2003 Land Rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:
Freelander G4 - Special Edition
By BritinUSA on 12/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I read the edmunds.com review prior to buying and I found the Editor Reviews to be rather misleading. There is a great case to be made for the Freelander over the BMW, namely price. Sure it does not have all the extra bells and whistles offered by the luxury SUV but then this is not a luxury SUV, it is an Off-road vehicle that has been designed to handle well on the roads. The sport-shift is especially useful in snow/ice conditions as it allows the vehicle to be driven around town with minimal use of the breaks (helps prevent loss of traction). All round this is a great car.

Lovin' It!
By shebby69 on 11/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Well, after I totalled my Toyota Echo I wanted something that could safely handle changing weather conditions. I test drove everything from Mazda Tributes to Ford Escapes to Isuzu Rodeos to Toyota Rav4's and this was by far my favorite! I don't really understand why many people say the car is not fast, or doesn't shift well. If you manually shift in the "sport" mode the Rover is actually very fast! I love it and can't wait to test it out in warm weather!!!

The curse of Lucas electrics lives
By aatk on 11/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Land Rover Freelander HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I'm a Brit. I bought a British car built by scousers. I should have known better. This must have been a Friday vehicle. So far we're up to a new engine management computer, a new nav system, 2 heads (for the stereo) and it's back in the shop for a problem with the airbags that they can't seem to diagnose. There have been other minor problems (faulty power windows etc). At least it's all under warranty... If it hadn't lost 1/3 of it's value in 12 months I'd be getting rid of it and going back to a BMW. As it is I'll probably amortise the cost over another year.

FREE THE FREELANDER
By ideafixes on 11/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

the baby-land rover is definately FUN. Great to drive! the mileage is very good, handling is wonderful, the sound parallels the bose. It is fairly silent, purrs mostly. Seats could give more thigh support, back could be bigger and most IMPORTANT: it needs some serious side and curtain airbags. English ergonomics are fun, but not usual. Havent gotten it into snow, but it has gone in water pretty deep, with the New York rain. Nice inner city car. Long trips may be stressing due to lack of good seats.

Works great for me
By Keals on 11/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This Landrover has been great. The front window heater did not work at first. I took it in and the fixed it. The ride is fun. It rides like a BMW. The leather seats and sunroof feels and look great. The Freelander is not so big that you can't park in a parking spot. It feels and drives like a large SUV. Being able to change the radio at the steerting wheel is a big plus.

I LOVE my freelander
By cross-country on 11/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my Freelander in May of 2003 and have driven from the East coast to the West coast and back again, stuffed full of possessions and a very drooly dog. I found that it had everything I needed to deal with the mountains, the desert, and the cross- country trip. I also find it to be quite efficient around town. It is lythe enough to handle Los Angeles traffic at rush hour, while being sturdy enough to deal with big rigs on the interstate.

Mixed Emotions
By St. Louis Owner on 10/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have a love/hate relationship with my Freelander. The quality isn't what I would expect from LR. Two main issues I have had is watering spraying out of the AC after 10 minutes of driving and problems with my locks. I have had it in the shop at least 7 times to have the AC fixed but they couldn't figure it out and their answer was 'That is how the car was designed'. I am VERY DISAPPOINTED with the customer service group at Land Rover. I hope you do not have to deal with them for any complaints. Very rude people. Don't get me wrong, I still love my freelander but I now second guess if I over paid for something I had higher expectations for.

Don't buy into the disgruntled naysayers
By Freelander02 on 10/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I got one of the first Freelanders in the USA. The people who have had problems are very vocal, as is human nature... but there are TONS of these running around with no problems at all. If you want something to just drive and ignore, don't get one. If you plan to get something for ENJOYMENT you'll love this thing. I routinely go off-road and in all the trips I've done I've run right around stuck Jeeps, Discoveries and made a Defender look silly trying to climb a hill behind me. Some of the info on Edmunds is wrong though- Do your homework to get more accurate info.

the best midsize suv there is
By j skaggs on 10/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

it rides better then a cadillac. It rides real smooth, its quite, it handles curves like a sports car, and it is real roomy

Freelander best of both worlds
By mikerover on 10/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

The Freelander has been excellant both on and off road. Suprisingly comfortable it has not let me down on or off road. It out performs all the compact SUVs I have driven, including Honda and Toyota and I slam dunked a Chevy trail blazer off road. Its a great car.