Used 2004 Land Rover Freelander SE3 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

Very fun to drive
By Andrew Gates

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

It has been almost 2 years driving this car and I really like it. A few months ago I've notice that the fuel consumption was higher than normal. I took it to the Lad Rover Dealer and they said it was the fuel pump. For my surprise, I did not have to pay for anything, since it was a recall. If you drive a 2004 Freelander, take it to the dealer to get the fuel pump replaced. I also noticed that after the fix, the gear changes are more smooth.

Exterior design Fun to drive The Harman Kardon speakers sounds great.

Fuel economy

You'll get to know the service guy
By Dave

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car is very fun to drive and is a blast with the top off. The problem is keeping it out of the service department. The windshield wipers failed twice, windshield washer once, one recall for brake lights. The car wouldn't start at all the 2d day I had it & had to be towed back to the dealer, & problems with the transmission. The key is to enjoy it and then get rid of it before the warranty expires.

Removeable top, off-roading

Landrover needs competent design engineers capable of producing a car that won't break something every other month

fun
By De Sass

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love my SE3. Its easy to get in and out of, it handles great and it's just plain fun to drive. I have always driven pickups, so I was a little concerned about low seating, but I sit up high pretty well. I haven't driven it off road yet, except for our driveway, which is dirt and stone uphill, lol. But it takes it much smoother than any of my trucks did, lol.

The removable hardtop,the smooth ride, the awd, it's sporty look.

Relocate the dashtop cupholders, not very easy to reach and it blocks the clock. Make it a little more fuel efficent. Bigger inside doorhandles.

The Critics are WRONG!
By Stefan King

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Critics of this cool little SAV were WRONG. I signed the dotted line to purchase, then read the reviews and became nervous. All of my fears were unwarranted. Performance? Spirited performance is how Land Rover describes it and they're 100% right. True, it's a small displacement V6 which means that the upper rpm range is where the fun is! Leave the shifter in SPORT mode and FUN. Mash the throttle from the light and it zips from 0-60 in 8 seconds. Try this in a Trailblazer. Handling is very good in dry and especially wet weather. It loves the curves and handles them with confidence. Sluggish at times? Top speed was around 125 - left a Tahoe a Navigator and a Civic Si in the dust!

Removable top, heated seats stay on after the pulling the ignition key (until you open the door) Nice for cold and windy days. Harmon Kardon sub woofer really thumps. 9 speakers. Range Rover-like headlamps. Rear wiper comes on automatically when in reverse (while front wipers are on).

Manual transmission! More interior lights. Not many more complaints. I love this vehicle!!! GET ONE!!

Rocky Mt Rover
By Rocky Mts

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I moved to Colorado from Louisiana this summer and decided to trade in my little sports car for a more snow-worthy vehicle. For me, a single guy with no kids, the Freelander SE3 was perfect: inexpensive but unique, fun to drive, agile on road and off, practical, and (best of all) providing an open air driving experience. I am very happy so far with the SE3.

Removable top panels, unique styling, fun to drive, all-weather capabilities.

More power, better gas mileage, a lockable glove box.