2004 Land Rover Freelander Consumer Reviews 2

2004 Land Rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:
Oops I purchased a Freelandrover
By steenberg on 06/29/08 09:01 AM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Having now read all the reviews, I no longer feel alone. Day 2, my Landy was back in the shop, transmission replacement parts, repair 1 week. Brakes and rotors at oil change frequency. Consistent electrical problems. Coolant leak in side the care under drivers door mat. Non stop transmission problems, vibration on acceleration. 2 months after the first coolant leak, the same problem. Battery died. Electrical window problems. I have extended warranty and am $100 out, sick of taking the car back to the dealer. Car is not reliable. Dealer has been excellent! This year I have driven a rental car more than my own car, is this a lemon?

So far, So good
By jon d. on 05/27/08 12:25 PM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Freelander HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

fun to drive, has a few gremlins but nothing that's out of the ordinary.

BIG mistake!
By ihatelandrover on 05/21/08 23:21 PM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchasing this vehicle was the worst mistake I have ever made. A coolant leak caused me to need a new engine after only 50K miles. Land Rover fought me tooth and nail over this, although they admit that this was a factory defect. It took 2 months to get a new engine (at considerable cost to me, even with the extended warranty). This is the second Land Rover that died on me. This car also ate brakes and, like many Freelanders, the sunroof broke an hour after I drove it off the lot. This vehicle was not worth the money that I put into it. The poor quality of Land Rover customer and sales service only made the experience worse. I will never consider a Land Rover again.

You'll get to know the service guy
By Dave on 01/11/08 13:02 PM (PST)

2004 Land Rover Freelander SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car is very fun to drive and is a blast with the top off. The problem is keeping it out of the service department. The windshield wipers failed twice, windshield washer once, one recall for brake lights. The car wouldn't start at all the 2d day I had it & had to be towed back to the dealer, & problems with the transmission. The key is to enjoy it and then get rid of it before the warranty expires.

A Michigan Freelander
By Philip Dingle on 01/08/08 17:22 PM (PST)

2004 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

My Freelander is 4 years old now, and I am generally pleased with the ownership experience. There was an early-life electrical problem which required the car to be towed into the dealership, but with that fixed, there have been no other problems. Performance is quite adequate, ride and handling are good, comfort is reasonable, and it has handled the dirt roads in Michigan very well. Interior noise level is higher than I would like.

10:12
By Chris Harvey on 03/29/07 19:14 PM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Freelander HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Excellent engine, body, and interior features. Strong acceleration, smooth ride. Sunroof in good position. Agile on turns, good acceleration.

satisfied with my landrover
By sherry heverly on 03/14/07 15:34 PM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

i bought my freelander off the showroom floor, love at first sight!, it is my first suv and i bought it mostly for my dogs, who travel with me daily. all in all it is reliable. there have been some english quirks, but it starts up every day and gets me to work and i love the style and handling. the quirks have been, a recalled engine at 35,000 miles, brakes that squeal, it does go through brake pads quickly.but i am still satisfied with it.

Freelander "A true Lemon"
By B. Carpenter on 01/19/07 10:30 AM (PST)

2004 Land Rover Freelander HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love this car but, 2 Heater Cores, 2 Throttle bodies, multilple sensors, Alarm went bad, 3rd set of Brakes at 39K miles. Cheep plastic on the interior (which easily breaks), Windshield wipers that will not work from time to time. The good news is that my dealer has taken care of all of this. Now to get rid of it before the warranty expires...

British View
By Eddie on 12/15/06 06:00 AM (PST)

2004 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Hi Guys I have had a 1.8 Petrol engine manual for two years the only problem I have had is the three lights for ABS/TC & HD Kept lighting it took three attempts to fix the fault but after that I have enjoyed every moment with the car. I have found that over Mud and rough terrain this thing never lets me down. There are a few issues I have like the front seats are not very comfy for long drives but other than that the car is OK. I have done 20,000 miles in mine I have not had to replace the tires and Brakes as yet. I will be replacing this one with a New Diesel next week with an Auto engine.

Love this Small and Sporty SUV
By joncourage on 07/23/06 10:23 AM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Freelander HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

We've really enjoyed having our Freelanders (2 2004's). We enjoyed the first so much we bought a second. It's a sporty, competent, and sharp- looking little SUV. It rides great as a commuter, and handles off-road (in our case beach and woods) adeptly. I'd feel confident going just about anywhere in it. We've put a decent amount of mileage on it and have had only a handful of very minor problems. We find the car comfortable and well- designed, although it's smaller size limit it's carrying capacity. We bought a roof cargo carrier to help compensate.