Used 2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Land-rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

Worst Car Ever Seriously!!!!!!!
By wildcats_fan

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

After owning one and spending thousands I couldn't begin to describe how bad these Freelander's actually are. If you read this and think your getting a good deal on one then take my advice and run.. It's a known fact that they are a ticking time bomb. I waisted thousands on it and never once felt as if I were going to make it to the next destination without it breaking down. If you really want to know how bad it really was... 17 trips to Landrover and that was under Waranty. After the warranty expired I spent about seven thousand on it at local repair shops and it was literally falling apart the day I traded it off. I was one of the lucky ones and actually got rid of it before it blew up....

Favorite Features

Absolutely NONE!!!!!!!!!

Suggested Improvements

Scrap the vehicle and purchase something else.

wish i would have read these reviews before buying!!
By jferguson74

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

i bought my freelander in july of 2011 it only had 55,000 miles and got a good deal on it. only put 3,000 miles on it since i got it and have spent over $4,000 in repairs!!!!! starter, head gasket, window motor, radiator, etc! almost everything. its so hard to find someone to work on it and the parts and labor are ridiculous. once we get it out of the shop this time we are trading it in!!!! do not waste your money... it may sound like a good deal but its not worth the money and aggravation!!!

Horrible reliability
By philashe

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the car at 63,000 miles. Donated the car to charity at 67,000 miles. Drove for 4,000 miles until oil cooler and transmission cooler failed within a week of each other. After the failures the car needed major engine and transmission work, estimated to be around $9000 to repair. This was after a $4000 service. Car cost $1 per mile in repairs on top of the regular expenses you expect (fuel, regular maintenance, insurance). Most third-party shops are unable to work on the vehicle, requiring trips to the dealer. Insurers consider this a luxury car and the premiums are very high. Very expensive car to try to keep running. Buy a bus pass and good walking shoes. You'll be left stranded.

Favorite Features

Interior was well appointed. Reasonable ride quality for a small wheelbase. All wheel drive system was nice on muddy and rutted dirt roads.

Suggested Improvements

Engine and transmission failures are common in this vehicle. Vehicle needs more reliability in this area. Tall drivers, over 6' or so, might have a difficult time getting the steering wheel positioned correctly. Not reliable enough to use as a daily driver. Not reliable enough for off-road use. Free AAA membership for the frequent towing you'll need when you drive a Freelander and get stranded when the limp-home mode fails.

rotten rover
By surreyman

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased in 2007 this 2004 model had done only 15,000 miles. The first thing to go wrong was a fuel pump at 15,500 miles. The lr dealer did not want to know neither did lr head office. Then the window regulators went within weeks in the back. Finally, having serviced the car every six months and at 35,000 miles the turbo went. The workshop said I should use an lr new turbo due to the quality so I laughed and said I had had it with lr quality. I found an independent shop reconditioning turbos and got one for another workshop to fit. That's $2500 instead of $3300 at the dealers. So about half the car value retail and close to trade in prices.

Favorite Features

space height performance economy

Suggested Improvements

build it better. use quality components remember used parts are pointless when priced at new prestige car levels. they are for old cars because customers couldn't afford them new so the parts have to be relevant

Very fun to drive
By Andrew Gates

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

It has been almost 2 years driving this car and I really like it. A few months ago I've notice that the fuel consumption was higher than normal. I took it to the Lad Rover Dealer and they said it was the fuel pump. For my surprise, I did not have to pay for anything, since it was a recall. If you drive a 2004 Freelander, take it to the dealer to get the fuel pump replaced. I also noticed that after the fix, the gear changes are more smooth.

Favorite Features

Exterior design Fun to drive The Harman Kardon speakers sounds great.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy