2005 Land Rover Freelander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:
Got Gotten!
By Bubbles on 05/26/10 19:31 PM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the first car I financed in order to buy this car last minute, I had to scramble to get it. Within the same month of buying it, I had 2 take it back to the dealership because the car wouldn't start, they fixed it then couple of weeks later the temp gauge started lighting up. They looked at it 2x, first stating coolant level down, then claiming the cap containing coolant needed to be replaced, now after 2 wks temp gauge still light red. I then took it to Land Rover dealer and they also recommended engine replacement to the tune of $10k. I was shocked, depressed, and felt like someone just really took advantage of me. I GOT GOTTEN!!

Finally! An SE3!
By SE3 on 01/03/08 15:12 PM (PST)

2005 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

The reason why I purchased this 2 door convertible SUV was because I didn’t need a large vehicle since it’s just me and I wanted something that you don't see everyday. For the year 2005, they only produced 234 of these SE3 Freelanders! I also got this one because it had 1600 miles and an extended warranty till 2012. The cool thing is that the back can be removed and the sunroof glass panels can come off entirely for a really open air feeling. It is true that a Jeep Wrangler can become more open air than the SE3 but they are a dime a dozen. It looks very sporty and it gets lots of stares. It even goes off road fairly well although it is restricted on certain terrain due to no low range gear.

Great Drive, Very English Car
By jlg on 11/14/05 20:47 PM (PST)

2005 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Great driving smaller SUV. Learn about english cars before buying very quirky and odd at times. It is different and a land rover. But you could probably buy something more pratical, but why? If you want something to drive without attention don't buy this one. Overall I like it but not without issue with some things. The greast thing it has is a heated Windshield. Everything else I wonder who designed it, so I could rough them up. It is a neat car though.For the right person.

BIG joke---on me
By LOSER on 10/30/05 21:41 PM (PST)

2005 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

We have had the car for a year, and we have taken it in on 7 occasions, most of the things were repeats, squealing brakes, which are apparently normal! Sometimes sticky and sometimes mushy. The traction control turns itself on and off at will. The rear door won't unlock, the window goes down at will- pretty much all things electric don't work. The seatbelts don't work, and the airbag didn't deploy in a wreck. Also the speakers sound like they are blown and always have. The dealer could care less, the mechanics come up with completely assinine excuses for things- when they aren't being extraordinarily rude-don't expect help from the big co. either-nobody will help

It's a love/hate thing.
By JustinTimeDC on 06/14/05 14:09 PM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I did a ton of research and came up with this car because it is FUN! The t-roof pops off, hard top comes off, and you are out in the sun. Seating is excellent, I have a bad back and the support is the best! You can wipe down the entire inside with water or windex or whatever...keeping it clean is a snap. It looks fun, and no one has ever seen one before, so it gets a lot of attention. For a single person like me, it has tons of room for everything I need. I am a nurse and have to get to work no matter what the weather, and it gets through anything nature dishes out. I have had a computer/software problem but the dealership works with me and gives me loaners when needed.

Know what you are buying
By steve on 06/10/05 16:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I owned luxury cars before I purchased my SE3. I knew that I was getting a 4x4 first and luxury wasn't going to be there. What I found is that it is fun to drive, reliable and a real head turner. If you buy it knowing what you are getting then you probably won't be disappointed. If you buy a freelander cause it looks pretty and you want a "luxury" suv, then you will be disappointed.

Superior versatility
By Jeff Makowski on 06/10/05 12:43 PM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I'd been looking for a compromise between a full-sized SUV, for off- roading and poor weather safety, and a sedan, for better milage and handling. The Freelander hasn't disappointed. Very smooth ride, with little to no body roll, great visibility, superior snow/mud/muck handling, and I'm still getting relatively decent milage (18-20 mpg). The styling certainly sets it apart from most other vehicles in it's class. Very unique interior material (Technical Fabric), with excellent seat support and comfort. Plus, the hardtop is easily removable, looking forward to adding many summer driving miles. The Freelander is the compromise that doesn't feel like one.