2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:
Horrible reliability
By philashe on 03/16/11 11:50 AM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the car at 63,000 miles. Donated the car to charity at 67,000 miles. Drove for 4,000 miles until oil cooler and transmission cooler failed within a week of each other. After the failures the car needed major engine and transmission work, estimated to be around $9000 to repair. This was after a $4000 service. Car cost $1 per mile in repairs on top of the regular expenses you expect (fuel, regular maintenance, insurance). Most third-party shops are unable to work on the vehicle, requiring trips to the dealer. Insurers consider this a luxury car and the premiums are very high. Very expensive car to try to keep running. Buy a bus pass and good walking shoes. You'll be left stranded.

I love my Freelander
By KATHLEENC on 04/29/10 14:17 PM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I did my homework before buying and wasn't discouraged by some of the bad reviews. Am I ever glad! It is very reliable, I have never spent less on repairs, looks great. The AWD works extremely well in Snow and I feel very safe in all weather conditions - which is important with my kids in the vehicle. Maybe some Freelander's are lemons but mine is a GEM. The other good thing about this vehicle is that it is unique - not a lot of others on the road. Excellent handling and performance.

Nothing but a headache!!
By Woodstock36 on 04/17/10 12:15 PM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

It will get you out of just about anything weather wise. Very expensive to fix, called land rover dealer $125.00 an hour for labor, not to mention the parts. It's a great SUV if you have tons of money to sink into it. 56,000 miles, both back windows are broke, keep falling down, back door closed, never to reopen, screaming belt, hanging muffler, now to top it off, its overheating, after sitting just a few min. In 40 degree weather. I have found this situation disheartening, that they would make such a nicely designed vehicle but such poor quality. I have had many vehicles, and have never had so many things go wrong like this, I would expect these things with 100,000 miles on it, maybe even more

Mine is ok
By azetterm1 on 04/09/10 10:19 AM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

After reading a lot of negative reviews on-line about the Freelander I decided to purchase one anyway, figuring that most people that wright reviews do so because they have had a problem. I was right, I have had my Land Rover for 6 months now with no problems except a dead battery, which is normal after 6 years. I checked the carfax report before I purchased the vehicle and there were no issues in the past. Some common problems that I read online were brake issues, thou I have not had any problems I upgraded the brakes anyway just to be on the safe side. Brakes warp because of heat, so I added slotted brake rotors which improve ventilation and ceramic pads which create less heat and dust.

JUNK!
By David Nadeau on 11/17/09 00:53 AM (PST)

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

2 days after purchase, check engine light on..return to dealer..Needs new motor...common for this model..Ford Warranty ESP kicks in..$9600.00 for a new motor! Then Differential goes..now right front axle is gone...all covered under warranty...but it has spent more time in the shop then in my garage...Can't wait to get it back so I can trade the piece of junk!

My Land Rover is a paper wieght
By Lo Lo on 05/08/09 19:08 PM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

At 42 thousand miles my engine needed to be replaced. 2 thousand miles after the warrenty was ended. I looked on line and found this to be a cronic problem. Several webite dedicated to Freelander that were lemons sonme had replaced the engine 2 or three times. All my service was done at the dealership. After the engine was replaced the car overheated again. The dealership said the headbolts needed to tightened (can't belive they had the nerve to tell me that)...I am scared to drive this car.. Do some research .. dont buy one

So far, So good
By jon d. on 05/27/08 12:25 PM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

fun to drive, has a few gremlins but nothing that's out of the ordinary.

10:12
By Chris Harvey on 03/29/07 19:14 PM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Excellent engine, body, and interior features. Strong acceleration, smooth ride. Sunroof in good position. Agile on turns, good acceleration.

Freelander "A true Lemon"
By B. Carpenter on 01/19/07 10:30 AM (PST)

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love this car but, 2 Heater Cores, 2 Throttle bodies, multilple sensors, Alarm went bad, 3rd set of Brakes at 39K miles. Cheep plastic on the interior (which easily breaks), Windshield wipers that will not work from time to time. The good news is that my dealer has taken care of all of this. Now to get rid of it before the warranty expires...

Love this Small and Sporty SUV
By joncourage on 07/23/06 10:23 AM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

We've really enjoyed having our Freelanders (2 2004's). We enjoyed the first so much we bought a second. It's a sporty, competent, and sharp- looking little SUV. It rides great as a commuter, and handles off-road (in our case beach and woods) adeptly. I'd feel confident going just about anywhere in it. We've put a decent amount of mileage on it and have had only a handful of very minor problems. We find the car comfortable and well- designed, although it's smaller size limit it's carrying capacity. We bought a roof cargo carrier to help compensate.