Used 2004 Land Rover Freelander HSE SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Land-rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

Worst Car Ever Seriously!!!!!!!
By wildcats_fan

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

After owning one and spending thousands I couldn't begin to describe how bad these Freelander's actually are. If you read this and think your getting a good deal on one then take my advice and run.. It's a known fact that they are a ticking time bomb. I waisted thousands on it and never once felt as if I were going to make it to the next destination without it breaking down. If you really want to know how bad it really was... 17 trips to Landrover and that was under Waranty. After the warranty expired I spent about seven thousand on it at local repair shops and it was literally falling apart the day I traded it off. I was one of the lucky ones and actually got rid of it before it blew up....

Favorite Features

Absolutely NONE!!!!!!!!!

Suggested Improvements

Scrap the vehicle and purchase something else.

Horrible reliability
By philashe

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the car at 63,000 miles. Donated the car to charity at 67,000 miles. Drove for 4,000 miles until oil cooler and transmission cooler failed within a week of each other. After the failures the car needed major engine and transmission work, estimated to be around $9000 to repair. This was after a $4000 service. Car cost $1 per mile in repairs on top of the regular expenses you expect (fuel, regular maintenance, insurance). Most third-party shops are unable to work on the vehicle, requiring trips to the dealer. Insurers consider this a luxury car and the premiums are very high. Very expensive car to try to keep running. Buy a bus pass and good walking shoes. You'll be left stranded.

Favorite Features

Interior was well appointed. Reasonable ride quality for a small wheelbase. All wheel drive system was nice on muddy and rutted dirt roads.

Suggested Improvements

Engine and transmission failures are common in this vehicle. Vehicle needs more reliability in this area. Tall drivers, over 6' or so, might have a difficult time getting the steering wheel positioned correctly. Not reliable enough to use as a daily driver. Not reliable enough for off-road use. Free AAA membership for the frequent towing you'll need when you drive a Freelander and get stranded when the limp-home mode fails.

I love my Freelander
By KATHLEENC

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I did my homework before buying and wasn't discouraged by some of the bad reviews. Am I ever glad! It is very reliable, I have never spent less on repairs, looks great. The AWD works extremely well in Snow and I feel very safe in all weather conditions - which is important with my kids in the vehicle. Maybe some Freelander's are lemons but mine is a GEM. The other good thing about this vehicle is that it is unique - not a lot of others on the road. Excellent handling and performance.

Favorite Features

Great Looks. Great Handling.

Nothing but a headache!!
By Woodstock36

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

It will get you out of just about anything weather wise. Very expensive to fix, called land rover dealer $125.00 an hour for labor, not to mention the parts. It's a great SUV if you have tons of money to sink into it. 56,000 miles, both back windows are broke, keep falling down, back door closed, never to reopen, screaming belt, hanging muffler, now to top it off, its overheating, after sitting just a few min. In 40 degree weather. I have found this situation disheartening, that they would make such a nicely designed vehicle but such poor quality. I have had many vehicles, and have never had so many things go wrong like this, I would expect these things with 100,000 miles on it, maybe even more

Favorite Features

Capability in the winter weather, handled better than my 4x4 truck, the tight steering, and the ride quality.

Suggested Improvements

Land rover seriously needs to make a more quality vehicle. Only way I would ever purchase another one, it would have to have a full blanket warranty, then I would get rid of it after expiration.

Mine is ok
By azetterm1

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

After reading a lot of negative reviews on-line about the Freelander I decided to purchase one anyway, figuring that most people that wright reviews do so because they have had a problem. I was right, I have had my Land Rover for 6 months now with no problems except a dead battery, which is normal after 6 years. I checked the carfax report before I purchased the vehicle and there were no issues in the past. Some common problems that I read online were brake issues, thou I have not had any problems I upgraded the brakes anyway just to be on the safe side. Brakes warp because of heat, so I added slotted brake rotors which improve ventilation and ceramic pads which create less heat and dust.

Favorite Features

Looks nice, fun to drive, and handles well.

Suggested Improvements

More space inside.