Used 2003 Land Rover Freelander Consumer Reviews - 128 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Land Rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

2003 Land Rover Freelander

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

My biggest headache
By 2003 Freelander

2003 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle certified December of 2006 and I've had nothing but problems. First, I had to have the ball bearing replaced (under warranty $3,000). Then the engine ran hot 3x's, each time the coolant had run out and had to be replaced. The 4th time I had to take it in due to the coolant again, it turned out that I needed a new engine! Thank God for warranties ($7,000). Now it's in the shop again because the gasket needs replacing. I spoke with a Land Rover mechanic that told me to get rid of it. He also said that there have been several problems with the Freelander in general. Further, he said that I will continue to have problems that are expensive if I keep it.

Works very well in the snow. I live in Cleveland, Ohio where there are horrible winters and this truck maneuvers very well.

The engine needs some serious, serious work.

Not much "Free"Lander-ing
By Ms Meliss

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This SUV is beautiful inside & out...looks can be very deceiving! This vehicle is FUN to drive, & being a Mom it has lots of spots to store stuff. My fondness is most relevant in its ease of all vantage points while driving (No blind spots!) The down side has been since my purchase I have had to replace my brakes twice, averaging every 16,000 miles! Although covered under warranty, I had to replace the fuel pump, had the car towed to the dealership, upon pick-up, I was horrified to find that my SUV had sustained body damage while at the dealership! Currently, it has overheated three times! After reading previous reviews, and escalating fuel costs, I'm TOTALLY convinced on a Hybrid!

Love the interior comforts, height of vehicle above driving surfaces, storage, appointments of controls and overall appearance of vehicle.

QUALITY under the hood and in all the other areas that apply to the everyday DRIVING of the vehicle!

Worst Vehicle I have ever bought
By sripley

2003 Land Rover Freelander HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This SUV has a major design flaw affecting the Head Gasket, causing Coolant to seep into the Oil and Cylinders. The SUV cannot be repaired once this issue occurs. I would not recommend buying this vehicle, as it will only cost you thousands of dollars and in the end result in the SUV's engine seizing.

None-- worst car

See above Head Gasket Failure

2003 Land Rover FREELANDER 6-Cyl. 2.5 L
By Bellap

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

When I bought this vehicle 3/07. I thought it was sporty and great size. With all the bells and whistles. Soon after buying this found that one of the tires was bad, had to have that replaced. Then found my brake lights had issues. Took back to the dealership advised they never worked properly. All within 1 mo. of buying this. Then recall: Brake Light Switch Replacement Recall Action P004. Which came after 6mos of me owning this. Then 2/19/08 my engine over heated. We thought oh, maybe new thermostat. Nope, the whole engine has to be replaced. Guess what? It can't be found. Currently stuck in a car rental warranty only covers 6 days. So I am SOL. Do not buy this vehicle.

Looks sporty, heated seats. That's about it.

The back window apparently comes off. But it's far too heavy for me to even try. Defroster on drivers side doesn't work properly. Cup holders, everything spills. No pick up at all. Don't put an AKIA engine in it. Put a real engine in it. Gas hog for such a little vehicle.

Sell before warranty ends!
By alesha1

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I liked my car. But the brakes go out a lot. Antenna definitely not in a good location, was ripped off by a tree. It's kinda loud, when you drive. As soon as the warranty expired at 50,000 within a month I needed a new g filter $500 Landrover would do nothing. And now at 70,000 I was loosing coolant car will not start. Apparantly like everyone else I need an engine. I called Landrover the day it would not start, they acted like they had no clue why. Once I got on here I know they know what's wrong with it they are just trying to get me to tow it there so they can charge me an arm and a leg to fix it.

I like the way it handles on the road.

Get rid of it before the warranty ends, the only problem I tried no one would give me any money for it. I would have had to roll over half of what I owe.