2004 Land Rover Freelander SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Land-rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

2004 Freelander Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

Sort Reviews by

wish i would have read these reviews before buying!!
By jferguson74

2004 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

i bought my freelander in july of 2011 it only had 55,000 miles and got a good deal on it. only put 3,000 miles on it since i got it and have spent over $4,000 in repairs!!!!! starter, head gasket, window motor, radiator, etc! almost everything. its so hard to find someone to work on it and the parts and labor are ridiculous. once we get it out of the shop this time we are trading it in!!!! do not waste your money... it may sound like a good deal but its not worth the money and aggravation!!!

rotten rover
By surreyman

2004 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased in 2007 this 2004 model had done only 15,000 miles. The first thing to go wrong was a fuel pump at 15,500 miles. The lr dealer did not want to know neither did lr head office. Then the window regulators went within weeks in the back. Finally, having serviced the car every six months and at 35,000 miles the turbo went. The workshop said I should use an lr new turbo due to the quality so I laughed and said I had had it with lr quality. I found an independent shop reconditioning turbos and got one for another workshop to fit. That's $2500 instead of $3300 at the dealers. So about half the car value retail and close to trade in prices.

Favorite Features

space height performance economy

Suggested Improvements

build it better. use quality components remember used parts are pointless when priced at new prestige car levels. they are for old cars because customers couldn't afford them new so the parts have to be relevant

Oops I purchased a Freelandrover
By steenberg

2004 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Having now read all the reviews, I no longer feel alone. Day 2, my Landy was back in the shop, transmission replacement parts, repair 1 week. Brakes and rotors at oil change frequency. Consistent electrical problems. Coolant leak in side the care under drivers door mat. Non stop transmission problems, vibration on acceleration. 2 months after the first coolant leak, the same problem. Battery died. Electrical window problems. I have extended warranty and am $100 out, sick of taking the car back to the dealer. Car is not reliable. Dealer has been excellent! This year I have driven a rental car more than my own car, is this a lemon?

Favorite Features

Style, exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

Engine and electrical system, braking system.

BIG mistake!
By ihatelandrover

2004 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchasing this vehicle was the worst mistake I have ever made. A coolant leak caused me to need a new engine after only 50K miles. Land Rover fought me tooth and nail over this, although they admit that this was a factory defect. It took 2 months to get a new engine (at considerable cost to me, even with the extended warranty). This is the second Land Rover that died on me. This car also ate brakes and, like many Freelanders, the sunroof broke an hour after I drove it off the lot. This vehicle was not worth the money that I put into it. The poor quality of Land Rover customer and sales service only made the experience worse. I will never consider a Land Rover again.

Favorite Features

Land Rovers are "neat" cars -- they look nice and can be fun to drive. The name makes you feel elite.

Suggested Improvements

Improved reliability!

A Michigan Freelander
By Philip Dingle

2004 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

My Freelander is 4 years old now, and I am generally pleased with the ownership experience. There was an early-life electrical problem which required the car to be towed into the dealership, but with that fixed, there have been no other problems. Performance is quite adequate, ride and handling are good, comfort is reasonable, and it has handled the dirt roads in Michigan very well. Interior noise level is higher than I would like.

Favorite Features

The front end appearance has 'attitude'. The electrically heated windscreen. The 3-mode transmission: normal, sport, tap- up/down.

Suggested Improvements

The Freelander really needed a diesel engine to make it stand out in the North American market place and to give it class-leading fuel consumption. At 24 MPH/1000 rev/min, (72 MPH = 3000 rev/min) in top gear, it is not a relaxing cruiser.

satisfied with my landrover
By sherry heverly

2004 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

i bought my freelander off the showroom floor, love at first sight!, it is my first suv and i bought it mostly for my dogs, who travel with me daily. all in all it is reliable. there have been some english quirks, but it starts up every day and gets me to work and i love the style and handling. the quirks have been, a recalled engine at 35,000 miles, brakes that squeal, it does go through brake pads quickly.but i am still satisfied with it.

Favorite Features

i love the handling, the back window goes down for my dogs, takes regular gas, fun to drive, reliable, great styling, my dealership offers good service.

Suggested Improvements

the ac could be a bit better, gas mileage, the expense of repairs and maintenance.

British View
By Eddie

2004 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Hi Guys I have had a 1.8 Petrol engine manual for two years the only problem I have had is the three lights for ABS/TC & HD Kept lighting it took three attempts to fix the fault but after that I have enjoyed every moment with the car. I have found that over Mud and rough terrain this thing never lets me down. There are a few issues I have like the front seats are not very comfy for long drives but other than that the car is OK. I have done 20,000 miles in mine I have not had to replace the tires and Brakes as yet. I will be replacing this one with a New Diesel next week with an Auto engine.

Favorite Features

The Car looks good I like the rear tailgate you have plenty of room and don't have to heave over a lump to get in the back also the window goes down so you can have that down as well in the summer. Cross country this thing goes where a lot of others don't go. I have never got stuck anywhere

Suggested Improvements

Seats seem to cramp you in at the sides of legs gets a bit uncomfortable on long drives New Freelander 2 has solved this. Cheap plastic in the cabin needs to be replaced again the 2 has this seen to

I really like my 04 Freelander
By Randall Thomas

2004 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

We use the Freelander as a daily driver on pavement, with only a few off-road trips. It is comfortable on long trips, delivers gas mileage in the low 20's mpg, is fun to drive, and distictive. It is very confidence inspiring on wet and icy roads here in the mountains of Eastern KY, handles great, and is easy to park. We have had no reliability issues and the dealer experience has been outstanding--even organizing an off-road trip in West Virginia and a free restaurant meal! I'm only sorry that Land Rover has (for now) discontinued the Freelander in the USA, giving me something of an 'orphan' feel- -kinda like how I feel about my old MG.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive system, sporty handling, comfortable interior, quality feel, looks, ruggedness

Suggested Improvements

Offer more engine options, bring the Freelander back to North America!

2004 Land Rover Freelander SE
By clwoolner

2004 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

A fun and sporty vehicle to drive. I have had no mechanical or structural problems with the Freelander. It's been safe and consistently reliable and handles well in all weather conditions (snow, sleet, rain). Gas mileage is average and is noticably worse when A/C is used. Overall, very pleased with my purchase!

Favorite Features

Sunroof, 2 gloveboxes, Hill Decent Control, Shiftronic is fun to use.

Suggested Improvements

The heating and cooling system could be improved. It seems to take a while for the car to heat up. The air conditioning system also tends to cool in sync with how fast you're driving. Other little things: change seat controls from manual to automatic, put radio controls on steering wheel.

I'd buy another one
By Nancy M

2004 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have both a Mercedes and Land Rover Freelander. The Land Rover is a lot of fun to drive. I am impressed with the manufacturer warranty and how I was treated when I had a minor problem. I will buy from Land Rover again!

Favorite Features

Style, lots of cup holder.... I feel very safe driving my Land Rover.

Suggested Improvements

Power seats