Used 2003 Land Rover Freelander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Land-rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

2003 Land Rover Freelander

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

Worst purchase ever
By cb

2003 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my LR used with 40000 miles & thank God I bought the extended warranty! It was in the shop 18 times in 16 months-1 time it sat there for 6 months waiting for an engine that cost me 15,000 dollars! Coolant leaks coils going out window motors broken. At 44,000 miles new engine-I waited 6 mos for that one. 5 months later same problem- I needed another new engine! Out of my 18 trips to the dealer 15 were the same engine problems. The dealer bought it back as a lemon. Oh yeah-it was towed 7 of the 18 times because it didn't run. Never again will I buy a LR. Buyer beware-you will have problems!

Favorite Features

I didn't drive it enough to have any

Suggested Improvements

Learn how to make cars that do not need new engines-or have new engines available

Wish I knew
By Jholl

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I wish I would have seen these reviews before I bought the Freelander in April. I have only driven it about 5 weeks since I bought it. It has been in the shop the rest of the time. The place I bought it from wouldn't even deal with me. Neither would Land Rover. A trailing arm split in half, wish I could post pics, from a pot hole. The new problem is the fuel system. It was replaced a week ago and malfunctioned, leaving me stranded on the highway. I have seen the truck on a flatbed more than I have seen myself behind the wheel. I had to get AAA because I ran out of insurance tows. Oh yeah if an extended warranty is your thought, don't think it because LR nor anyone else will give you one.

Favorite Features

I'll have to get back to you when I have driven it for more than a couple of weeks at a time.

Suggested Improvements

Customer service, reliability, extended warranties

I'm buying American!
By uscarbuyer

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

My Land Rover owned me. I have never owned a vehicle that required so much maintenance. I have never off-roaded in my Land Rover, nor have I had a fender bender or accident. I purely drive on the pavement to and from work, and in town driving to the movies, dinner, etc. My car is a southern car and has only seen snow for two weeks in the almost 5 years it has owned me. I cannot recommend buying any Land Rover! Anything that goes wrong you are told it is the "British design". Brakes and batteries are expected to last 10-20K miles. I cannot remember the number of recall notices, too many to count. At times the windows won't power down. I thought I would enjoy the durability. Nope. All of the cap covers & compartment covers fall off. My drink holder spring fell out for no apparent reason. I am not tough on my car & it is literally falling apart. I will find plastic pieces on the floor & have no idea where they came from. I'm buying American!

Favorite Features

None.

Suggested Improvements

Oh, they stopped making the car. Apparently they realize that it is horrible. Too bad I was stuck with it!

My biggest headache
By 2003 Freelander

2003 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle certified December of 2006 and I've had nothing but problems. First, I had to have the ball bearing replaced (under warranty $3,000). Then the engine ran hot 3x's, each time the coolant had run out and had to be replaced. The 4th time I had to take it in due to the coolant again, it turned out that I needed a new engine! Thank God for warranties ($7,000). Now it's in the shop again because the gasket needs replacing. I spoke with a Land Rover mechanic that told me to get rid of it. He also said that there have been several problems with the Freelander in general. Further, he said that I will continue to have problems that are expensive if I keep it.

Favorite Features

Works very well in the snow. I live in Cleveland, Ohio where there are horrible winters and this truck maneuvers very well.

Suggested Improvements

The engine needs some serious, serious work.

Not much "Free"Lander-ing
By Ms Meliss

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This SUV is beautiful inside & out...looks can be very deceiving! This vehicle is FUN to drive, & being a Mom it has lots of spots to store stuff. My fondness is most relevant in its ease of all vantage points while driving (No blind spots!) The down side has been since my purchase I have had to replace my brakes twice, averaging every 16,000 miles! Although covered under warranty, I had to replace the fuel pump, had the car towed to the dealership, upon pick-up, I was horrified to find that my SUV had sustained body damage while at the dealership! Currently, it has overheated three times! After reading previous reviews, and escalating fuel costs, I'm TOTALLY convinced on a Hybrid!

Favorite Features

Love the interior comforts, height of vehicle above driving surfaces, storage, appointments of controls and overall appearance of vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

QUALITY under the hood and in all the other areas that apply to the everyday DRIVING of the vehicle!