2003 Land Rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:
Red Rover
By Andy King on 10/02/05 13:14 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle has been great for us, and I enjoy driving it. It's a high- scale suv with a very attractive exterior.

The best Truck I've Owned
By Suzq on 10/01/05 15:29 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

In my years of truck ownership I've owned them all. Land Rover is by far the best. This car drives like my son's BMW three series on the road, and better than my old Hummer off road. People trip when they see this car; which is its only down side. There's constantly finger prints on my windows. The seats are really comfortable, even on a straight through 1,000 mile road trip. It handles great in all weather, and like a dream in the rockies. Only minor complaints for this car like the cupholder, but nothing to cry about. I've only had to bring it in to the dealer for the oil change.

consumer nightmare
By brian brickey on 09/05/05 18:01 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

The vehicle is fun to drive and handles well in adverse weather conditions.BUT it has a few problems, like the brakes wear out faster than any other vehicle you only get about 24000 miles out of a set of brakes and i don't do a whole lot of braking. I came to find out from other freelander owners that the brakes tend to heat up fast and then it set off your traction control warning. it tends to create more of a problem in the summer.The gas mileage for an suv this size is not the greatest.one of the biggest problems is you can only get the filter from a landrover dealer you just cant take it to the nearest jiffy lube to have your oil changed.it also doesnt have alot of room for car seats .

Not Happy
By Julie on 05/29/05 10:52 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my Freelander 16 months. So far the battery had to be replaced, a vaccum hose has been replaced, the heater core went and when fixing that the vaccum motor had to be replaced. I am now on my 3rd radio due to problems with the radio or GPS. And my new problem is the lighter has quit working. Of course this has all been covered by warranty but should all this be wrong with a new car and an inconvience to me as I had to keep taking the vehicle to the dealership until my husband bought the LR3 so now they bring me a loaner and pick mine up. I really like the design of the vehicle but service was not good until we became a 2 Landrover Household.

Think twice
By Randy on 02/14/05 21:28 PM (PST)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car in 2003 because I wanted a sporty, fun and upscale SUV. Since then, I have had numerous problems with this vehicle. These problems include the engine not shutting off while no key in the ignition, severe alignment issues that could not be fixed by Land Rover and an A/C system that shoots ice out of the vents on hot days. I am very diappointed in this vehicle.

Freelander
By Brian Bisgood on 12/31/04 07:14 AM (PST)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

It's been a great vehicle, still is.

Freelander winning our hearts...
By Morvac on 12/12/04 06:30 AM (PST)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

We was looking for a small SUV for my wife (Ford Escape/Explorer) but came away with this and couldn't be happier. We've put a few miles on it now and have came away impressed. It took awhile to get used to the non- traditional interior placement of items. Driving is impressive, road conditions do not matter and it inspires confidence you're going to get to wherever you're going. We average 20.1 MPG which isn't bad since I'm used to 17 with my Explorer. Plus the 4 yr/50k mile warranty is nice. All in all we would buy again. We plan to use it 98% on pavment; the rest maybe for camping, fall foliage or something - nothing hard core.

Great SUV
By salamander on 09/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I like the looks, the way it handles. It really turns heads as it zips thru traffic. BTW is the heated windsheild a standard option on the SE.?

Buyers Beware
By Jocita on 08/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Filed Lemon Law on my vehicle! Ashamed that I had to give the vehicle up after a year. Had to take car over 13 times for brake squeak and got fed up. Electrical problems: Wipers ,back window, & radio shorted out. Back seat had annoying squeak when rode over bumps. Dealer could not fix problems. When shifting automatic, it was easy get gear shifter to get stuck between D & 4 on the gear shifter.

What a GEM!
By babbs on 08/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first SUV, previously I have owned Saabs, Audis, and a BMW. My Freelander handles as well or even better than any of my cars ever have. I receive many compliments on the look of the car. I feel extremely safe driving in all conditions, it handles well in all weather. It stops on a dime, and has excellent turning capabilities for an SUV. I will always own a Freelander. The performance, reliability, warranty, style make it a must have for anybody and any lifestyle. Perfect for someone that wants an SUV without feeling like you are driving a huge car.