Used 2003 Land Rover Freelander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Land-rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

Worst Vehicle I have ever bought
By sripley

2003 Land Rover Freelander HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This SUV has a major design flaw affecting the Head Gasket, causing Coolant to seep into the Oil and Cylinders. The SUV cannot be repaired once this issue occurs. I would not recommend buying this vehicle, as it will only cost you thousands of dollars and in the end result in the SUV's engine seizing.

Favorite Features

None-- worst car

Suggested Improvements

See above Head Gasket Failure

2003 Land Rover FREELANDER 6-Cyl. 2.5 L
By Bellap

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

When I bought this vehicle 3/07. I thought it was sporty and great size. With all the bells and whistles. Soon after buying this found that one of the tires was bad, had to have that replaced. Then found my brake lights had issues. Took back to the dealership advised they never worked properly. All within 1 mo. of buying this. Then recall: Brake Light Switch Replacement Recall Action P004. Which came after 6mos of me owning this. Then 2/19/08 my engine over heated. We thought oh, maybe new thermostat. Nope, the whole engine has to be replaced. Guess what? It can't be found. Currently stuck in a car rental warranty only covers 6 days. So I am SOL. Do not buy this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Looks sporty, heated seats. That's about it.

Suggested Improvements

The back window apparently comes off. But it's far too heavy for me to even try. Defroster on drivers side doesn't work properly. Cup holders, everything spills. No pick up at all. Don't put an AKIA engine in it. Put a real engine in it. Gas hog for such a little vehicle.

Sell before warranty ends!
By alesha1

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I liked my car. But the brakes go out a lot. Antenna definitely not in a good location, was ripped off by a tree. It's kinda loud, when you drive. As soon as the warranty expired at 50,000 within a month I needed a new g filter $500 Landrover would do nothing. And now at 70,000 I was loosing coolant car will not start. Apparantly like everyone else I need an engine. I called Landrover the day it would not start, they acted like they had no clue why. Once I got on here I know they know what's wrong with it they are just trying to get me to tow it there so they can charge me an arm and a leg to fix it.

Favorite Features

I like the way it handles on the road.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of it before the warranty ends, the only problem I tried no one would give me any money for it. I would have had to roll over half of what I owe.

Too many whiners...
By Hippoman

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

A number of people have had drivetrain problems with this truck but I've had none. There are some things that could have been built with a little more quality just like about anything else on the market. This is a European vehice, not a Ford, GM, or anything else people expect to change the oil every 25K miles and run it to death. It takes a certain amount of care and maintenence. If you want to drive a LR it's going to cost you no matter what model you buy. If you just want a sporty SUV to take your kids to school in, buy a Jeep.

Favorite Features

It will go many places other "SUV's" couldn't begin to. It has a very tight suspension and is the best driving vehicle I've ever owned

Suggested Improvements

It would just be nice to see the cost of replacement parts/service come down a little.

Very disappointing
By My headache is gone!

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

LR had a poorly build entry level SUV. Hard to attract current owners to move up to high end models. It eats up brake quickly. Cost almost $600 to change brake pads and rotars every 10K miles. V6 engine is weak and doesn't have any pick up power. Coolant leak even after the dealership fixed twice. Extremely high maintenance cost for a SUV/car that costs only mid $20K. When we purchased the Freelander, dealer was rude since it was the cheapest model out of all the LR models. The value depreciates quickly. After having it for 4 years, I finally sold it.

Favorite Features

Handles well in rough weather

Suggested Improvements

brakes, reliability, A/C, service