no matter what the weather, and it gets through anything nature dishes out. I have had a computer/software problem but the dealership works with me and gives me loaners when needed.

Know what you are buying
By steve on 06/10/05 16:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I owned luxury cars before I purchased my SE3. I knew that I was getting a 4x4 first and luxury wasn't going to be there. What I found is that it is fun to drive, reliable and a real head turner. If you buy it knowing what you are getting then you probably won't be disappointed. If you buy a freelander cause it looks pretty and you want a "luxury" suv, then you will be disappointed.

Superior versatility
By Jeff Makowski on 06/10/05 12:43 PM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I'd been looking for a compromise between a full-sized SUV, for off- roading and poor weather safety, and a sedan, for better milage and handling. The Freelander hasn't disappointed. Very smooth ride, with little to no body roll, great visibility, superior snow/mud/muck handling, and I'm still getting relatively decent milage (18-20 mpg). The styling certainly sets it apart from most other vehicles in it's class. Very unique interior material (Technical Fabric), with excellent seat support and comfort. Plus, the hardtop is easily removable, looking forward to adding many summer driving miles. The Freelander is the compromise that doesn't feel like one.