2005 Land Rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:
Owned 6 years, traded for a Hyundai
By capecodrondo on 01/17/14 19:24 PM (PST)

2005 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my Freelander brand new in 2005. I loved the handling and ride but over the years found the vehicle to be gas-hungry, under-powered and of poor build quality. Constant electrical problems including a repeated problem with windshield wiper switches. After having driven Jeeps for many years I was surprised to get stuck in the Freelander during snowstorms that the Jeeps handled well. I traded for a Hyundai Veracruz two years ago and found it a much more reliable vehicle. The Veracruz (now a long body Santa Fe) is better in the snow than my Rover was and is an all around more civilized vehicle.

poor choice
By none61 on 07/04/13 09:25 AM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased from dealer with 28K miles. Spends most of it's time in the shop. Was told the engine needs to be replaced at 55K miles. Land Rover mechanic says its junk.

Wow!
By miaheartless on 02/18/12 12:54 PM (PST)

2005 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love my Freelander... Great for winter weather, mountain terrain driving. Geared low, handles amazing in snow and icy conditions. The only repairs other than normal wear for me have been two sensors. The most expensive repair costed less at a small shop, Walt's in Gig Harbor, WA than the regular service at Land Rover and it was for the thermostat control sensor (going on memory for title of part). On the other hand, not the car you want for consistant high miles, highway driving. Driving like I have to now is a waste of this vehicle. I've taken it through some scary bad weather including road closures and that's where it excels!

"It's Still in the Shop"
By What next? on 10/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

At the beginning of this year, my 2005 Freelander with less than 50,000 miles started overheating. They replaced head gasket #4. They had the car for 2 weeks. Then, less than 2 months later, it lost power going up hills, they replaced head gasket #2 (they had the car another 2 weeks). Then, a month after that, the radio stayed on when I turned the car off. They changed out some electrical thing, (they had the car for a week). Approximately 1 month later the car was overheating again, it was head gasket #1. They decided to replace the engine (they had the car 5 weeks). Last week my new engine was leaking oil, faulty oil gasket in the new engine. (They had the car 1 week). Craziness..

Got Gotten!
By Bubbles on 05/26/10 19:31 PM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover Freelander SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the first car I financed in order to buy this car last minute, I had to scramble to get it. Within the same month of buying it, I had 2 take it back to the dealership because the car wouldn't start, they fixed it then couple of weeks later the temp gauge started lighting up. They looked at it 2x, first stating coolant level down, then claiming the cap containing coolant needed to be replaced, now after 2 wks temp gauge still light red. I then took it to Land Rover dealer and they also recommended engine replacement to the tune of $10k. I was shocked, depressed, and felt like someone just really took advantage of me. I GOT GOTTEN!!

Love My Freelander
By Love It on 11/03/09 20:52 PM (PST)

2005 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I read the reviews and bought mine anyway. It had high miles but looked brand new. I love it! It is fun to drive, looks great, and mine really scoots. Gas mileage is way better highway where I get 22-24 mph. In the city I only get about 17. What vehicle is ever cheap to repair? If you maintain well, the vehicle will last. I don't take mine to a dealer, I use Columbia Rovers. They know their stuff.

Possibly the worst vehicle ever
By NJB on 10/26/09 11:20 AM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am writing this review in hopes of deterring and potential buyers from purchasing one of these horrid little automobiles. I do not own one; I am a career mechanic, and we contract with a used car lot to repair their vehicles. They have brought in a number of these Freelanders with mileage ranging from 30k to 80k, and not one of them has been saleable without at least $1k in repairs. Aside from being under powered, lazy/sloppy handling, and interior ergonomics worse than the old Ford Festiva, these things have more mechanical and electrical problems than any other model from any manufacturer. VERY expensive parts and high labor costs. Absolute JUNK!

Junk
By bbealko on 07/08/09 19:23 PM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle is junk. It has been a headache for my family. The fuel pump was recalled and still doesn't work properly. Lights on the dashboard come on and go off randomly. My back passenger windows will not go down. Both broke on the the same day. Everything is so expensive to get fixed on this car. Would not recommend this vehicle to anyone.

Junk
By shamfam on 12/09/08 16:26 PM (PST)

2005 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

My husband and I have had our Freelander for almost 4 years. Two weeks after we got it, it stalled leaving me and my then 1 year old stranded. That was the first engine problem. Then we had three recalls, child safety lock on passenger side door, brake light and gas cap. We have had a ticking noise for over a year and for some reason the dealership mechanics can't seem to find out what it is. Mind you this was before the warranty was up. Now after the warranty has expired, they tell us we need a new engine! We've had numerous problems! The leaking of coolant that has now leaked into the engine oil, the resevoir has been replaced among many many other things. This car is nothing but junk

My nightmare is over
By That was a nightmare on 09/15/08 19:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Here is what you need to know about the Freelander. It is different from all other Land Rovers and you can't get it serviced anywhere but the dealership. Shops that advertised they worked on Land Rover would not work on my Freelander. They don't make engines for them anymore. It cost me $400 to get a window fixed that was stuck down. I traded it in for $7,000, bought a Hyundai, and literally cried with relief to be done with this vehicle. Land Rover to Hyundai and never been happier. Please do not purchase this vehicle. No power, terrible gas mileage, terrible and expensive service. Be smarter than I was.

1 2 3 4 5 next »