Used 2004 Land Rover Freelander SE SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Land-rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

wish i would have read these reviews before buying!!
By jferguson74

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

i bought my freelander in july of 2011 it only had 55,000 miles and got a good deal on it. only put 3,000 miles on it since i got it and have spent over $4,000 in repairs!!!!! starter, head gasket, window motor, radiator, etc! almost everything. its so hard to find someone to work on it and the parts and labor are ridiculous. once we get it out of the shop this time we are trading it in!!!! do not waste your money... it may sound like a good deal but its not worth the money and aggravation!!!

rotten rover
By surreyman

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased in 2007 this 2004 model had done only 15,000 miles. The first thing to go wrong was a fuel pump at 15,500 miles. The lr dealer did not want to know neither did lr head office. Then the window regulators went within weeks in the back. Finally, having serviced the car every six months and at 35,000 miles the turbo went. The workshop said I should use an lr new turbo due to the quality so I laughed and said I had had it with lr quality. I found an independent shop reconditioning turbos and got one for another workshop to fit. That's $2500 instead of $3300 at the dealers. So about half the car value retail and close to trade in prices.

Favorite Features

space height performance economy

Suggested Improvements

build it better. use quality components remember used parts are pointless when priced at new prestige car levels. they are for old cars because customers couldn't afford them new so the parts have to be relevant

Oops I purchased a Freelandrover
By steenberg

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Having now read all the reviews, I no longer feel alone. Day 2, my Landy was back in the shop, transmission replacement parts, repair 1 week. Brakes and rotors at oil change frequency. Consistent electrical problems. Coolant leak in side the care under drivers door mat. Non stop transmission problems, vibration on acceleration. 2 months after the first coolant leak, the same problem. Battery died. Electrical window problems. I have extended warranty and am $100 out, sick of taking the car back to the dealer. Car is not reliable. Dealer has been excellent! This year I have driven a rental car more than my own car, is this a lemon?

Favorite Features

Style, exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

Engine and electrical system, braking system.

BIG mistake!
By ihatelandrover

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchasing this vehicle was the worst mistake I have ever made. A coolant leak caused me to need a new engine after only 50K miles. Land Rover fought me tooth and nail over this, although they admit that this was a factory defect. It took 2 months to get a new engine (at considerable cost to me, even with the extended warranty). This is the second Land Rover that died on me. This car also ate brakes and, like many Freelanders, the sunroof broke an hour after I drove it off the lot. This vehicle was not worth the money that I put into it. The poor quality of Land Rover customer and sales service only made the experience worse. I will never consider a Land Rover again.

Favorite Features

Land Rovers are "neat" cars -- they look nice and can be fun to drive. The name makes you feel elite.

Suggested Improvements

Improved reliability!

A Michigan Freelander
By Philip Dingle

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

My Freelander is 4 years old now, and I am generally pleased with the ownership experience. There was an early-life electrical problem which required the car to be towed into the dealership, but with that fixed, there have been no other problems. Performance is quite adequate, ride and handling are good, comfort is reasonable, and it has handled the dirt roads in Michigan very well. Interior noise level is higher than I would like.

Favorite Features

The front end appearance has 'attitude'. The electrically heated windscreen. The 3-mode transmission: normal, sport, tap- up/down.

Suggested Improvements

The Freelander really needed a diesel engine to make it stand out in the North American market place and to give it class-leading fuel consumption. At 24 MPH/1000 rev/min, (72 MPH = 3000 rev/min) in top gear, it is not a relaxing cruiser.