2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:
wish i would have read these reviews before buying!!
By jferguson74 on 06/12/12 07:09 AM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

i bought my freelander in july of 2011 it only had 55,000 miles and got a good deal on it. only put 3,000 miles on it since i got it and have spent over $4,000 in repairs!!!!! starter, head gasket, window motor, radiator, etc! almost everything. its so hard to find someone to work on it and the parts and labor are ridiculous. once we get it out of the shop this time we are trading it in!!!! do not waste your money... it may sound like a good deal but its not worth the money and aggravation!!!

Horrible reliability
By philashe on 03/16/11 11:50 AM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the car at 63,000 miles. Donated the car to charity at 67,000 miles. Drove for 4,000 miles until oil cooler and transmission cooler failed within a week of each other. After the failures the car needed major engine and transmission work, estimated to be around $9000 to repair. This was after a $4000 service. Car cost $1 per mile in repairs on top of the regular expenses you expect (fuel, regular maintenance, insurance). Most third-party shops are unable to work on the vehicle, requiring trips to the dealer. Insurers consider this a luxury car and the premiums are very high. Very expensive car to try to keep running. Buy a bus pass and good walking shoes. You'll be left stranded.

rotten rover
By surreyman on 10/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased in 2007 this 2004 model had done only 15,000 miles. The first thing to go wrong was a fuel pump at 15,500 miles. The lr dealer did not want to know neither did lr head office. Then the window regulators went within weeks in the back. Finally, having serviced the car every six months and at 35,000 miles the turbo went. The workshop said I should use an lr new turbo due to the quality so I laughed and said I had had it with lr quality. I found an independent shop reconditioning turbos and got one for another workshop to fit. That's $2500 instead of $3300 at the dealers. So about half the car value retail and close to trade in prices.

Very fun to drive
By Andrew Gates on 05/17/10 13:08 PM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

It has been almost 2 years driving this car and I really like it. A few months ago I've notice that the fuel consumption was higher than normal. I took it to the Lad Rover Dealer and they said it was the fuel pump. For my surprise, I did not have to pay for anything, since it was a recall. If you drive a 2004 Freelander, take it to the dealer to get the fuel pump replaced. I also noticed that after the fix, the gear changes are more smooth.

I love my Freelander
By KATHLEENC on 04/29/10 14:17 PM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I did my homework before buying and wasn't discouraged by some of the bad reviews. Am I ever glad! It is very reliable, I have never spent less on repairs, looks great. The AWD works extremely well in Snow and I feel very safe in all weather conditions - which is important with my kids in the vehicle. Maybe some Freelander's are lemons but mine is a GEM. The other good thing about this vehicle is that it is unique - not a lot of others on the road. Excellent handling and performance.

Nothing but a headache!!
By Woodstock36 on 04/17/10 12:15 PM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

It will get you out of just about anything weather wise. Very expensive to fix, called land rover dealer $125.00 an hour for labor, not to mention the parts. It's a great SUV if you have tons of money to sink into it. 56,000 miles, both back windows are broke, keep falling down, back door closed, never to reopen, screaming belt, hanging muffler, now to top it off, its overheating, after sitting just a few min. In 40 degree weather. I have found this situation disheartening, that they would make such a nicely designed vehicle but such poor quality. I have had many vehicles, and have never had so many things go wrong like this, I would expect these things with 100,000 miles on it, maybe even more

Mine is ok
By azetterm1 on 04/09/10 10:19 AM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

After reading a lot of negative reviews on-line about the Freelander I decided to purchase one anyway, figuring that most people that wright reviews do so because they have had a problem. I was right, I have had my Land Rover for 6 months now with no problems except a dead battery, which is normal after 6 years. I checked the carfax report before I purchased the vehicle and there were no issues in the past. Some common problems that I read online were brake issues, thou I have not had any problems I upgraded the brakes anyway just to be on the safe side. Brakes warp because of heat, so I added slotted brake rotors which improve ventilation and ceramic pads which create less heat and dust.

JUNK!
By David Nadeau on 11/17/09 00:53 AM (PST)

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

2 days after purchase, check engine light on..return to dealer..Needs new motor...common for this model..Ford Warranty ESP kicks in..$9600.00 for a new motor! Then Differential goes..now right front axle is gone...all covered under warranty...but it has spent more time in the shop then in my garage...Can't wait to get it back so I can trade the piece of junk!

My Land Rover is a paper wieght
By Lo Lo on 05/08/09 19:08 PM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

At 42 thousand miles my engine needed to be replaced. 2 thousand miles after the warrenty was ended. I looked on line and found this to be a cronic problem. Several webite dedicated to Freelander that were lemons sonme had replaced the engine 2 or three times. All my service was done at the dealership. After the engine was replaced the car overheated again. The dealership said the headbolts needed to tightened (can't belive they had the nerve to tell me that)...I am scared to drive this car.. Do some research .. dont buy one

Oops I purchased a Freelandrover
By steenberg on 06/29/08 09:01 AM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Having now read all the reviews, I no longer feel alone. Day 2, my Landy was back in the shop, transmission replacement parts, repair 1 week. Brakes and rotors at oil change frequency. Consistent electrical problems. Coolant leak in side the care under drivers door mat. Non stop transmission problems, vibration on acceleration. 2 months after the first coolant leak, the same problem. Battery died. Electrical window problems. I have extended warranty and am $100 out, sick of taking the car back to the dealer. Car is not reliable. Dealer has been excellent! This year I have driven a rental car more than my own car, is this a lemon?